Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Any ATI users ditch the fan shroud?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 04:01 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any ATI users ditch the fan shroud?

I am still trying to get my 408/D1SC setup to run cooler, and I've noticed that its about impossible to get the ATI shroud to actually seal up to the radiator. Theres a good 1/2" gap on the sides. Also, it really isn't much of a shroud per se, more of a block off mounting plate. I was thinking of just losing the shroud and mounting the fan right to the radiator and using some foam to seal them up.

Has anyone tried this? This car is primarily street driven in town, and although it cools off on the open road, it tends to get hotter than I'd like in stop and go traffic.

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2007, 04:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of temps?
Old 04-12-2007, 04:15 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

I was up around 220 last summer at the highest, and that was on an 80 degree day. I would like to be able to use the A/C, but I gotta get it to run cool first.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:46 PM
FormerVendor

We have installed a second 9'' spal fan on a few cars from down south where it gets a little warm you should be able to find it on our website.It works very well for the warm climate cars.

Brent
Old 04-12-2007, 09:53 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

I should have mentioned I have already done EVERYTHING to improve the cooling on this car. Second 9" Spal fan, aluminum radiator, deleted PS and tranny cooler from radiator, bigger alternator, EWP, etc. It just needs better airflow.

Right now I'm thinking of adding a pusher in front or deleting the A/C (hate to). At highway speeds I'm fine, so its an airflow issue. I just need more fan.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:16 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We generally don't have a problem with keeping the temps down on the F Body cars once we add the Spal fan. Have you verified the fans are actually wired correctly so that the air is being drawn (puller fans) through the radiator, which is normally the culprit? More than likely you have, since you have done so much to try to keep it cool.
A Meziere electric water pump may help you out in traffic. Bob
Old 04-13-2007, 08:28 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am running a F1A on my 403 with the SLP high capacity radiator with the ATI shroud, ATI fan, and the 9 inch Spal fan and have no cooling problems at all.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:03 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

Yeah, I have verified that everything is functioning as it should as far as fan rotation and I already have an EWP.

I guess I just don't see the ati piece as being an actual "shroud" because the fan is maybe 3/4 of an inch off the radiator fins, it isn't like its going to draw from a much larger area than the fan anyway.

I'm pretty well burnt out on ******* with it, I barely enjoy the POS anymore. I swear if just one of my cars would run right I'd **** a goddamn golden brick. My GN would never hold oil psi, always ate up motors, the cars that did run OK were slow, and this one won't cool. I'll probably throw a pusher on the condenser and see what happens. My 140 amp alternator can't keep up as it is, might as well send it up in smoke!
Old 04-13-2007, 12:24 PM
10 Second Club

man hope you get it worked out
Old 04-13-2007, 12:35 PM
kp
8 Second Club

You will never get a definate answer, all you can do is try it and come to your own conclusions. I have no shroud and a single 16" fan, no a/c. I can street drive mine forever on a 90 degree day but it gets up in the 220-230 range after a while. Doesnt bother me at all since these engines were designed to run at that temp. If you are wanting to run 180 degrees with the a/c on with an iron block on a 90 degree day in rush hour traffic it aint gonna happen without some serious modifications.

But you are right, if you want 100% reliable then leave it slow and stock. Sell everything and buy a new z06, have a nice 10 second capable stock car and end up having less money in it then a FI f-body and it will even be worth something still in a few years. Could get boring after a few months of doing nothing but waxing it though lol.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:18 PM
7 Second Club

a Fast reliable car with all the creature comforts is never cheap and always a pain in the ***...

whats your CR and what is you idle AFR?
Old 04-13-2007, 05:14 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Yeah, I hear you KP. Trust me, selling it has crossed my mind. I just don't like the idea of having a belly button car. I think the A/C is gonna come out, if its that hot I probably wouldn't drive it anyway. I'll mess with it next week, no time now.

My CR is around 8.8 I think, A/F at idle bounces around but its normally in the 14-15 to 1 range.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:14 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by TS6
Yeah, I hear you KP. Trust me, selling it has crossed my mind. I just don't like the idea of having a belly button car.
I think most people here feel the same way, or we would be on corvettforum comparing shifter *****
Old 04-13-2007, 07:44 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp
I think most people here feel the same way, or we would be on corvettforum comparing shifter *****

Yeah, I'm comfortable with my ****, but don't feel like comparing my **** with a bunch of other dudes.

Besides, two close friends have vettes and all I do is make fun of them for being "Corvette guys". You know, washing the car every day even though its never been dirty enough to warrant it, buying corvette shirts/hats/chairs/etc., and thinking a "mod" is only applicable to the exterior of the vehicle, with the exception of custom floor mats and what not. If I bought a vette I'd be forced to eat large quantities of **** for too many years for being a hypocrite.

Any tips for getting to the bolt that holds the line in at the bottom of the condenser?
Old 04-13-2007, 07:48 PM
kp
8 Second Club

I havent had a/c in a long time on one of these, cant help ya much there. But I know it took me like 20 minutes to take it all off this car when I got it a few years ago
Old 04-13-2007, 08:19 PM
Motorboater

been a few years but getting at the bolt on the condenser is easy from what i recall, just get it from underneath the car..

i was having cooling problems pretty bad last summer,we used to have to stop and let it cool down if i beat on it with the one ATI fan...then I added two pushers and it runs cold as ****. I took as set of stock fans and hacked them until they'd fit in front of the radiator, then put each on on its own relay and wired the relays to a switch in the car. I wired the fans backwards so they are pushing instead of pulling, works like a charm, car cools down FAST. i have a stock radiator, stock water pump, stock alternator, etc.
not sure if stock fans are reversible exactly, but they haven't blown up on me yet
Old 04-13-2007, 10:11 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Yeah, I was planning on trying some pusher fans on the condenser. I'm really just concerned about the amp draw. As it is I'm getting pretty low at idle (12.0 volts), and its all **** I can't shut off (EWP, fans, ecm, FP).

So did you keep the ATI shroud in with your pusher fans?
Old 04-13-2007, 10:13 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Silverghost, I met you at the Speed Inc open house last year, is your car gonna be there this year as well? I'd like to see your fan setup.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:44 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
been a few years but getting at the bolt on the condenser is easy from what i recall, just get it from underneath the car..

i was having cooling problems pretty bad last summer,we used to have to stop and let it cool down if i beat on it with the one ATI fan...then I added two pushers and it runs cold as ****. I took as set of stock fans and hacked them until they'd fit in front of the radiator, then put each on on its own relay and wired the relays to a switch in the car. I wired the fans backwards so they are pushing instead of pulling, works like a charm, car cools down FAST. i have a stock radiator, stock water pump, stock alternator, etc.
not sure if stock fans are reversible exactly, but they haven't blown up on me yet

Oh, and if you have any pics of how you got the fans in there that would be really helpful.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:41 PM
Motorboater

as long as the weather is ok my car will be on display on the driveway in front of the shop door at the openhouse, yeah.