Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

APS TT Setup in F-Body, All input is welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 03:30 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default APS TT Setup in F-Body, All input is welcome!

Hey everybody, like the title says I need some input for my TT build. I'm ordering the APS TT kit and UMI K-member in the next couple of days and I need to know what else I should buy to support the turbos. I have 21K and am buying an LS1 T/A as soon as I get home from this deployment so if I buy this kit now and a car when I get back I'll have about $5,000 to work with. Assume this is going to be a bone stock T/A with maybe exhaust. I plan on running 7psi of boost and want to know if I should buy a fuel system now and have it waiting on me when I get back? Should I get a boost friendly cam for it? Intake? Heads? I just want to have everything I need to start this install as SOON as I get home. I want to do it right and not setup up the turbos wothout the supporting mods. Everybody please chime in with an opinion because I really need it!!!!
Old 08-31-2007, 08:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will definitely need fuel system upgrades (pump(s), injectors, fuel rails (if you are going high enough with the power goals)). I am staying around 500rwhp so only went with a single racetronix pump. If I were to go higher a dual pump system would probably be needed along with fuel rails. You will want to figure out which guages you want to run (I still have to get mine but at least have the guage pod.....). You will NEED valvesprings especially if you get another cam. I am staying on a stock cam and went with LS6 springs. If I went aftermarket cam something like Patriot Golds have been recommended. If the T/A still has a stock rearend you will want to plan on an upgrade for that as it will probably not last with the turbo's. And other suspension mods like LCA's, torque arm, etc to help put the power down. Trans may also be a concern with the power levels (need a strong clutch if you get a M6 and may need some upgrades if it's an auto). It will all add up quick! That 5k is gonna be gone before you know it. Good luck.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also...to my knowledge there has not been any confirmation yet that a UMI K member will work with the kit....it was designed around the BMR K so you might want to double check that. other than that, Hugger hit the nail on the head with everything else.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:45 AM
11 Second Club

scratch that...EPP just installed the APS kit with a UMI K member and they had to do some minor work to make it fit but it does work.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:44 AM
Launching!

The clutch is definitely mandatory. I'm looking for around 500-550hp so does anybody have suggestions on a clutch? TNTramair do you know how much work EPP had to do and what kind to make that k-member fit? Maybe I should go with the BMR? Can you guys recommend any boost friendly cams? I'll probably have about $8-9,000 instead of $5,000 because I get my per diem and tax returns when I get back, too. Do you guys think this install can be done within a 4 day weekend? There's a shop on post with all of the tools and a lift so I'm not worried about that.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do you guys think this install can be done within a 4 day weekend?
Clutch, cam, springs, turbo, and kmember swap in under 4 days? I doubt it.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:27 AM
TECH Junkie

If you did these installs for a living, then 4 days doesn't sound unreasonable. Keep in mind, as the DIY'er, any thing custom will cost twice as much and take twice as long to complete.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:18 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The UMI is a very tight fit. If the BMR gives you better clearances than what we have, I'd go with the BMR. BMR has upgraded their K members over the years, the newer ones work out very well. Bob
Old 09-01-2007, 06:33 AM
Launching!

I meant just installing the turbos in 4 days I think I'll go with the BMR k-member. How tough is the k-member swap? Any estimates on how long it would take? Also, any cam suggestions?
Old 09-05-2007, 10:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

APS is testing a forged 346 with gt7 lingenfelter turbo cam.I got same cam to use in my car sooner or later. For heads bigger chamber can knock your stock compression down and let you run maybe up to 10 psi rather than 7.5 the aps gates are set to for stock motors. Alc system is good idea also. and you have to get the car tuned dont' forget so you will need something like laptop and hptuners ,ls1 edit,etc you can't drive it with stock tune. It would be way lean and too much timing also.
You can put off rear end till later .It shouldn't break on street type tires or even nittos if you don't get really low 60fts. Wheel hop and hooking up kills the stock rear end. Some lower control arms should help the hop problems.
I would just get the bmr k member think they are producing them again ,mine is not hear yet supposedly soon think it was shipped. The 003 part number is one you want.not 001.
I think am going with afr heads but some big chamber patriots might do for budget. APS is going with the big afr heads on their test engine now ,205 might be better though for the smaller cubic inch. Again have to see their numbers. They used the smaller chamber heads but they are dropping compression with their new forged pistons. Can do it either place or both even. Heads and different pistons.

For clutch I went overkill to textraliia twin. I have the standard discs which are a bit grabby when they get hot in heavy traffic. Tex sent me some street discs to try in the twin and will likely install them when install new engine next spring. The single tex sounds fine too if you keep the power around 700ft pounds and under. A spec 3 plus might work fine too. Buddy just did a spec 3 for his na car and it seems not too bad for driveability but pedal pressure is pretty high. My twin pedal pressure is firm but not that high and single text are supposed to be light.

Fuel you need at least a new fuel pump like racetronix and mabye a boost a pump box.
I am going with APS twin pump likely with their add on kit. of course you need bigger injectors. 60 pounders are a good choice and might need bigger later if you go crazy with different engine and way higher boost.

To run pump with decent timing and afr an alc injection kit would be a good idea as well. And don't forget some gauges. Minimum you need boost/vac or a boost controller thing like eboost 2 or something similar. You should get a wideband also.
And an egt gauge and in car fuel pressure would also be good to have.Maybe oil pressure as well.

It all adds up and the money goes fast for sure. But no one said it was cheap to build a supercar!

You will like the APS kit. The instructions are thorough and the kit looks to be very high quality with a few minor bitches. The plastic blow offs from saab turbo look cheap being plastic but are easy to upgrade if desired. And they should have supplied the better t bolt clamps for anything that sees boost go thru it. Worm gear clamps have no place in a kit like this. All the other parts of the kit look awesome though,the big intercooler, downpipes and all that look great. It might be nice to see an optional stainless ypipe offered not sure how much playing with have to do with what brands to get it to fit to factory intermediate pipe.
Also would like to see as said option blow off options but you can buy direct fit bosch in metal or turbosmart ones also in metal. I would like to see tial blow off options personally.

And on the wishlist at some point might be bigger turbos although pretty confident the supplied ones will be more than enough for me powerwise. And smaller turbos do spool up faster and give a broader powerband. That is a good thing on a street car and the kit is a street kit with intact factory air and accessories even no big hacking on the front end for the intercooler.

Anyway good luck on your project and don't hesitate to buy the APS kit. I don't have mine installed ,might be spring as think want new engine but at least can go out to garage and look at my pretty hardware.

Quick Reply: APS TT Setup in F-Body, All input is welcome!