Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

what size wastegates for...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 04:03 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what size wastegates for...?

I got 2 brand new Tial 44mm wastegates with my TA I bought. I plan on doing some sort of forced induction, but not sure what exactly, I know I don't want a car I won't drive for fear of breaking it somehow or from fear of how fast it is. I was thinking something in the 500-600 RWHP range. Ill prolly end up building the turbo or TT kit myself, but if I go twins, wouldn't 44mm wastegates be a little overkill for the turbos I would buy for making between 5-600 RWHP?
Old 10-12-2007, 05:32 AM
TECH Resident

Cool

Originally Posted by DOOMZDAY
I got 2 brand new Tial 44mm wastegates with my TA I bought. I plan on doing some sort of forced induction, but not sure what exactly, I know I don't want a car I won't drive for fear of breaking it somehow or from fear of how fast it is. I was thinking something in the 500-600 RWHP range. Ill prolly end up building the turbo or TT kit myself, but if I go twins, wouldn't 44mm wastegates be a little overkill for the turbos I would buy for making between 5-600 RWHP?
u got them with the car so might as well use them-

it is overkill but how may --- i only want 5-600 rwhp projects turn in 1000+ monsters=heaps

so just incase u go crazy in the future u dont have to open up the pocket again-

or 2 things

use 1 as it will be more than enough and keep the other one in the cupboard-

or sell 1 and use the cash towards some hot parts or something-

like a good person told me once-rather be over kill then under-done-

hope that helps
Old 10-12-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

For a tt build they will be a little over kill but thats not a problem. For a single turbo, one of the 44mm would be good and you could sell the other
Old 10-12-2007, 01:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what i have heard and understand, the bigger/more wastgate(s) the lower power, boost you can run. For an example you might have a 1100rwhp weekend track car, but then on the week you want a grocery getter so you might only want 400rwhp in that same car. Thats why bigger/more wastgate(s) can help out. I do not know the disadvantages theo.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Resident

Cool

Originally Posted by Gordon0652
From what i have heard and understand, the bigger/more wastgate(s) the lower power, boost you can run. For an example you might have a 1100rwhp weekend track car, but then on the week you want a grocery getter so you might only want 400rwhp in that same car. Thats why bigger/more wastgate(s) can help out. I do not know the disadvantages theo.
i would be interested to know who said this or what technical page u read this from-.

not saything your wrong-its the first time i have heard this-
Old 10-12-2007, 07:17 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by njc.corp
i would be interested to know who said this or what technical page u read this from-.

He is actually right on, say you have a monster turbo setup that is capable of pushing 30psi and you want to only run at 5 psi, you are going to need to bleed off 25psi through the wastegates, Therefore you are going to need 2 massive wastegates or whatever in order to bypass that much exhaust flow. If you do not have large enough wastegate capability, you might only be able to go down to 10 or 15 psi even if you only want 5psi.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by njc.corp

A tech. rep. at Turbosmart explained it to me.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:24 PM
Banned

Default wastegates

I got the wategates, but no other turbo parts, just some parts the guy had bought for the car, but never bought the engine or forced induction other than wastegates. I don't plan on owning a car I won't feel safe driving on the street so I think Ill just sell one of the wastegates, Ill look up what it retails for. So a 44mm wastegate will support a single turbo that produces between 5-600 RWHP?
Old 10-23-2007, 06:42 PM
Teching In

Not trying to ***** your thread, but I've got a similar question. I'm getting ready to turbo a 5.3 with a t70. I'm worried that the turbo might be a tad on the small side and choke out the top en of the motor. my question is if I use a larger wastegate(or two), could it possibly bleed off enough exhaust gas to let me hit the upper RPMs?