Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Eaton Roots Blower for LS1 no cutting???

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Eaton Roots Blower for LS1 no cutting???

Now i barely ever go in the forced induction forum so i apoligize if this has been posted before. However, I was at an autoshow in detroit showing off the car www.mulliganmotorsports.com and the eaton guys took an interest in it. While I was talking to them I made the comment that they should produce a roots style blower that will fit under the cowl of a 4th gen f-body and they said that they do.... am i missing something? I have never heard of this. We came home yesterday and I looked it up. It seems that they have one heres the link:

http://www.mechtech-ms.com/mag4.php

It seems as if it utalizes the stock air lid piping and requires a shaft and two pillow blocks to turn the pully on the rear of the unit. I cant see there being room. Have any of you guys seen or heard of this? Im interested in learning more and Im a bit of a newby when it comes to forced induction for street applications. I see some posts where people have cut cowels and fabricated their own windshield wiper linkage. Im looking into options with no cutting (as im sure everyone is)

Thanx

Last edited by alamantia; 03-20-2007 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:14 AM
FormerVendor

Well, I have good news and bad news for you. The bad news is that the kit in your link is for a sandrail, and will not fit in a 4th gen F-body.

The good news is that I have made a kit using the same eaton 112 supercharger. Magnuson makes an exclusive blower setup for me, and I supply the rest of the parts needed for it to be installed in any 1998-2002 LS1 powered F-body.

Full details on the kit, and track videos can be seen here:

www.lmspeed.com

feel free to let me know if I can answer any questions for you.
Ed

BTW that '68 Camaro pro mod car is SICK!!!!
Old 03-21-2007, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ed @ Late Model Speed
thanks, if im real nice to them they let me work on it.

Anyway, what modifications would I have to make to my 2002 Z28 to get your blower to work?
Old 03-21-2007, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I have good news and bad news for you. The bad news is that the kit in your link is for a sandrail, and will not fit in a 4th gen F-body.

The good news is that I have made a kit using the same eaton 112 supercharger. Magnuson makes an exclusive blower setup for me, and I supply the rest of the parts needed for it to be installed in any 1998-2002 LS1 powered F-body.

Full details on the kit, and track videos can be seen here:

www.lmspeed.com

feel free to let me know if I can answer any questions for you.
Ed

Hey Ed, is it possible that down the line a larger blower will be available such as the new 122 and 122H? Or is there no room?
Old 03-21-2007, 10:30 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by alamantia
thanks, if im real nice to them they let me work on it.

Anyway, what modifications would I have to make to my 2002 Z28 to get your blower to work?

Nothing at all, this kit will show you up to 130RWHP improvement on an otherwise stock engine. Everything you need is included in the kit with the exception of a 90MM throttle body, since a lot of people already have those. If you don't have one, I can supply one for you. Give me a call when you have a few minuetes to talk, and I can answer some questions for you.

Thanks,
Ed
Old 03-22-2007, 01:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing at all, this kit will show you up to 130RWHP improvement on an otherwise stock engine. Everything you need is included in the kit with the exception of a 90MM throttle body, since a lot of people already have those. If you don't have one, I can supply one for you. Give me a call when you have a few minuetes to talk, and I can answer some questions for you.

Thanks,
Ed
are there any pictures of this system installed on a car??
im interested in going FI and not cutting the hell out of everything... so if you could show me exactly what needs to be trimmed that would be great
Old 03-22-2007, 02:13 PM
FormerVendor

Here are a couple pics of the completed install, and the cowl cut and patch panel.

When the bigger blowers become available, I do plan to try and fit them, and offer them as an upgrade to this kit, but untill I get one, I have no idea what will need to be done.

let me know what you think,
Ed
Attached Thumbnails Eaton Roots Blower for LS1 no cutting???-icblower-001rs.jpg   Eaton Roots Blower for LS1 no cutting???-picture-001rs.jpg   Eaton Roots Blower for LS1 no cutting???-picture-002rs.jpg   Eaton Roots Blower for LS1 no cutting???-picture-003rs.jpg  
Old 03-22-2007, 02:56 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,111 Likes on 729 Posts

Ed, does the plastic wiper tray need to be notched too or can it just lay over the notched section of the cowl?
Old 03-22-2007, 03:09 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

I would make the Kenne Bell C5 kit work before even trying with an Eaton. My .02 Im sure its possible.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The KB unit design is much taller than the Eaton. That is the problem with the f-body layout, almost 1/2 of the motor is tucked under the cowl. The Eaton just squeezes under the cowl with a little cutting.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:39 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by red fury
The KB unit design is much taller than the Eaton. That is the problem with the f-body layout, almost 1/2 of the motor is tucked under the cowl. The Eaton just squeezes under the cowl with a little cutting.
That sucks. Little cowl work and a hood...who needs wipers? lol
Old 03-22-2007, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know why everyone thinks the KB is taller than the Eaton. I got the measurements from Ed for the intercooled Eaton and it is about 10" tall from valley to top (unfortunately I don't have any pics of that). But I do have pictures showing that the KB unit is 9.5" tall from valley to top. So if the Eaton can fit SO CAN THE KENNE BELL!
Attached Thumbnails Eaton Roots Blower for LS1 no cutting???-kb-2.jpg   Eaton Roots Blower for LS1 no cutting???-kb-4.jpg  
Old 03-22-2007, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

is that a cobra KB or a ls1 KB?
Old 03-22-2007, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1 here is a pic from the same post I got those other 2 from...
Attached Thumbnails Eaton Roots Blower for LS1 no cutting???-blower-3.jpg  
Old 03-23-2007, 01:32 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Ed, does the plastic wiper tray need to be notched too or can it just lay over the notched section of the cowl?

Hi John,

The plastic panel just lays over the cut. It has a *slight* bump where it touches the back of the housing, but it looks way better than a cut would, and the hood seal is un-affected.

Ed
Old 03-23-2007, 09:33 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,111 Likes on 729 Posts

Nice. So if someone were to pull the blower off, and sell the car, the wiper tray can be intact... Sounds like a winner to me.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:39 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Nice. So if someone were to pull the blower off, and sell the car, the wiper tray can be intact... Sounds like a winner to me.

Exactly, it could be put back to stock and the previous work would be invisible.

I have a customer that's having me do a full install, and he agreed to let me post step by step pics of the install. I will be starting a new thread in the sponsor project section tomorrow. Should be a good way for everyone to see what's involved.

Ed
Old 03-23-2007, 12:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds good...I've been looking for something like this
Old 03-23-2007, 01:30 PM
FormerVendor

check it out, you guys can follow along:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-vehicle-projects-shop-tours/681605-late-model-speed-magnuson-f-body-install-start-finish.html

Ed
Old 03-23-2007, 04:20 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pardon my ignorance, but I don't understand why everyone is so interested in a roots style blower instead of the centrifugal? It would seem to me that for what the roots style kit costs, you could buy an intercooled centrifugal kit and not have the headaches of metal work and what not. Not to mention the ability to upgrade to a larger blower with ease when you need more power. Of the roots blown LS1's I've seen, none are making ultra-impressive power. I think a local C5 is making 550 RWHP with one on a H/C motor through an M6. The base ATI kit will get you close to that on a stock motor!

Maybe I'm missing something?

Quick Reply: Eaton Roots Blower for LS1 no cutting???