Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

650rwhp help on ignition...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 06:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 650rwhp help on ignition...

Oh boy...

Everything was going well... The car's all built and ready for the tune... She was pullin hard at 5800rpms easily making over 600rwhp... Then the ignition started "stuttering" or "poping" after 6000 on the 3rd pull (almost sounding like it was hitting the rev limiter, but wasnt)... WTF? After the stuttering, the engine would not fire (would crank but not fire)...

Pulled the plugs, their fine... All plug wires are on... The spark is not reaching the plugs, anyone have this problem? So we pulled the plug from the head and still had it in the wire and cranked the engine over... No spark from that plug? Fuses are all good and we checked the coil packs... Does anyone have some places to start or what could be happening besides the obvious?

I would estimate the car should easily make 900crank HP... can the factory ignition handle this amount of HP?

We did install the synergy 2-step but it was turned off for pulls... Dont know if that could cause something like this? Im still utilizing the factory pcm...

Im lost...
Old 04-06-2007, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you sure that you are getting enough fuel
Old 04-06-2007, 06:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by sevanseriesta
are you sure that you are getting enough fuel
Hello!McFly!
Originally Posted by Blownramair
So we pulled the plug from the head and still had it in the wire and cranked the engine over... No spark from that plug?
blownramair how did u check the coils?does the tuning software show anything odd?
Old 04-06-2007, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

No the tuning software does not show anything odd... otherwise we would have found out how to fix it? The tuner checked everything and we couldnt troubleshoot the problem... We checked the coils, fuses with the 12v battery/ volt checker... I know the ignition is grouned in the back of each head and dont know if something happend to them (too damn hott and couldnt see)...

Im stumped - he's never had this happen and I sure havnt...

Either way - I have one week to figure it out and git r' tuned...
Old 04-06-2007, 08:11 PM
Teching In

crank sensor?
Old 04-06-2007, 08:25 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Engine still won't run?
Old 04-06-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

no... the thing cranks and cranks, but she wont fire... i dont think any electrical transmission is getting to the coils... I dont know why the engine would run for 3 hard pulls "pop/ stutter @ 5800" then not run...

I obviously hurt/ broke something or fried a sensor/ wire...

Oil PSI was good, oil temp was okay, h2o temp okay, had enough fuel psi... Any ideas guys?
Old 04-06-2007, 09:48 PM
10 Second Club

its got to be something electrical if u have no spark from the coils to the plugs.does all the rest of the electrical on the car function and the software reads the ecu?
Old 04-06-2007, 09:59 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

worst case: broke a timing chain
best case: fuse out, relay out, fuel pump pickup came off
Old 04-06-2007, 10:03 PM
10 Second Club

am i the only one whose making sense in this thread?its very simple
if he says
"Originally Posted by Blownramair
So we pulled the plug from the head and still had it in the wire and cranked the engine over... No spark from that plug? "
its an old school trick.you basically connect the coil to the wire to the plug and ground the plug to the chassis or hold it in your hand and if it doesnt spark you have electrical issues.not timing chain,mechanical,not fuel,not pump issues.its either as PSJ said a relay or something else electrical in the system thats off.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

its electrical that im pretty sure of it... All's i know is when this thing is finally done... It's gonna be one bad ******... W/E the problem is, it's frustratin the **** outta me... I was thinking their was something i was ubruptly overlooking...

I'm not sure if i just find the most unique problems or just unlucky...

Atleast the good thing is i'll be able to somewhat keep up at Milan now...
Old 04-06-2007, 10:46 PM
10 Second Club

ok if u get power to the ecu and that it reads everything fine all the parameters and such thats a good start.u said u have power to the coils?if there is power to the coils they just arent energizing and then releasing to the wires/plugs.check all grounds.if u can a coil or 2 of urs on a buddys car to make sure they work.if the motor cranks ur starter and starter relay is fine.check the relay for the main ecu and check that the battery is grounded tothe chassis.if ur not getting spark just follow everything needed to achieve spark at the plug and go from there.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ddnspider
ok if u get power to the ecu and that it reads everything fine all the parameters and such thats a good start.u said u have power to the coils?if there is power to the coils they just arent energizing and then releasing to the wires/plugs.check all grounds.if u can a coil or 2 of urs on a buddys car to make sure they work.if the motor cranks ur starter and starter relay is fine.check the relay for the main ecu and check that the battery is grounded tothe chassis.if ur not getting spark just follow everything needed to achieve spark at the plug and go from there.
theres no way possible he killed all 8 coils at once.. check your coil grounds.. or yes you may have broke a timing chain.. the cam sensor controls spark.. so either that sensor OR a broken chain causing the cam not to rotate could cause your problem..

the chances of it being something indepth or in the tuning is minimal..

what kind of crank are you running?? anychance you lost the reluctor wheel??

Mike
Old 04-07-2007, 12:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ddnspider
its got to be something electrical if u have no spark from the coils to the plugs.does all the rest of the electrical on the car function and the software reads the ecu?
the rest of the car functions great and everything reads fine... no codes are being thrown at me
Old 04-07-2007, 01:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blacktransam
theres no way possible he killed all 8 coils at once.. check your coil grounds.. or yes you may have broke a timing chain.. the cam sensor controls spark.. so either that sensor OR a broken chain causing the cam not to rotate could cause your problem..

Mike
I have an aftermarket callies crank which definately can support the hp im pushin...

What gets me is if a sensor is down wouldnt the computer pick that up and throw a code?
Old 04-07-2007, 09:26 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by blacktransam

Mike
the tuning software would pickup on a sensor error which is why i asked about the tuning software.

are you getting 12 volts across the coils?
Old 04-07-2007, 10:36 AM
11 Second Club

not necessarily.. if the sensor faded out or sent eratic signals yes.. but if the sensor all out failed its possible that no it wouldn't pick anything up.. i'm assuming theres no DTC's stored or otherwise..and i'm not saying the rank couldn't handle the power.. i'm wondering if the reluctor wheel could have moved off..

Mike
Old 04-07-2007, 02:18 PM
10 Second Club

im assuming that the tuning software would say if something like that happened such as the reluctor wheel coming off,it would show an error within the software about the sensor
keep us updated....
Old 04-07-2007, 03:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

whats the odds that the factory computer got totally fried??? i'm not saying that it is, but could the car still crank over and other electrical parts still work if the computer is fried?

it seems kinda weird that it would be because everything else works on the car, im simply not getting spark to the coils...

All 8 coils were checked via 12v... all of them okay!
Old 04-07-2007, 03:55 PM
10 Second Club

the tuning software should have something to tell u if its connected to the ECU ie if the ecu is functioning.what someware are you using?

Quick Reply: 650rwhp help on ignition...