Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

A few manifold/header choices for STS....

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A few manifold/header choices for STS....

I did a search and came to the conclusion that the stock manifolds are generally accepted as the best set-up for an STS. Then I saw someone remark about the possibility that a set of shorties may be even better. I may be swapping some parts for an STS kit and was curious to see what you all think of my exhaust choices. If this happens and I make the trade, my options to get the spent gasses out and to the turbo are MAC mids (on the car now, will wrap for turbo), the original factory manifolds, or Edelbrock Victor 1 3/4" stepped to 1 7/8" headers ( brand new sitting in my garage). I've read that the stepped headers work real well on N2O (my original plan) and FI applications, but this is not a traditional belt driven or front mount FI application. Any opinions would be appreciated.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the stock manifold works great, just wrap exhaust pipe from manifold to the turbo. if anything you could port the manifolds but they retain so much more heat and thats what you need for turbo spool. i went from jet hot headers to stock manifolds and i havent lost any power , but i do see spool time much earlier.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm only making 850+ hp on stock manifolds, they suck.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol yea 850 is BS gotta switch to headers cuz bigger is better right lol people dont get it, stock manifolds and be done there's alot of stock **** that takes a BEATING and holds big power(850hp being one of the many examples), but some people just want to do it the "hard" way and get headers. Go ahead be slow dont wonder why the turbos still not spooling later lol
Old 01-18-2008, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's what I thought I'd hear, manifolds it is! Thanks guys.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what happens if you already have long tube headers and you want to do the STS turbo?? can you still do it or what?
Old 01-18-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NXPRSS
what happens if you already have long tube headers and you want to do the STS turbo?? can you still do it or what?
you can, just not a good choice. i have already ordered ported and coated stock manifolds and after-market ypipe to reaplace my all motor set up (flowtec LT and their ORY). plus, it's all wrapped
Old 01-18-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Were did you get ported and coated stockers I need to kick my LTs.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:27 PM
Launching!

say I like to hear that I can keep my stock manifold because it does'nt create alot of extra heat in my engine bay, It's neat and does'nt cook my ignition wire's , also I don't need to keep retorquing all the bolts so I can avoid blowing a exhaust manifold gasket, You'd think the the manufacture's would ceramic coat all headers to lower intake air temp and protect my fluid and electrical systems ,Question Why do I need a X or Y pipe in the exhaust system, Looking at them and the slit where they are welded together looks like a point of restriction and turbulance, Would'nt I just be better off running two single exhaust pipes straight out the back ? I don't understand .... I have an Z06 LS6 ......Thanks

Quick Reply: A few manifold/header choices for STS....