Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS MAF Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 05:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default STS MAF Question

I'll be installing a used STS kit on my car sometime before the end of the winter and was curious as to weather or not I should keep the stock (screened) MAF or change back to the SLP 85mm (screened) I had on there for a while. That MAF didn't do anything for me N/A, but I was wondering if it would be of any benifit to throw it on for FI. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 02-16-2008, 09:59 AM
TECH Regular

Don't see why it wouldn't work well. It will allow slightly more air flow than OE. Next step would be SD tuned!

Let us know what you do about your SFC with the charge tubing routing. Also may want to think about ditching the cats. with the rear mount turbo!
Old 02-16-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I guess I'll cross the MAF/SD bridge when I come to it. I was thinking about going SD, but we've got strict inspection requirements in N.Y. That's why I can't ditch the cats either. We use the OBD II method, but it's the visual that gets you every time. The state is really cracking down on the shops that are "overlooking" certain things, so everyone's afraid to break the rules. Thanks for the input!
Old 02-16-2008, 02:01 PM
TECH Regular

No prob.

I just suggest the no cat. route to all rear mount guys b/c I've seen the damage of pieces of the cat. break off and find their way to the turbo! Good luck on the install
Old 02-16-2008, 02:02 PM
Staging Lane

just pull the cats out and gut them then put them back in to the car, and tune it
Old 02-16-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys! Maybe the gutted cat route is best. I have HP Tuners, so turning off the SES and forcing the status readiness tests is no problem. I still have the stockers that were on the car, but I'll just need a new Y-pipe after them. What's the best way to gut them? Should I run a piece of pipe through them or is leaving the inside open ok? Thanks again for you help and the good wishes!
Oh yeah, one more thing... will it really make too much difference between using a stock flattened Y-pipe and a Borla or SLP Y? Obviously this'll be with the manifolds with everything wrapped.

Last edited by fast01; 02-16-2008 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:10 PM
Staging Lane

just take the cats off the car and then use a hammer and a pipe or some kind of long piece of metal and just hammer the guts out of it then after everything is out put them back in the car

with a rear mount i think a smaller pipe would be better you will have better vilocity
and the heat wrap wil help out also
Old 02-16-2008, 07:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just be cautious if you already have the kit as to how the pipes will connect with a bigger MAF. The guy I bought mine from was running SD and I had to make the pipes myself to fit up to the MAF. It was a PITA, but I made it work.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Bassani o/r ypipe is pretty nice for the rear mount kits , I have used them on quite a few fbodies that we put sts kits on along with the stock exhaust manifolds . Not sure what part of NY , but I have a couple fbodies in the Rochester area that I've tuned in SD/OL that pass inspection , but maf tunes work real well to up to a certain level as well as long as it's done right .
Old 02-16-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm down on Long Island. It's hard to get anyone to pass the visual portion down here and different parts of the state actually have slightly different requirements. They all require cats, but it not as strict in some areas outside the metropolitan area. Will having gutted cats and the big open space that goes with it hurt much over the nice constant diameter of an ORY?
Old 04-13-2008, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

if your going to be useing the stock headers i wouldnt wast the money on a ory i would just gut the cats

Quick Reply: STS MAF Question