Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Black dust inside procharger outlet & intercooler tubes... WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 09:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black dust inside procharger outlet & intercooler tubes... WTF?

So yea...

Began a new phase of my procharged setup... Yanked the blower off to find the outlet having a thin layer of black oily like dust inside the procharger and intercooler tubes... This black substance is all around the inside of the intercooler tubes and leads up to the intercooler... However, the intercooler tubes AFTER the i/c are fine -- no black ****...

Ahh... houston do we have a problem?

Not to mention the blades on the procharger looks like it got in a knife fight in Detroit... No air filter on procharger... Your damn right one's goin on after this...

Send this back to procharger for a check up? Or...??? what y'all reccomend...

Jayson
Old 08-11-2007, 10:19 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its normal to get a little oil in there, even a little dust which will turn black, when the blower gets hot the seals will seep a tiny bit and it coats everything.

But dinging up the impeller isnt good, depending how bad it is it can really hurt the airflow and it can also start cracks.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

Ya I can't say for the supercharger but on my turbo car it was the same thing, inside all the pipes/intercooler etc. I just expected it to be normal, especially with alot of miles on it.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by kp
Its normal to get a little oil in there, even a little dust which will turn black, when the blower gets hot the seals will seep a tiny bit and it coats everything.

But dinging up the impeller isnt good, depending how bad it is it can really hurt the airflow and it can also start cracks.
Yea... slapped the 3.4" pulley on and only made 14psi (thats a mere 1.5psi more than the 3.7") wow!...

Im gonna send it back to procharger/ have it looked at/ and new blades put on... I figured im losin some boost...

Jay
Old 08-11-2007, 11:23 PM
TECH Addict

Are you sure you are not getting belt slip?
Old 08-11-2007, 11:37 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same black dust on my intercooler. No big deal for me.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Websy21
Are you sure you are not getting belt slip?
No... I ran 16-17psi with this same setup last year but with converter issues... ZERO belt slip w/ sdce...

I should see a min of 15psi (with my camshaft specs) at 6700rpms... If i knew how to post pics my blades look like my procharger was in a knife fight in Detroit... lol
Old 08-12-2007, 12:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
I have the same black dust on my intercooler. No big deal for me.
whew... thank god... i bout had a heart attack when i saw all that black dust...

ANYONE FLUSH THEIR INTERCOOLER OUT WITH H2O???? - OF COURSE TAKING THE FMIC OUT OF THE CAR?
Old 08-12-2007, 07:34 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was worse when I had the Procahrger plenum.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
It was worse when I had the Procahrger plenum.
talk about worse... i purchased another 3.4" 8rib pulley when i had one tucked away in the basement... ahhh

J
Old 08-13-2007, 05:55 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Blownramair
So yea...

Began a new phase of my procharged setup... Yanked the blower off to find the outlet having a thin layer of black oily like dust inside the procharger and intercooler tubes... This black substance is all around the inside of the intercooler tubes and leads up to the intercooler... However, the intercooler tubes AFTER the i/c are fine -- no black ****...

Ahh... houston do we have a problem?

Not to mention the blades on the procharger looks like it got in a knife fight in Detroit... No air filter on procharger... Your damn right one's goin on after this...

Send this back to procharger for a check up? Or...??? what y'all reccomend...

Jayson
You're lucky you didn't have any more problems than this without using an air filter. Bob
Old 08-14-2007, 12:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
You're lucky you didn't have any more problems than this without using an air filter. Bob
Yea your telling me... to pick up a half a tenth is not worth it... the impeller/ blades replaced set me back $700 from procharger and that if they find NOTHING ELSE wrong... hell -- i could have purchase a new d1 from y'all (epp) for a lil more than double that... according to the guy i talked to from procharger he said i could be losing multiple pounds of boost with things i was describing... I'm curious to see what/ in any more damaged has occured... yea im gonna put that air filter cover back on -- even though i've broken it 3 damn times...

Jay
Old 08-14-2007, 12:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

bob,

what gets me is i see all these fast cars at the track (7-8 second) machines running prochargers and they dont run any air filters and their impeller blades are right infront of the bumper... can anyone inlighten me to why my impeller blades be jacked up? or is this a common thing with turbo/ blowers?
Old 08-14-2007, 07:41 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Because those guys usually keep everythng covered when moving the car around, dont go behind other cars doing burnouts and usually dont pit in the crappy gravel parts of the pits. Plus most have a spare turbo or blower along in case seomething does happen and if you look close many of them have a nicked blade or two. Its just like guys with carbed cars an huge sealed hodd scoops, I've picked rocks out of air pans before.

But the procharger is in a bad place for things to get in there with no filter/screen on these. I never dinged up a blade but plenty of little stuff has made it into the intercooler, most tracks I go to are all gravel or crushed stone and you are just driving a giant vacuum cleaner over it. Hit a dip and the plastic air dam throws stuff everywhere, one rock at the right angle and you have what you have. You might be able to go 10 years without a screen/filter and never nick a blade and you may go 10 minutes and do it..

I would at least put a screen over the inlet, dont go too fine or it will be restrictive, something with 1/8" openings and make sure its rigid enough not to get sucked in, I cut apart one of my wife's high dollar strainers when I found the perfect size But switching between that and the filter nets me zero gain so I just leave the filter on.

Last edited by kp; 08-14-2007 at 07:47 AM.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by kp
Because those guys usually keep everythng covered when moving the car around, dont go behind other cars doing burnouts and usually dont pit in the crappy gravel parts of the pits. Plus most have a spare turbo or blower along in case seomething does happen and if you look close many of them have a nicked blade or two. Its just like guys with carbed cars an huge sealed hodd scoops, I've picked rocks out of air pans before.

But the procharger is in a bad place for things to get in there with no filter/screen on these. I never dinged up a blade but plenty of little stuff has made it into the intercooler, most tracks I go to are all gravel or crushed stone and you are just driving a giant vacuum cleaner over it. Hit a dip and the plastic air dam throws stuff everywhere, one rock at the right angle and you have what you have. You might be able to go 10 years without a screen/filter and never nick a blade and you may go 10 minutes and do it..

I would at least put a screen over the inlet, dont go too fine or it will be restrictive, something with 1/8" openings and make sure its rigid enough not to get sucked in, I cut apart one of my wife's high dollar strainers when I found the perfect size But switching between that and the filter nets me zero gain so I just leave the filter on.
thanks kp...

i really think somethings jacked up w/ the blower tho... i've ran this thing for approx 4 years and beat the crap out of it... the impeller looks like crap and the black dust is like tar (as i took more intercooler tubes off)...

so... i took this more into depth and after i just changed the procharger oil in april -- it was only half full (like 2.25) oz in the blower yesterday before i sent it to procharger... im pulling the fmic out this weekend and going to flush it with water... i can only imagine how much **** is in the intercooler by looking at the blower and tubes...

Jay
Old 08-14-2007, 09:14 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Water probably wont do much, I never had an IC flushed out, maybe a radiator shop can do it but usually none of that oil/dust makes it into the intercooler tubes. I would just wipe it out with some brake clean and blow it out with air and call it a day.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:53 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Keep in mind the engine rings will last longer with an air filter. Jay, what has broken on your filer assembly? Bob
Old 08-15-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Keep in mind the engine rings will last longer with an air filter. Jay, what has broken on your filer assembly? Bob
The filter hat on a stock ls1 procharged unit is what keeps breaking... it has broke 3 times for me on the hub which slides over the procharger... i could be an idiot installing a filter -- but breaking three times and i believe its like a 50 dollar or so hat ? -- i had enough w/ it...

I would send pictures -- but i cant get a file over 100kb to upload on here...

Jay
Old 08-15-2007, 03:43 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Got to be doing something wrong there, my hat is probably 5 years old now and has even fell off the car and been ran over a couple times at the track. I made a little aluminum support bracket so you dont have to tighten the crap out of it and it supports the bigass filter I have. If you looked under my car at Bristol where the filter was you should have seen one little thing that is good for 1-2mph in the quarter
Old 08-15-2007, 05:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by kp
Got to be doing something wrong there, my hat is probably 5 years old now and has even fell off the car and been ran over a couple times at the track. I made a little aluminum support bracket so you dont have to tighten the crap out of it and it supports the bigass filter I have. If you looked under my car at Bristol where the filter was you should have seen one little thing that is good for 1-2mph in the quarter
i have STML (short term memory loss) lol... i cant remember what your secret was... for the most part - our stuff is nerely identical minus heads and weight... im still tryin to figure out how the hell your machine FLIES! I'm literally baffled... But i got some help from ls1tech and some guys from Hardcore... hoping to knock off a tenth or two...

i remember some crazy duct work underneath your car... along with your filter on the procharger... dats about it...

Quick Reply: Black dust inside procharger outlet & intercooler tubes... WTF?