Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Help me make up my mind...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 08:05 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me make up my mind...

I recently ran out of patience with an STS kit. I think the Turbo needs to be rebuilt (anyone want an intercooled STS kit cheap?)

I'm trying to decide what to get next. Supercharger (F1A) or Turbo.
I'm in no way an expert in FI, but with some very good advice from a local board I am torn.
I've been frustrated by turbo companies not answering questions specific to my set-up or getting the run around, but they all want my money.
So what do you think would compliment my set-up?

Engine:
Advanced Racing Dynamics 408ci Iron Block
Callies Dragonslayer Crank
Compstar Rods
Dished Diamond Coated Pistons 9:1
Heads:
AFR 225's
4.0 bore
68cc chambers
2.08/1.60 valves Hollow stem valve upgrade.
8019 valve spring upgrade.
Intake:
Victor Junior
90mm Nick Williams TB.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which turbo do you have?The base sts turbo is not enough for that motor and would give poor results.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

how much power do you want to make?
Old 11-14-2007, 09:00 AM
Banned

i would go blower.much easier
Old 11-14-2007, 09:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SUPERBOOST
Which turbo do you have?The base sts turbo is not enough for that motor and would give poor results.
I had the T-76 It made 600+ on 10 psi, ran high 10's
Originally Posted by smokinHawk
how much power do you want to make?
I'd like to make 800+, but I don't care about dyno numbers so much as 1/4 times.
Originally Posted by platinum1
i would go blower.much easier
That's the going opinion right now.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:59 AM
11 Second Club

is keeping ac important??

the F1 will give you more than enough power...but ya need to worry about the belts slipping/pully alignment issues that come with superchargers.

most turbo kits out there require you to move stuff around and lose something ie. A/C...ABS...etc.etc. if none of this matters to you than your in good shape. if it does, look into the APS kit...i have it and your more than welcome to come check it out when your in town (Philly).

turbo kits...ya wanna check with companies like APS...Stenod...Speedinc...they have great customer service and will go out of their way to answer any questions you have.
Superchargers...theres really only 1....EPP...talk to Bob.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TNTramair
is keeping ac important??

the F1 will give you more than enough power...but ya need to worry about the belts slipping/pully alignment issues that come with superchargers.

most turbo kits out there require you to move stuff around and lose something ie. A/C...ABS...etc.etc. if none of this matters to you than your in good shape. if it does, look into the APS kit...i have it and your more than welcome to come check it out when your in town (Philly).

turbo kits...ya wanna check with companies like APS...Stenod...Speedinc...they have great customer service and will go out of their way to answer any questions you have.
Superchargers...theres really only 1....EPP...talk to Bob.
The AC took a **** when the car was stock. I never used it anyway. So not a problem.
ABS is off because I needed better wheel studs and I hated the ABS block in the engine bay. So not a problem.
I won't be in Philly till... April at least. But I'm sure I can take a run up to Sunoco one night, or OCB in York.

I contacted "Pete" at APS and they only offer one turbo set-up for engines up to 400 CI. Couldn't really give me any tech support for my set-up.... so
I am currently talking to TTi.

I wrote to EPP this morning. Waiting to hear back. Seems like the cheaper option too. But have always been weary of SC'r belts etc.
My gf's Novi 2000 runs nice on her stang, so my mind's been changed a lil.

This is why I made a thread. I seriously don't know what to do.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:10 AM
Launching!

Go turbo and never look back.....
Old 11-14-2007, 11:46 AM
TECH Regular

You should look at kentucky turbo and ohio f.i. kits also .Since you are race oriented and don't need air ,one of Josh's truck manifold kits would probably work great for you.Good setup,good guy to work with and makes a lot of power,very competitive price as well.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Twin76mmTA
Go turbo and never look back.....
Well they'll def make my money go fast, hopefully the car at the same time.

As of right now I am leaning on the Turbo side of things. But if the F1a is the right price and all my questions are answered things might change.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

to really run what that motor wants, you would need to do some hacking to fit a large frame turbo on the car on a custom system

any t4 single or small twins will be giving you a **** ton of tq and get into a pressure ratio efficiency situation at high rpms.

can a single t4 or probably even small twins put the car into the 9's? i would definitely think so.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:06 PM
11 Second Club

i have a t4 flanged PT88 on my car, that turbo is good for at LEAST mid to low 9's.

i love my turbo set up, never owned a blower though. Turbos just seem like more fun...
Old 11-14-2007, 02:05 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It all depends. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. My vote is go with a F1A blower from Bob at Exotic Performance Plus. The supercharger route is much easier to install and basically trouble free. Yes turbos are more efficient than superchargers but look at what I have run with my F1A blower with a 6-speed at 3800 lbs. I could but an auto in it and run low 9s but I love having a stick so running alittle slower is fine with me.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:47 PM
Launching!

John you have a PM
Dave you have a PM

U guys aren't making this easy LOL. I guess it's a good dilema to be in.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by coop5885
i have a t4 flanged PT88 on my car, that turbo is good for at LEAST mid to low 9's.

i love my turbo set up, never owned a blower though. Turbos just seem like more fun...
yes i know a t4 turbo can go low 9's

but one on a 400 inch motor.. the turbo is in a much different place on the map than my 364 or yout 370

every 12 revolutions you are stuffing another one of our engine's worth of air through that turbo... and at 6500rpm that happens 9 times a second.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:07 PM
Banned

F1r :d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d
Old 11-14-2007, 05:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

With that engine setup I would go with the T6 turbo kit. I offer one that will keep all acc. The s-series turbos work great with the setup also. At the end it comes up to how much money you want to spend and whay HP you would like to get to. Give me a pm if you have any questions.

Thanks Joel
Old 11-14-2007, 06:18 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by PhillyLS1
I wrote to EPP this morning. Waiting to hear back. Seems like the cheaper option too. But have always been weary of SC'r belts etc.
My gf's Novi 2000 runs nice on her stang, so my mind's been changed a lil.
Thanks, I'll check on my mail in the morning. The F1A is an easy way to go, and with your engine combination you would have the potential to get your car into the high 8's in the 1/4. We don't have belt problems, and we have been using the stock ATI brackets. Belt alignment is not an issue, part of the key is using a larger less restrictive air filter. The smaller supplied ProCharger filter just can't flow enough air when you're dealing with over 600 rwhp, and places a load on the blower which can cause belt slippage.
Take a look at my car here. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=12 The engine combination is pretty straight forward.
All in all we have more problems with turbo related oiling problems than we do with blower belts on superchargers. Bob
Old 11-14-2007, 07:18 PM
Launching!

either of them will make the power your are after, easily.....turbos may make alittle more power but I love the whine of a blower and wouldn't have any problems running one...
Old 11-14-2007, 10:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
yes i know a t4 turbo can go low 9's

but one on a 400 inch motor.. the turbo is in a much different place on the map than my 364 or yout 370

every 12 revolutions you are stuffing another one of our engine's worth of air through that turbo... and at 6500rpm that happens 9 times a second.

see that what i get for reading it as a general statement, not application specific. i just cant imagine you know anything about turbos, not like you have ever owned or raced one

Quick Reply: Help me make up my mind...