Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS, full throttle car falls on face.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS, full throttle car falls on face.

I have an 01 WS6 with STS t67. All has been well on car. driving today and every once and a while I stomp it to floor in second or third and the car does nothing. No spool, seems like a fuel cut. car my increase 300 rpm's then just acts like I turned off the key, until I get totally off the gas and back on.

ANy idea?
Old 06-09-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone need help pronto....
Old 06-09-2007, 03:47 PM
TECH Regular

I'd check for exhaust leak or compressor side of turbo leak in piping for the no spool issue. I'd also check fuel pressure, spark, injector millisecs., MAP, MAF, if you have access to a scanner. Is the SES light on?
Old 06-09-2007, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no light on. It is definately strange, no major leaks. And I mean it is just like turning the car off while accelerating.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:54 PM
TECH Regular

DO you have catalytic converters? Does is bog down all the time while driving or only when you go wide open throttle?
Old 06-09-2007, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

this has happened only 3 times when stomping to floor. 2nd and third gear. still have cats
Old 06-09-2007, 04:00 PM
TECH Regular

Hmmm this is a mystery. So it's only every once in a while when you go to the floor or all the time?
Old 06-09-2007, 04:12 PM
10 Second Club

does the engine die when you floor it, or does it just cut out and stumble, and when you mash the gas again, it comes back to life?

i'd say check the MAP sensor, and then everything electrical and make sure no connections are loose...

you need to describe it more as well....
Old 06-09-2007, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you drive through rain any time recently? I got stuck in a rain storm in Miami once and sucked water into the intake tube, and it got the MAF wet...it kind of did what you're saying. Luckily I had the FMIC at the time, and it trapped most of the water in there. But I would say check the MAF with the details we have right now.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a friend that has had the same problem and it was a loose fuel line in the tank. Have messed with the fuel system at all...
Old 06-09-2007, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

What is your fuel setup? Who tuned the car?
Old 06-09-2007, 06:44 PM
TECH Resident

you gotta be loosing some boost or something somewhere man, that just doesn't sound right. I put my kit together, took me 3 days off and on between food and breaks and BS'in ; BUT the first day i cranked it up it worked and boosted 5psi. check all of your lines, check your fuel, check your wideband out and see what AFR you are running, scan it or log it and see what spark your getting.

for it to just fall on its face....you gotta have something leaking or something else not working at all. i wish you luck in finding it and hope its something simple. thats a lot of somethings isn't it?! lol.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

Is your battery tight it could be falling back once u hit it. I had that issue but some bungee cords fix that. Aslo how is your filter do u have the scok on it if so take it off and check your filter I runined a filter like that dam thing suck it self togather. If its stumbling alot check your intake pipe could be a bad check valve lettin oil on your maf had that issue befor also. Other than that plugs or vac lines.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is always a fun one to solve.

I know you have a wideband, what does the a/f do when it does this?
If you roll into the throttle gently will it build boost?

My car will do the same thing if I pop a boot/pipe off, runs like a turd and acts like I hit a limiter. It will also do the same thing if you get water/oil on the maf. If your oil pump fails you'll fill up all your piping with oil and it will make it's way to the maf. You'll also have a big oil leak out the exhaust.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:31 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zombie
This is always a fun one to solve.

I know you have a wideband, what does the a/f do when it does this?
If you roll into the throttle gently will it build boost?

My car will do the same thing if I pop a boot/pipe off, runs like a turd and acts like I hit a limiter. It will also do the same thing if you get water/oil on the maf. If your oil pump fails you'll fill up all your piping with oil and it will make it's way to the maf. You'll also have a big oil leak out the exhaust.
Also, if the car is tuned too rich (ie getting TOO much gas, it will do the same thing.) Had that prob on my initial tune. A/F ratio via a wideband will answer that Q for you. Mine was so rich I could also smell the gas on decel.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:11 AM
TECH Resident

Sounds like the tune to me...
Old 06-11-2007, 08:56 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pdanrichey
Sounds like the tune to me...

It's fine until one day comes along and then it's the tune? They don't usually go bad
Old 06-11-2007, 09:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It seems to only happen if Im like staging and holding a certain rpm getting ready to floor it. Once I floor it, it seems to maybe move for a sec then totally dies out. As soon as I let up and get back on it will do the same thing. Wont do it if I ease into the throttle. Got to remember this doesnt happen everytime. Only seems to happen in first and second gear so far. Foot to floor and can hold to floor as I start to decel. I am hitting 10.8 every now and then on the WB when opening to full throttle. Checked all exhaust and intake piping. Electrical wiring too. No problems except a little oil coming out the breather on my PCV switch. When this is not happening car runs perfect and hawls *****. Even right after it happens I can get off and ease back in and all is good. Also can smell gas, checked trap door and all connections are good.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

why not take it to a shop and see if they can hook it up to a data logger when it does that
Old 06-11-2007, 03:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Frost
It's fine until one day comes along and then it's the tune? They don't usually go bad
Sorry...thought it was the first time he took it out.

It could be those damn tuning Leprechauns that come out from nowhere and destroy your tune when you're not paying attention

Still, it sounds like a fueling issue to me, which is controlled by the tune. I had a similar issue at one point b/c we were trying to lean out the injectors at idle and decel. We leaned it out so much that when you floored it, it would cut the fuel thus not allowing me to go anywhere unless I eased into the throttle. Especially in 1st gear...you'd be hard pressed not to stall it everytime you came to stop and then tried to go again

I also vote for data logging and then post the results.

Quick Reply: STS, full throttle car falls on face.