Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

APSs warranty police GOOD or BAD ???????

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APSs warranty police GOOD or BAD ???????

Hey guys,I just wanted your oppions on APSs twin turbo kit!I just bought a BRAND NEW<NEVER OPENED F BODY kit that another member on here sold me the other day MIND YOU,This is a BRAND SPANNKIN .NEW KIT, NEVER INSTALLED!!And I was informed ,Even after I said I could produce the original receit from the seller and would take pitcures of said kit at time of being delivered &opened FOR PROOF that this is BRAND NEW,I was told buy an APS person NO NAMES HERE!!That I could and would not receive a warrenty of any kind on this BRAND NEW still in the original box F BODY twin turbo kit,I was just wanting your oppions here guys on the subject,I could understand if it was opened or even installed THEN taken off !But BRAND NEW and NEVER installed !!I think APS could switch the name on there system for such cases as this And dont get me wrong here guys Im not crying,Im happy as **** that I own one!I just wanted your opinons on this THANKS ED BARNAT PS Im also paying to have this kit proffesionally installed TOO!!Im just thinking of the other APs guy who's turbo came apart on him ,Thats why im concerned!If it wasnt for that !I wouldent even be posting this!
Old 02-04-2008, 05:32 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

I wasnt even aware there was a warranty in the first place? Just good respectable customer service, and if you have a problem, they will work with you on the issue to back their product.

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 02-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Spacing and paragraphs are your friend.

I would hope that you didn't pay full price for a used kit. NIB or not if you didn't buy it from APS it's used.

I think you need to look at it from APS's side. Could you imagine the paper work if they had to keep track of who sold one of their kits to who. It would just be a PITA on their end to try and keep track of where all the kits end up beyond the original owner.

I work in the automotive aftermarket. I can't answer for APS but I bet they would look at each case individually. You can't just say that the warranty will carry over or everyone and their bother will want something.

Hope that makes some sense,

Jason
Old 02-04-2008, 05:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

The "non transferable warranty" policy is very common, and on high-performance parts even getting a warranty in the first place is pretty rare. If it were me, I personally wouldn't worry too much -- APS has shown to produce pretty nice stuff, and they've shown to be pretty helpful and reasonable.

I bought an APS-TT kit myself (I just need to finish our other turbo car project before I can install it)
Old 02-04-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Brand New, never touched, in the box. AND that can be verified, it would be pretty cheezy if APS didn't take the 30 seconds to change the name on their paperwork and give you the warranty.

But if there's any way a shop or manufacturer can get out of paying for a warranty, they will.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:51 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The issue at hand is the retail standard. Warranties are non-transferable for NUMEROUS reasons. Buy the kit from APS if you want a warranty. Pretty simple really.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JMitch19
Spacing and paragraphs are your friend.

I would hope that you didn't pay full price for a used kit. NIB or not if you didn't buy it from APS it's used.

I think you need to look at it from APS's side. Could you imagine the paper work if they had to keep track of who sold one of their kits to who. It would just be a PITA on their end to try and keep track of where all the kits end up beyond the original owner.

I work in the automotive aftermarket. I can't answer for APS but I bet they would look at each case individually. You can't just say that the warranty will carry over or everyone and their bother will want something.

Hope that makes some sense,

Jason
Yea your right,Its just scarry paying this much for a kit and maybe have a turbo come apart and have to foot another grand on top of the kits price!!I Think I'm more worried about the turbo warrenty then anything!!
Old 02-04-2008, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brains
The "non transferable warranty" policy is very common, and on high-performance parts even getting a warranty in the first place is pretty rare. If it were me, I personally wouldn't worry too much -- APS has shown to produce pretty nice stuff, and they've shown to be pretty helpful and reasonable.

I bought an APS-TT kit myself (I just need to finish our other turbo car project before I can install it)
Yea I agree APS is a really good company. I just think I thought to much into it,and thinking about that other guys turbo that came apart Which APS did fix for him! But would they for me ??? Even though Im not the origanal purchaser But it is still a brand new unopened kit!!
Old 02-04-2008, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ninetres
The issue at hand is the retail standard. Warranties are non-transferable for NUMEROUS reasons. Buy the kit from APS if you want a warranty. Pretty simple really.
Not bitchen here guys LOL!!Just wondered what you guys thought ?Im happy as **** to own an APS KIT
Old 02-04-2008, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Superman09
I wasnt even aware there was a warranty in the first place? Just good respectable customer service, and if you have a problem, they will work with you on the issue to back their product.
I wasnt either untill I saw a thread where a guy was asking about a spohn K member and peter from APS said go ahead , you void the warrenty!!
Old 02-04-2008, 08:24 PM
TECH Resident

I wouldn't warranty it.

Most body shops give you a warranty as long as you own the car. Most dealerships on used cars give you a set warranty. APS had a warranty on their kits had a SET warranty, why should they change it for you? Then they would have to make exceptions for other people, and on their warranty itself.

The kit price was a great deal new, Im sure you got an even better one buying it second hand. Why would they want to take the risk? They arent in the states, they didn't sell the kit to you directly, they are doing what any respectable company would.

APS seems to be a well funded hard working company but lets face it...They are not Wal-Mart.

Why can't people be thankful that there is a turbo company out there actually following through with everything they say? They arent screwing people over, they make a product that works, their quality is spectacular. Everyone is REALLY quick to point the finger when past companies have screwed up and f'ed people over. APS is doing nothing of the sort. Just retaining good business practices.

IMO

-W
Old 02-04-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by needadvice
Brand New, never touched, in the box. AND that can be verified, it would be pretty cheezy if APS didn't take the 30 seconds to change the name on their paperwork and give you the warranty.

But if there's any way a shop or manufacturer can get out of paying for a warranty, they will.
LOL!!I agree. Was just trying to get your guys opinions on this,I'm gonna take pictures anyway, just to prove kit was BRAND NEW ,UNOPENED when I receive and dont get me wronge here guys' I talked to at least 3 or 4 diffrent guys from APS on this subject and PETER from APS was about the coolest of them all! He said if I needed anything or if somthing was missing to let him know,and he'd take care of me!Which is how it should be!. He's definatly a guy that stands behind his product and gives that assurance that there product is the best out there and not to worry
Old 02-04-2008, 08:48 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well Why I agree with APS's stand. I will mention the fact that if you purchased said kit from a dealer and had the dealer install the kit would APS then warraty the kit I think so. Just some food for though as I agree with the above statement that I would just deal with it one case at a time etc...
Old 02-04-2008, 08:57 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Even if your turbo came apart and you had bought it new from APS, they wouldn't warranty it anyways. Did you not read their comment in that thread? That was a one time thing- won't ever happen again anyways. Don't sweat it dude, you have nothing to even worry about at this point. Your peace of mind is knowing that it is brand new. Forget the warranty and install it and have fun. I can't believe people are bitching about a perfectly good kit when there is nothing even wrong with it!
Old 02-04-2008, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
Even if your turbo came apart and you had bought it new from APS, they wouldn't warranty it anyways. Did you not read their comment in that thread? That was a one time thing- won't ever happen again anyways. Don't sweat it dude, you have nothing to even worry about at this point. Your peace of mind is knowing that it is brand new. Forget the warranty and install it and have fun. I can't believe people are bitching about a perfectly good kit when there is nothing even wrong with it!

I'm sure they planned for it to happen once and only once I still think the turbo's are too small for anything over a stock cube LS1, and even then its close. The only time i would expect a warranty to transfer is like with koni's, there lifetime replacement. Other then that i would be amazed if performance parts came with a warranty, and would only expect it if its bought direct. So i am with APS on this one
Old 02-04-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Warranty are rarely tranferable on this kind of stuff and usually pretty short if there is any warranty. Think its 90 days? and I didn't install mine for way over that due to winter getting in the way.

Now the good news. Really there isn't much to be defective in a turbo kit.
Piping unless it don't fit right due to welding screw up is pretty reliable.
Those 20g mits turbos are among the most reliable turbos ever built. Many many people have run them for 100s of thousands of miles with very few problems.They are rebuildable also,unlike the garette Ball bearing types which pretty sure are not rebuildable or super expensive to rebuild.
Intercooler is pretty reliable. Tial gates are also rebuildable and parts are easy and cheap to get. Very reliable product.And the blow offfs are stock new bosch saab turbo ones.Quality on my kit is top notch.That washer bottle and coolant overflow is a work of art. They could have used t bolt clamps and we might need to get reinforced air intakes to handle high boost levels..oh well..such is life. The kit was very well priced at the introductory special.I have no complaints especially if you compare it to sts..no intercooler,ati procharger or some other companies stuff.

So really I would quit worrying so much. We have seen one turbo failure ,not exactly sure what happened there. Pretty much a fluke.
And like people said if you wanted warranty so bad you should have bought it from the company not second hand. New in box is still second hand .The company made no profit on this sale unlike the first one. Why should they cover it?

Old 02-04-2008, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cracker
I wouldn't warranty it.

Most body shops give you a warranty as long as you own the car. Most dealerships on used cars give you a set warranty. APS had a warranty on their kits had a SET warranty, why should they change it for you? Then they would have to make exceptions for other people, and on their warranty itself.

The kit price was a great deal new, Im sure you got an even better one buying it second hand. Why would they want to take the risk? They arent in the states, they didn't sell the kit to you directly, they are doing what any respectable company would.

APS seems to be a well funded hard working company but lets face it...They are not Wal-Mart.

Why can't people be thankful that there is a turbo company out there actually following through with everything they say? They arent screwing people over, they make a product that works, their quality is spectacular. Everyone is REALLY quick to point the finger when past companies have screwed up and f'ed people over. APS is doing nothing of the sort. Just retaining good business practices.

IMO

-W
So what your saying is ,If im in iraq! And my family all puts in for a APS kit for me for my home coming present,And its my sister who actually purchased on her credit card and I come home! This thing is sitting there in the UNOPENED BOX??? I shouldn't be able to take pictures and have a performance shop verifiy and install this new kit for me? I still should not get a warrenty??In a situation like this,What should someone do!OR what can they do!Or should my sister send it back to APS and then let APS reship back to me??The reason I brought this up is because a lot of guys have relized what it cost to go FI after receiving there kits and sell there brand new kits! Should they send back to APS and take a shipping & restocking hit or sell to someone else?AND LET APS KNOW WHO IS BUYING IT with all of the buyers info!!!!And thats still a kit that APS has ((marketed!!!!))to the community guy! It would be nice is all I'm saying in situations like this, Being a brand new product unopened and verifiable threw a performance shop.Being resold !!Shoulden't be a problem for APS to do!If ever an acception to the rule,this one I feel would be it!!Just my opinion !!And like I said peter from APS allready said to let him know if i was missing anything or if I had ANY problem to let him know!!Im talking about APS as a company doing this for there customers that may have to sell right after receiving because of personal reasons!!Like days after receiving guy!!Not weeks or months here!!! PS, And by doing this for customers within a week of receiving would only lesson the chances of somthing coming back under warrenty if being profesionally installed!! The customer on somthing this exspensive should have a week after receiving as a buffer exspecially if wanting to buy for somone as a gift or present!

Last edited by barnat; 02-04-2008 at 09:48 PM. Reason: ps added
Old 02-04-2008, 09:38 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by zlover129
I'm sure they planned for it to happen once and only once I still think the turbo's are too small for anything over a stock cube LS1, and even then its close. The only time i would expect a warranty to transfer is like with koni's, there lifetime replacement. Other then that i would be amazed if performance parts came with a warranty, and would only expect it if its bought direct. So i am with APS on this one
Koni's have a nontransferable warranty for sure.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
Wasnt bitchen dudeLOL!! Read it again!Where I say(( Im not bitchen,))and im HAPPY AS **** to own one!! LOL!!Just wanted your food for thought on the subject like if somone days after receiving or buying for somone as a present,Should they be able to let APS know!!Thats all!!
Old 02-04-2008, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Koni's have a nontransferable warranty for sure.
well that examply went right out the freaking window