Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Self Installing the STS kit BUT..... The tuning shop is 120 miles away!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 01:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Self Installing the STS kit BUT..... The tuning shop is 120 miles away!!!!

My friends and I are planning on installing an sts kit on my car. We mostly do our own work on our ls1 cars. This past summer we did a motor/tranny swap in my garage that has proven successful so looking at this kit, it shouldnt be any more difficult. Anyways. I have a full kit with 42lb injectors and a racetronix fuel pump kit. We plan on installing it in my garage but i heard that once the kit is installed, that it needs to be tuned RIGHT AWAY! Which worries me becuase the closest tuning shop is about 120 miles away from me. So we have this plan:

We plan on installing the fuel pump kit, but leaving the stock injectors on. Once we get to the shop we will have the 42lb injectors installed. We're going to install the full sts kit EXCEPT for..... The last pipe that connects to the throttle body. That way, there is no boost towards the motor. It will just shoot air into the engine bay. Instead, we will leave the lid/bellow setup, that way we wont have to make any adjustments to the PCM, becuase it will respond as though it had no turbo to begin with. Once at the shop, install the last pipe/silicon connection to the throttle body and it should be ready for the dyno tune.

WILL THIS WORK!??!
Old 12-16-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see a problem with it.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:58 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

I did that exact same thing last year. I had an hour drive to W2W for my tune..... I left off my last charge pipe and installed the stock lid for the drive down on stock injectors. I left my 60# injectors in the glove box for them to install on the dyno, and half a mile from W2W, i pulled into a parking lot and took off the LID and hooked my charge pipe up. Worked just fine, hope this helps! Its a logical choice considering you won't wash out your cylinders with the huge injectors and no tune, and have no chance of boosting the untuned engine

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 12-16-2007, 04:26 PM
8 Second Club

This is a good plan but one word of caution. If you are venting the charge pipe to atmosphere you will not have a wastegate signal. So if you decide to get on it on the way to the shop there will be no exhaust vented before the turbo and this could potentially cause the turbo to spin way beyond the max recommended rpm.

So if you choose to do this keep the old foot outta it as best you can and you shouldnt have any issues.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:51 PM
Banned

How well does the STS kit work with longtubes?
Old 12-16-2007, 05:09 PM
10 Second Club

dont even risk it..... get it towed, or trailer it over there. 120 miles is too far for something to go wrong.

i was in the same situation as you, my tuner was a 3 hour drive away and i was debating this... you could potentially ruin your turbo and check valve, and get oil all over your exhaust and charge pipes. been there, done that! i personally wouldnt risk it.....
Old 12-16-2007, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i drove my car 45 miles on interstate to my tuner after STS install.. good idea keeping stock injectors on motor then swap at the tuner same thing i did..

i did not leave the last charge pipe off , i had it all hooked up, i kept an eye on the wideband and boost guage.. i never got on it and kept it in vaccum the whole way.. at hwy speeds the eng stays in vaccum unless you jump on it acclerating onto the freeway was the only time i really had to be patient.

Last edited by smoke20; 12-16-2007 at 08:36 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-16-2007, 09:05 PM
12 Second Club

has anybody else tried this? I dont like the thought of my sts kit becoming damaged from what Black X mentioned!!! but then a member said he tried what im thinking of doing, and he was fine!!! so i dunno!! and towing it 120 miles? my insurance wont cover there. Called tow shops... want $6.00/mile......
Old 12-16-2007, 09:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yea, i dont understand really what Black X is saying... wouldnt the wastegate simply max out at it's spring setting? I could be wrong but this is what i figure would happen...... Or you could just not get on it. You really could drive it with the charge pipe attached and be fine IMO, you won't see any boost unless you hammer it.... The safest thing to do would be a tow but even then with f-bodies being so low, your car itself could get damaged. If your doing mainly interstate cruising, you should be just fine. Another good thing to do would be to call the tuner and get his recommendation

Old 12-16-2007, 09:19 PM
12 Second Club

Does anyone have an already existing HP tuners file that could be sent to me that could help, well, just until i get to the shop for my personal tune.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:22 PM
12 Second Club

Also, i have a 3500 stall and it is all mostly highway miles to get there, but i have to go up hills as well. And with a stall and goign up hills, the RPM's will sometimes get up there.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:26 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

from my experience with twins even, u still have to nail it to see boost. I think being an auto will be easier for you. I did exactly what you are thinking of doing and was just fine. If the WG issue posted by BlackX is in fact a true possibility, you could just use self control and not rip on the car, or you could connect the entire system and just granny drive it.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:30 AM
Teching In

As long as you stay in vacuum you will be fine. I say just granny it there. Better than spending alot of money on towing.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:56 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Superman09
Yea, i dont understand really what Black X is saying... wouldnt the wastegate simply max out at it's spring setting? I could be wrong but this is what i figure would happen...... Or you could just not get on it. You really could drive it with the charge pipe attached and be fine IMO, you won't see any boost unless you hammer it.... The safest thing to do would be a tow but even then with f-bodies being so low, your car itself could get damaged. If your doing mainly interstate cruising, you should be just fine. Another good thing to do would be to call the tuner and get his recommendation
The wastegate would never reach its maximum setting because the signal from the intake tract would always be 0psi if the pipe was vented to atmosphere. If you have a 7psi spring you need a signal of 7psi to the bottem of the diaphram to offset the spring pressure and allow the gate to open, Venting the charge would not offset the spring pressure.

As you mentioned the easy fix for that would be self control.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:54 AM
Launching!

dont drive around with everything all half hooked up.. i completly installed my sts setup... i even installed the 42 # injectors before driving down.. it just takes a few min for the car to learn to idle smooth with them.. then stay outa boost when driving down to the tuner.. if you dont boost.. then no more air than normal is geting in your car.. and if you have your MAF still hooked up... even if you do boost alittle, the computer will see the extra air and add fuel so you dont lean out. ( my tuner was 30 miles away i had no problem)
Old 12-17-2007, 08:04 AM
Staging Lane

Too many people have ruined their turbos by overspinning them from not having their cold side pipes hooked up. Listen to Black X unless you want to replace your turbo. What are you going to do if you have to mash the gas to avoid an accident? Slowly roll on to the throttle? Don't be a danger to everyone on the road, do the right thing and get it towed or pay a tuner to come to you. Do you have a wideband?
Old 12-17-2007, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I believe everyone is making this much more difficult than is necessary... just stay out of boost and install your injectors when you get to the shop.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:44 PM
On The Tree

Or you could spend like 60 for AAA and then have them tow your car. Then you will have it for a year too. Hell they will even make sure a flatbed truck comes out to pick up the car , if you recommend it. In my mind this is a little piece of mind when your spending this much on your car. Hell and with gas prices the way they are 120miles worth of gas might be around 1/3 the price for the year long membership.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jon5212
I believe everyone is making this much more difficult than is necessary... just stay out of boost and install your injectors when you get to the shop.
Exactly.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

One part of me says if you drive normal, take it easy, and dont screw around you'll be fine driving it there...I'd probably do it myself. I don't see any major problem and I doubt anything will happen on the way there.

On the other hand, you just forked out thousands of dollars on this setup and it would be a shame to have it all go to **** over a few hundred bucks. You'll have plenty of opportunities to get the few bucks back that you spend to have it towed somehow and it will be money well spent in the long run.

So, the penny pincher in me says just drive it and be careful...the wiser part of me says play it safe and tow it..then enjoy the hell out of it on the way back.

Quick Reply: Self Installing the STS kit BUT..... The tuning shop is 120 miles away!!!!