View Poll Results: What to do...
Stock stall and tune for it
25.00%
Install stall myself and have it tuned
50.00%
W2W install and have it tuned
25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Tough decision here, need some opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 09:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Tough decision here, need some opinions.

Heres the deal. I just got my TT Trans Am up running and its on the road. It makes 420/413 threw my auto on a mustang dyno at 5 psi and made 400 rwtq at 3800 rpms. As of right now, the car wont shift at WOT, the shift points need to be changed. I talked with W2W and he told me to come up and he'll hook up the laptop and hop in the car and we'll tune the shift points on the road, open my cutouts and see how that does and make sure the tune is safe for that. Now my situation is.... stock 4l60-e with a trans cooler and temp guage. I just received a PY3400 converter, Rich told me that if i want to toss the converter in, i should before i come down so i dont have to come twice to retune after the converter. So right now i am unsure what to do. The stall install is a big job, removing tranny, exhaust, all that fun stuff. W2W said they'd install it for me for $500, or i could do it myself on the floor in my garage. Some issues crossing my mind are... how will my trans like the new stall in there with the new found power and early torque? Will it be a waste of time because it will grenade the trans right after i put the stall in? Do i just wait and have it tuned for shift points on stock converter and enjoy the car some, even though i know the car will be a lot more fu nand much quicker with the stall in. I dont know. I put this in the FI section, because it deals with my TT build, they power and torque the car now makes with the twins, and i'm sure most of you guys have been in a situation like this as well. Soo what do i do... Take it as is and tune with stock stall, or install the converter myself on the garage floor (sick of this after doing entire TT install in the garage, and i've never removed a trranny before) and have the car tuned with the new converter and possibly risk losing the tranny quicker, or same as above but pay W2W to install the stall and then it will be right there for tuning as well.... help please, thanks!

-Jon

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 07-11-2007, 09:05 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cliff notes please.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:16 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

just received a PY3400 stall, want to put it in for fun, perf of car. DOnt want to install it, haha. W2W will do it for $500 which is a lot of dough. I need to get my shiftpoints changed because after the TT install, it wont shift at WOT, going down to W2W for in car tune for shift points, said if i want to do the stall, i should do it now so i only have to come twice. Worried about trans life if i do the stall as well.

Some more info, as soon as this tranny lets go, its straight to the 4l80-e swap....

Old 07-11-2007, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $500

$500 to pull a tranny in a f-body... I'm in the wrong business....oh wait I am in this business..normally we get about $200(or less) and it takes less than 2hours to do the change. even if some of the exhaust in the way, I can't see it going over $300. I would get a second estimate. I don't know if I would take a chance in getting trash in the new converter when the tranny breaks. Then you will have to send it off and have it freshen up. Why waste money.
just my $.02
Old 07-11-2007, 09:45 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

That was just a quick guess the tuner guy threw at me. I'm going to double check for sure. I just dont no, so many options here... pull tranny and toss stall i nand tune, leave it as is and tune, pul ltranny and have it built, install stall and tune.....

Old 07-11-2007, 10:13 PM
10 Second Club

i would wait to do anything with the tranny, as you are gonna be pulling it out again soon enough. ask me how i know...

well i'll tell you anyways.... when my stock trans went (after a week, on low boost), i put in the new converter as i was putting the new trans in. even though i was tuned for the stock shift points, the trans still shifts the same. i have only done a few WOT runs, as i now have an oil leak, but shifts were good on those runs.

i'd say wait until you get your built tranny to install the converter
Old 07-11-2007, 10:17 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I could pull it later and do an rpm 60-e and then toss the tranny in, but how much will the rpm 60-e hold, never know... ughhh, power and trannies makes for a headache

Old 07-12-2007, 07:21 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much power are you looking to ultimately make?
Old 07-12-2007, 07:48 AM
Banned

4L80E. Save yourself the hassel later.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:22 AM
9 Second Club

if he is gonna keep it under 700rwhp, a good 60e will work but after that, definitely go 80e and no more tranny worries
Old 07-12-2007, 08:24 AM
Banned

Why do twins with intentions of keeping the HP levels under 700rwhp ?

Get the 4L80E.

Boost make us do crazy things with our cars. No point in spending the $$$$ twice.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:35 AM
10 Second Club

You need another option to just do the tranny and stall now and save yourself the money. Your going to want that stall in there so while you have it apart just upgrade the tranny too. Otherwise I would leave the tranny alone and then do it all at once when your ready but your car is going to be weak without a stall. I would imagine it would suck being FI and getting beat by cammed & stalled cars. If you feel like being risky you could just throw in the stall, my trannys still stock with an ss4000 but that was in there from before the FI. If I touch it again I'm just going straight for the th400.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:42 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yea, i figured its dumb to pull the tranny and put the stall in. I'm going to run it as is for a little while and either when i get bored or the tranny breaks, 4l80-e. I've had the car down enough, im just going to enjoy it for a bit and beat the **** out of this stock 4l60-e at the track so when it breaks i can upgrade to the 80-e. Thanks for the insight!

Old 07-12-2007, 02:35 PM
10 Second Club

well dont beat on the 60-e too much or you'll be looking for a new tranny sooner than later.

remember i put a cooler on my stock tranny/ stock stall and the trans still went in a week, with few WOT runs on low boost (5psi via boost controller)
Old 07-12-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Addict

I voted for tuning as is, either do it all now or later. That's the route I would go, why rip into it twice even though its not the biggest job. We all love are cars and putting new mods on but tearing into the same thing twice with the choice is not my cup of tea. Just go easy on the ole girl for now, I know it would be tough, but save up and do it right once! I also have a stall in my car when purchased, a Vig 3200, either I am going to get a trans built before I add the power or drive it till it pops. Dillemma for me, but why blow it up if I can get a few hundred bucks for a perfectly working/low mile tranny. Or keep for the option of going back to stock in future. Ok all except the last sentence!
Old 07-12-2007, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

As was said above, installing a TC should be no more than $300

I had my converter installed for about that much and I went to Cartek who is supposed to be expensive (they do great work by the way)
Old 07-12-2007, 06:17 PM
10 Second Club

**** i had a local friend throw mine in for 150 bucks, lol.

that trans is eventually gonna go and you didn't spend 900 bux for a converter to just lay in your garage. Get that thing in your car asap , bring it to w2w and get that sucka tuned.

it will make a big difference.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:55 PM
9 Second Club

No sense in tuning the car without the new converter. It will blow through what you have in there now. Put the new converter in and then get it retuned that way it will hold the power. But euther way in the end you will want more power and then you will need to upgrade your tranny. A stage 4 or 5 rpm tranny 4l60e will hold enough power to scare the **** out of you!! Ask me how I know!
Old 07-13-2007, 02:28 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you think $500 is alot then you'll **** when you see how much the 4L80E swap costs.

I'd leave it as is for now, so that when you trash your stock tranny you don't trash the new convertor with it. How does the car spool? If it spools fast now, what do you hope to gain with the bigger stall?
Old 07-13-2007, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

4L80E and TC all at the same time.

Quick Reply: Tough decision here, need some opinions.