Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Custom built A2A ICs

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 734 Likes on 400 Posts

Default Custom built A2A ICs

Hey all, anyone know of any shops building A2A ICs? I ve reasoned with myself enough to ditch my hood latch support and bumper filler panel to fit a front mount A2A IC. I think going a2a just gunna be much less of an expense then the a2w intake manifold I was considering. Which would need a HX, resevior, pump, lines, etc. I found a really nice IC thats almost exactly what I need from Shearer Fab. However, due to its size, id like to flip the dual 2.5" inlets from the bottom corner of the tanks to basically face the rear tires so to speak. This would greatly help me fit this IC or one like it. Id basically be hanging the tanks just below the core support so I can simplify the 2.5" charge piping from turbos. Otherwise, in current configuration, itd turn into a big project routing the pipes around front of frame, turn back in front of front tires, than thru the fender wells. I like that Shearer uses good Garret cores, but at 4.5" thick, its also a really tight fit between grill and core support with my condenser coil. I ve located a vertical style condenser coil if the 4.5" IC is my only option(pictured here).
https://shearerfabrications.com/products/sf06-01005

I also found a similiar IC from Treadstone that I could likely make work due toit being smaller in height and thickness(3.5"). Id tuck it up higher and just elbow down towards ground and then under core support. Im not really sure if the Treadstone is enough IC tho. Also wish the outlet was 3.5" instead of 3". Fwiw, it appears Treadstone does make same IC in a 4.5" thick version.

https://www.treadstoneperformance.co...cooler/p104596

65' Chevelle, combo is twin 64/66 TurboSmart turbos, 402" iron 6l w/ls3 heads, and 93 octane. Hoping for 850-950 rwhp thru a ls3 hi ram, 4l80e and ford 9"...respectively. I ll be thrilled with 800rwhp and quick turbo spool/effeciency.
Old 04-09-2024, 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 497 Likes on 384 Posts

You probably wouldn't need a HX for the A2W setup.
I run an A2W setup on my streetcar with just the cooler, reservoir in the back with an in-tank pump and it works very well.
Old 04-09-2024, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

Really? Cooler in intake mani? I ve ran these set ups on my built ford lightnings with whipples. We always had upgraded HXs, even with fans. I didnt know of anyone who didnt run a hx on these style a2w set ups. Its new to me otherwise.
Old 04-10-2024, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

I think blowers generate a much higher amount of heat into the incoming air than an appropriately sized turbo.
I've gone out and made multiple 40-140mph hits on the street and seen very little rise in IAT's, I'm also using a fast acting RIFE IAT sensor so it picks up the temperature variations pretty quickly.
You could always do the A2W and add a HX later if temps become an issue.
Highest IAT's I would ever see runnning 14-15lbs. after back to back pulls was just over 100 degrees.
If I leave the pump off it only gets a couple degrees higher, the latent heat ability of water to absorb heat is simply incredible.
The following 2 users liked this post by The BallSS:
rkupon1 (04-10-2024), spray280 (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

Interesting. How does the IC shed the heat once it absorbs it from blower? You re prolly correct about the SCs, I know it doesnt take much to see 150*+ IAT2s, in which it ll start pulling timing and feel sluggish. I ran a killer chiller on my 1st lightning build. I ve only ever ran twinscrew blowers with ic s in the intake mani. Just assumed the hx was the other half of the process.
Old 04-10-2024, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by rkupon1
Interesting. How does the IC shed the heat once it absorbs it from blower? You re prolly correct about the SCs, I know it doesnt take much to see 150*+ IAT2s, in which it ll start pulling timing and feel sluggish. I ran a killer chiller on my 1st lightning build. I ve only ever ran twinscrew blowers with ic s in the intake mani. Just assumed the hx was the other half of the process.
If you're talking a roots setup with an integrated IC like an LSA blower or something, I think the blower compresses the air much more quickly but much less efficiently so while you get fast boost you also get fast heat hence the need for a HX.
A turbo is more gradual and imparts far less heat so a HX isn't always needed, in fact I rarely see a turbo setup using a HX.
Appropriately sizing the A2W components is critical too, my IC is oversized sized for 2,000hp and I run a 5-gal reservoir tank with a Rule 2000 bilge pump.
I'd over size the IC and run a large tank to dissipate the heat as best as possible in the reservoir, I think if you did that you could get away without having a HX.
I haven't even tried using ice yet which I'm excited to try this summer.
The following users liked this post:
rkupon1 (04-10-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 04:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

https://www.extremeturbosystems.com/

makes custom intercoolers and the second is Shearer but you already found them.

ETS has their own cores but will also build you a custom intercooler with a Garrett or Bell core if you prefer.

I ditched my a2w setup on the rx7 due to nasty heat soak with the procharger. It would literally heat up the water just sitting there at idle. Its also weight right off the nose of the car so it was nice losing 60lbs.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ls1Rx-7:
rkupon1 (04-11-2024), The BallSS (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ls1Rx-7
https://www.extremeturbosystems.com/

makes custom intercoolers and the second is Shearer but you already found them.

ETS has their own cores but will also build you a custom intercooler with a Garrett or Bell core if you prefer.

I ditched my a2w setup on the rx7 due to nasty heat soak with the procharger. It would literally heat up the water just sitting there at idle. Its also weight right off the nose of the car so it was nice losing 60lbs.
That's so wild to me, I guess it depends on where the IC is located as well?
I've heard Prochargers can really build up a lot of heat, the car I own now was previously a Procharger car but the owner had too many issues with the setup.
Mine is in the nose of the car right behind the grill and I can have it idling in the garage for a long time and it never heat soaks even when its hot outside.
I just kick the pump on from time to time while cruising and watch the IAT's come down lol.
Old 04-13-2024, 08:45 AM
TECH Addict

So here is the A2A IC im having built. I hope its enough. This is the kinda part id rather grow into vs grow out of. This core is only slightly bigger than the similiar treadstone one for over half the cost. Its using a Bell core, hoping that helps some too.

Old 04-13-2024, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

If you are going to build your own intercooler, a couple points which will help with flow (source: I build my own). I would categorize these as "nice to have" not a necessity, but they do noticeably improve A2A performance. The A2W work better, but the A2A is just too simple to pass up.

Shops gripe about this stuff, but it does make a difference and usually worth doing if you are going to pay for a custom anyways.

- First, is put in the absolute biggest thing you can fit. Don't size it to the turbo/flow/etc... Look at how much space you have, where it is going and put in the absolute largest thing you can. Trust me - just like fuel injectors, you will one day wish you had a larger intercooler.

- End tank design makes a noticeable difference in flow. On the inlets, if you are able to do a 3d shape with the tank, a rolled endtank (not a square) drives a better temperature drop. Not a great picture, but you can see the rolled design on the inlet tank (upper left). You can buy lots of good endtank options now-days, so I would push them to put something decent there, rather than just box and weld.

On a long end tank with side exit flow, a flow divider makes a noticeable difference on the A2A pressure drop (like cuts it in half). You should consider a flow divider on the outlet tank. Example of a flow divider below. They are pretty easy to make and make a sizeable difference when done right.

The following users liked this post:
rkupon1 (04-13-2024)
Old 04-13-2024, 01:04 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Do you have someone who will be building the turbo kit?
Old 04-13-2024, 02:32 PM
TECH Addict

My buddy and I going to do it ourselves.
The guy building the intercooler is CG fabrications.
https://cgfabrication.com/products/c...om-intercooler
Old 04-13-2024, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NoGo
If you are going to build your own intercooler, a couple points which will help with flow (source: I build my own). I would categorize these as "nice to have" not a necessity, but they do noticeably improve A2A performance. The A2W work better, but the A2A is just too simple to pass up.

Shops gripe about this stuff, but it does make a difference and usually worth doing if you are going to pay for a custom anyways.

- First, is put in the absolute biggest thing you can fit. Don't size it to the turbo/flow/etc... Look at how much space you have, where it is going and put in the absolute largest thing you can. Trust me - just like fuel injectors, you will one day wish you had a larger intercooler.

- End tank design makes a noticeable difference in flow. On the inlets, if you are able to do a 3d shape with the tank, a rolled endtank (not a square) drives a better temperature drop. Not a great picture, but you can see the rolled design on the inlet tank (upper left). You can buy lots of good endtank options now-days, so I would push them to put something decent there, rather than just box and weld.

On a long end tank with side exit flow, a flow divider makes a noticeable difference on the A2A pressure drop (like cuts it in half). You should consider a flow divider on the outlet tank. Example of a flow divider below. They are pretty easy to make and make a sizeable difference when done right.

thanks for the heads up. Im not on a budget per say, but not trying to pay any more for this IC. Im already paying double the price of the comparable Treadstone ic that would likely be fine. The Bell core im using is only 1" taller at 10" tall. They had a 12" tall core I could use for only $50 more, but the extra 2" in hieght will be exponentially harder to fit. Im pretty limited already with just 93oct and 3" dp s into a full exhaust. We dont even have tracks here anymore. Defly improving what I can where I can when I can along the way. I already paid for this IC and made a deal with this guy. Otherwise, I would have searched out these suggestions as options. Thanks for the advice tho.

Quick Reply: Custom built A2A ICs