Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS guys, get in hurrr.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 02:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS guys, get in hurrr.

Couple questions for you guys running STS kits.

1) Do you get a puff of smoke as you shift under boost?

2) For the guys with the high flow pumps, is it unsafe/bad to direct wire the harness and bypass the switch? I would assume this keeps the pump running at the high speed setting...AMIRITE?

3) Transiently now, the alarm will go off briefly either under boost, or strangely enough, at idle.

4) For the guys with larger compressors, when are you spooling? I'm close to 4k...and the power curve looks more like a Supra than a 364ci V8...ie ~150rwhp@2500 rpm.

Thanks!
-Ronnie
Old 11-16-2007, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1) I have seen puffs of smoke before as soon as the car hits boost , saw it on the dyno. I forget what the explanation was, but I was told it was normal.

2)I blew the resistor that kicks the pump up under boost, and I wired it directly through. I called STS when it happened, and they told me that I could wire it straight through, and it would run on high. The only concern would be that it could shorten the pump life since it is running on high constantly.

3)That sounds like the oil flow is being impeded somehow. I had that under boost before I got the new pump, but I haven't heard it since.

4)I'm on a T76. With the 370, it spools to 7 psi around 3600 rpm. I just checked one of my latest scans, and I was actually surprised it was that low...it's been a while since I've really looked at that stuff.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by geeteego
Couple questions for you guys running STS kits.

1) Do you get a puff of smoke as you shift under boost?
as long as the puff of smoke is black...you are ok. just means its rich.

if its any other color (white/blue)
Old 11-16-2007, 04:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NYSS Guy
1) I have seen puffs of smoke before as soon as the car hits boost , saw it on the dyno. I forget what the explanation was, but I was told it was normal.

2)I blew the resistor that kicks the pump up under boost, and I wired it directly through. I called STS when it happened, and they told me that I could wire it straight through, and it would run on high. The only concern would be that it could shorten the pump life since it is running on high constantly.

3)That sounds like the oil flow is being impeded somehow. I had that under boost before I got the new pump, but I haven't heard it since.

4)I'm on a T76. With the 370, it spools to 7 psi around 3600 rpm. I just checked one of my latest scans, and I was actually surprised it was that low...it's been a while since I've really looked at that stuff.

Hope that helps.
It does...thanks! I'm going to DEI wrap the entire manifold-back this weekend. Looks like I'm ordering a new pump.

Originally Posted by MECHAM
as long as the puff of smoke is black...you are ok. just means its rich.

if its any other color (white/blue)
It's blue/white. I am told this is normal, due to oil running through the turbo.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1. i agree a little bit of smoke due to being rich is normal should not be james bond smoke screen

2.running the pump on high will def shorten the life of the pump

3.the oil pump has an adjustment on the top of the pump under a rubber cover you turn clockwise to raise the amount of press before the buzzer goes off. this happend to me after i went from 5psi to 9psi.

4.my power band looks good climbs steady up until about 6000 then start to drop.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't think seeing any blue/white smoke is a good thing. I have never seen white/blue smoke at all. THe smoke I have seen is kind of just a quick puff of black when the car hits boost. And, now that I thin of it, that was before I went speed density on the tune....so that makes sense that the car was going rich when I did see it.

smoke20, I forgot all about that adjustment for the oil alarm, good call!
Old 11-16-2007, 10:05 PM
TECH Regular

If he was hearing the oil pressure buzzer intermittenly go off it's possible for oil to spill into the compressor side and travel to the engine get burned and exit out the exhaust. It's a long shot and lot of oil would have to leak so I highly doubt this is the case!

Could also leak to the exhaust side an burn that way at the turbo. I had my pump loose a connection and this scenario happened as result.

geeteego: you'll be suprised of the decreased spool time from pre and post DEI wrap!
Old 11-17-2007, 08:07 AM
11 Second Club

I really think that it is a component of the turbo spitting oil...I'm thinking the compressor might need a rebuild. After the LS1 let go, all kinds of coolant, etc...was left sitting in both the oil pump and the turbo, as they were not diassembled when the motor was removed.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:42 PM
Launching!

My STS puffed at first, then started billowing smoke. Now it's a paperweight. Called STS for tech support, they sent me an e-mail.
I wish I would have just saved my money.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by PhillyLS1
My STS puffed at first, then started billowing smoke. Now it's a paperweight. Called STS for tech support, they sent me an e-mail.
I wish I would have just saved my money.
Bummer. I won't be relying on tech support either, as I bought the kit used.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the very few times i have needed tech support STS was very helpfull. i have had the kit on the car for 2 years and very few problems. sorry to hear a couple of you have had bad experience with rick and his people at STS.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:06 AM
Staging Lane

i have also heard that some sts people have had to put a nitrous jet as a restrictor in one of the oil lines to keep from to much oil going into the turbo and smoking

Quick Reply: STS guys, get in hurrr.