Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

misty vapors coming out of pcv breather

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 04:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default misty vapors coming out of pcv breather

hey everyone, i started another thread in the General Maintenance section about some "misty" vapors that are coming out of my breather on my catchcan, and i was hoping i would have some better luck in here....

i was tinkering the other day, and i replaced my STS electrical pcv switch with a one-way mechanical check valve, and now i have a "misty" vapor coming out of my breather. it occurs at idle, and AFAIK, while driving too.

Now my PCV setup is this: i have one line from each rear valvecover port going into a catch can, and then the catch can is vented to the atmosphere via a breather on top.

i then have another line from the front passenger valvecover port going into a one way valve, which is connected to the intake manifold.

so my question is this:

Are the misty vapors bad and should i be worried? or is this normal, and should i ignore it? thanks for the help guys, and i'll answer any questions if you have any!
Old 01-26-2008, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the one-way is backwards. Idle vacuum should be pulling air from the engine into the intake, and the breathers should have air going into the engine, not the other way around.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

agreed. u got the 1 way backwards. the arrow should be pointing towards the intake manifold.

as a test...remove the check valve and run a hose. that should clear the vapors
Old 01-26-2008, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

either that or a toasted ring land.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MECHAM
agreed. u got the 1 way backwards. the arrow should be pointing towards the intake manifold.

the check valve is pointing toward the intake manifold, so i dont think anything is getting blown back in the engine and out the breather....also the vapors start ocurring at warm idle, not when cold. and it isnt smoke because it evaporates into the air, its white and "misty"

the car also ran noticeably better after disconnecting the STS switch and running the mechanical one... any other thoughts? thanks for the replies guys!!
Old 01-27-2008, 06:41 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

It sounds like you might have a blown head gasket. Bob
Old 01-27-2008, 06:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you should not have a breather between your pcv and catch can.
the point of the pcv is to create negative crank case pressure,
with a breather in between you are not keeping the crank case sealed.
the pcv is probably sucking more air from the the breather than the crank case.
therefor you are going to get more blow by and it will eventually come out the breather.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by shoemike
you should not have a breather between your pcv and catch can.
the point of the pcv is to create negative crank case pressure,
with a breather in between you are not keeping the crank case sealed.
the pcv is probably sucking more air from the the breather than the crank case.
therefor you are going to get more blow by and it will eventually come out the breather.

so are you saying i need to get rid of the breather and hook it up to a vacuum source? i mean, i can run a line to the turbo if i need to, but that leads me to another question:

how can the breather be sucking in air, if there are misty vapors coming out of it?
Old 01-28-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I read that you have a breather to let air in, that's tied to 2 points.
And a totally separate line for the pcv.
If that's the case, you don't have a breather between the pcv and catch can.

If the valve is turned the right way (and the pcv valve too), there should be suction through the crankcase, drawing air in through the breather.

Check that you are getting vacuum all the way to where you have the pcv line stuck on the front tube on the valvecover. (pull the hose off and put your thumb over the end)

If that is definitely set up right, then you've got some serious blowby and/or headgasket problems that are putting enough air into the crankcase that the vacuum can't draw it all out at idle.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:08 PM
10 Second Club

well an update!

I checked everything over again, and everything was fine. I had the check valve the right way, i am getting suction thru all the hoses..... The problem ended up being the mechanical one way valve itself. It seems like the valve wasnt big enough to suck enough gasses out of the crankcase, which caused them to build up and escape thru the catch can and breather. Anyways, i removed the one way valve, and put a hose in its place, and the misty vapors stopped.

When i went to empty my catch can out, a light, watery, yellowish liquid came out. Is this from the vapors i had before?

Also, i need a new and bigger check valve to be able to flow enough air, yet be strong enough to resist boost, so does anyone have any ideas on what i can use? Thanks for all the help guys!!

edit: and does this mean my head gaskets are ok as well? lol....
Old 02-03-2008, 01:14 PM
10 Second Club

ttt, any ideas?
Old 02-03-2008, 01:27 PM
9 Second Club

The yellowish content is just moisture. Thats is caused by the engine being turned on and off and not fully heat cycled. Nothing to worry about. You need to top off you coolant and run the car. Let the car completely cool and see if you lost any coolant. Other than that from what I have read on your thread its all normal. Now if you take the oil cap off and it is puffing out more than likely you have piston / ring damage.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:41 PM
10 Second Club

thanks for the reply, i'll check these things out. Any idea of where to get pcv check valves from? I currently have a brass one from mcmaster carr, but it is too small.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:45 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28
thanks for the reply, i'll check these things out. Any idea of where to get pcv check valves from? I currently have a brass one from mcmaster carr, but it is too small.
I dont see how it is too small. Ive ran a 900 RWHP setup thru it with no problems.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
I dont see how it is too small. Ive ran a 900 RWHP setup thru it with no problems.

well either it is too small, or broken.... When i removed it and put just straight hose in its place for a test, the mist stopped coming out of my breather. Which one do you have? 7775k52 is the part number for mine. from here:
http://www.mcmaster.com/
Old 02-03-2008, 01:54 PM
9 Second Club

Same one killa. Hell if I can find my APS check valve Ill sell it to you. I dont have a PCV system.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:59 PM
10 Second Club

well ****, lol... i think i have bad luck with check valves. I kept going thru them with my turbo oiling system, and now the pcv system. i'm just gonna have to keep tinkering and see what i can do. Thanks a lot for the help! saw your vid yesterday with the BOV's, and it sounds SICK!!

edit: check valve is definately broken. I tired blowing thru it with no luck, and also tried poking the piston with a bbq stick and it wouldnt move. damn check valves.....

Last edited by RooRnZ28; 02-03-2008 at 02:12 PM.

Quick Reply: misty vapors coming out of pcv breather