Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

supercharger+turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 09:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supercharger+turbo?

i was thinking that some people have too much money and alot of knowledge. Ive seen some some pretty crazy **** on cars. recently i saw a third gen with 2 roots blowers on top of eachother. pretty kool but obviously done b4. has anyone ever supercharger and turbocharged. for example running a procharger with a frount mount and maybe a sts kit on the back? i know it seems like alot of boost but had a dream it could happen. Can anyone give some info on this. hypothetically speaking and money being no object could you supercharge and turbo a fuel injected motor like the ls1?
Old 06-18-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Junkie

I have not seen a twincharged LS1 yet personally, but I have seen a couple of these set-ups on other cars, particularly one blower with two turbos that are tuned and run well... This is obviously mostly for shock value, but it is cool and unique for those with alot of money on their hands.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a buddy that added a turbo to his lil brothers Saturn Ion Redline.
It blew boost right into the stock blower,and we tuned it to like 259rwhp.
Between the blower and turbo there was not much gain in boost compared to running the smaller pulley on the blower alone.
They have since replaced the blower /intercooler setup with an intake from a new turbo'd Ecotec, and are running a much bigger turbo, its crazy.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

Systems like that were fairly common on older semi diesel motors. But yeh, I've never exactly understood it myself. It would probably make the supercharger more efficient... but yeh... Maybe someone has a better idea on this.

Best of both worlds maybe? That big down low hit of the roots/screw type S/C and the top end scream of the turbo?
Old 06-19-2007, 01:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there was a thread on here about a oz company that put a magy and a vortec on the same car! worked really well for them.

could it work, yes! there have been SBC that ran a supercharger and twin turbos! it would be cool to run something like a magy and a BIG STS style setup.

thanks Chris.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:29 AM
On The Tree

one of the old boats i used to work on was a twin charged twin turboed V12 detroit diesel, i know its complety off subject but it was the coolest engine ive seen to date
Old 06-19-2007, 09:25 AM
TECH Junkie

^ I would love to see that.

EDIT: I found the link for the blown/twin turbo twincharged motor:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2180560

Last edited by bboyferal; 06-19-2007 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

here's a link to an Evo who tried it. He wanted to spool a big turbo (for a 4 cyl) at altitude. Worked fine till they pushed it over 700awhp.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthr...t=supercharged

The major obstacle seems to be disengaging the supercharger once the turbo is spooled and designing a seamless system that can do this.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Detroit's (and other 2 stroke diesels) use both, to force air into the cylinder because there is no intake stroke. The blower is used for low rpm and starting (when the turbos cant move any air) as rpm climb the turbo(s) take over. I think they use a 1 way clutch on the blower, so as the turbos build boost the air going through the blower just spins the rotors, and they freewheel
Old 06-20-2007, 01:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Krom
Detroit's (and other 2 stroke diesels) use both, to force air into the cylinder because there is no intake stroke. The blower is used for low rpm and starting (when the turbos cant move any air) as rpm climb the turbo(s) take over. I think they use a 1 way clutch on the blower, so as the turbos build boost the air going through the blower just spins the rotors, and they freewheel
thats a really neat idea! wonder why centi SC dont use that????

Chris.

Quick Reply: supercharger+turbo?