Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Remote Mount Turbos Daily Driven...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 09:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Remote Mount Turbos Daily Driven...

On dropped cars? My car is pretty freakin low and I don't want the turbo to bottom out a lot. Plus... i'm afraid of debris chipping away at the turbo itself. I heard the sock does real well protecting the turbo... but it's got me scared because I heard it robs a lot of power and I live in a area with tons of bumps, hills, and chunks of road missing. haha

The goal is to make 475-500whp on the car @ 5-6lbs. Gonna cam it as well... so I run a little less boost to save the engines life as much as I can.

I know a front mount is a better choice but I have no choice because I can't afford 7k right now plus supporting mods. So before the flaming begins... there's no answer.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

The sock just covers the filter and prevents it from suckin up water. if you're that worried about it just fab up a small sheet metal "skid plate" to deflect the rocks.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think TRT has been making new turbo hangers that raise the level of the tc a few inches. You might try to give them a call and see what they can do for you.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dementia
The sock just covers the filter and prevents it from suckin up water. if you're that worried about it just fab up a small sheet metal "skid plate" to deflect the rocks.
Oh yea? Hmm... not a bad idea. How hard is it to remove the sock? So if I go to the track or whatever or i'm going somewhere expecting to race and I know it's not gonna rain. Just a little nervous about breakin the turbo because in Jersey we get all 4 seasons pretty rough. I am gonna be driving this car everyday as well. Or whenever I need to anyway.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

The sock is just for wet weather. It has 1/10th the surface area of the filter and is not meant to be used when under boost. The kit comes with a shield, that if used right will make the sock only necessary under more than moderate rain.
We dont use any special hangers, just take extra effort to mount the turbo as it should be. We do sometimes use a different "I" pipe that we like better.
If your car is lowered, you will have to be extra careful
Old 03-17-2007, 11:58 PM
10 Second Club

i'm lowered, and my car is pretty much daily driven, except in the rain. my turbo and charge pipe hangs really low, but i've learned to drive with a lowered car.... you just have to be very careful!
Old 03-18-2007, 11:24 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by trtturbo
The sock is just for wet weather. It has 1/10th the surface area of the filter and is not meant to be used when under boost. The kit comes with a shield, that if used right will make the sock only necessary under more than moderate rain.
We dont use any special hangers, just take extra effort to mount the turbo as it should be. We do sometimes use a different "I" pipe that we like better.
If your car is lowered, you will have to be extra careful
I'm guessing more then moderate rain would be floods and whatnot?

Is it hard to R&R the sock? When you say extra careful... do you mean for water and things of that nature? Or going over speed bumps and crap like that. That is what has me most worried... not going over speed bumps right. Hitting a patch of water that is more than what I thought it was. Driving on the highway and hit a series of massive holes. haha

I would be putting the sock on when it rains or if I know it's gonna rain hard and I know I was gonna drive it. But if it's drizzling out or raining hard but not enough to flood anything. Would I have to put the sock on then? It's mounted right next to the rear isn't it? So in order for the turbo to get hit... the rear would have to get smashed no?
Old 03-18-2007, 01:51 PM
TECH Regular

As long as the turbo is properly mounted it should be ok. Florida doesn't have the best roads either and I have never had an issue with the trubo.

The charge pipes actually hang slightly lower than the turbo at the point where they begin to run from the F/L control arm bolt/mount to the curve upwards towards the Maf. That's the only issue that I have scraped slightly.

The sock is rather easy to change even on the side of the road since it just slides over the air filter. In a pretty bad rain storm I did manage to pull in some water into the charge pipes and knew it instantly. The motor did not lock up but it begin to mis slightly. All I had to do was remove the elbow to the TB, start the vehicle and rev it up to blow whatever water was in the pipes and away I went. But with the sock on that eliminates that problem as long as you don't hit a massive puddle.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

here's a pic of what TRT did for me, on STOCK height though

Old 03-18-2007, 11:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99Z28LS1
here's a pic of what TRT did for me, on STOCK height though

How long have you been riding around with that kinda power and boost? Ever bring it to the track?
Old 03-19-2007, 12:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

i've had the kit on there and ran at 470ish rwhp for almost a year and just recently added the cam and more power. no track times, need a clutch for that
Old 03-19-2007, 05:44 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99Z28LS1
i've had the kit on there and ran at 470ish rwhp for almost a year and just recently added the cam and more power. no track times, need a clutch for that
Ever had a way to gauge how fast? Raced a certain car that ran a certain time or whatever? Just hoping I could post 125mph traps with that much power.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:50 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

475-500RWHP? There are some trick-flow H/C packages out there (as well as some others) putting that much down and for cheaper... Just saying...
Old 03-19-2007, 07:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dementia
yes do fab up some kind of metal sheet or something similar....that cover won't keep out water... if it gets hit with water it will get right on the filter
Old 03-19-2007, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Frost
475-500RWHP? There are some trick-flow H/C packages out there (as well as some others) putting that much down and for cheaper... Just saying...
Not near as nice to drive if your wanting to keep a stock driving car.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Old 03-19-2007, 09:43 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree... just trying to aid his uh.... "boost progression" Once folks realize that with a safe tune 550rw (or more for some) is one touch away on the boost controller, and they have already paid for everything, why NOT have the power?
Old 03-19-2007, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Frost
but where i live there arent but 2 turbocharged LS1 camaros and im the fastest. i could've got a H/C packaged, but wouldnt it've been better to say im turbocharged instead of head and cam? just the reason why i went turbo. before i went with STS i ordered an SLP cam package and speedinc's AFR 205 complete and WAS going to go that route until they told me the heads were going to take a lot longer
Old 03-19-2007, 12:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had mine on for about a month now and only drove it in slight rain once (roads were wet and it was "misting" out)...couldn't even tell a difference. I don't even have the filter shield on either...screw that sock!

I drilled into the panhard bar and used an exhaust hanger, in addition to a shorter I-pipe to secure the turbo up higher than normal. It's tucked up there pretty well and I have received compliments on how high I actually got it. The over the axle pipe bangs the bottom of the car when I go over a BIG bump...but TRT will be fixing that this week . I am a little concerned with driving in the rain. Big storms can hit hard and fast down here in DFW. I need to get another friken car!

ALSO, chances are, you not come anywhere close to making 475rwhp unless you're putting down close to 8psi...just a FYI...
Old 03-19-2007, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

some poeple get lucky with their numbers, i know my car made 472/501 with 7.5psi on stock motor with matching fuel. i now make more because of a cam from TRT, but i've always been lucky when it came to dyno time

Quick Reply: Remote Mount Turbos Daily Driven...