Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Interesting Decision I have here

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 09:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Interesting Decision I have here

i have a sts kit with a fmic.....the kit is about 80% complete....missing a couple wiring things, check valve and the oil buzzer diagram....but ne ways...there is a shop here in indiana that has an interest in my kit.....said he would trade me 2,000 in parts for the kit and fmic....

i was thinking about going with a wet shot......and i would have everything....bottle heater..purge kit....rpm pills and box...gauges....

what would you guys do.....i think the n20 set up would be cheeper/easier to tune and drive more than 2 days a week....ya know....

just kinda loosing interest in all the issues that come with the turbo set up

any openions and/or advice would be appreciated

THANKS GUYS
John
Old 02-27-2008, 11:18 AM
TECH Resident

cmon guys
Old 02-27-2008, 11:29 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not a fan of the remote mount turbo kits, I've heard of too many people having issues with them. Not to mention all the components in a vulnerable location under the car.

Personally I wouldn't get nitrous either, but if he had a set of heads and a cam, then I might consider trading.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:19 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think for you it would probably be a good choice. It seems that you have been having an issue getting all the little things worked out and like you said a simple H/C No2 setup is a good combo for a lot of people who want a mostly maintence free setup etc... GL!
Old 02-27-2008, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

inspector12.....it seems like you definatly have your **** together on the turbo stuff......the thing is.....you would have never gotten this good without installing a turbo for the first time......i guess i just need to keep bearing down on the project and not worry about the little ****.....

i do believe that the n2o set up would be more user friendly but
man sts cars sound soooooo bad

let me hear some more thoughts guys

THANKS
john
Old 02-27-2008, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls1leadfoot
inspector12.....it seems like you definatly have your **** together on the turbo stuff......the thing is.....you would have never gotten this good without installing a turbo for the first time......i guess i just need to keep bearing down on the project and not worry about the little ****.....

THANKS
john

Sounds like you have already made up your mind to me.........
Old 02-27-2008, 03:20 PM
TECH Resident

what would you do
Old 02-27-2008, 03:27 PM
Staging Lane

I would sell your rear mount kit and do a custom front mount kit!
Old 02-27-2008, 03:31 PM
TECH Resident

hah...

i dont think this turbo lingo is for me man.....to be honest with ya
just want to gain the drivability that i wouldnt have with the sts kit
Old 02-27-2008, 04:45 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1leadfoot

THANKS
john
John,
Ha Ha Ha! This was my first turbo setup I have done, well worked on others, and installed one on a 350Z, but I have been ridiculed with problems, but most of them weren't related to the turbo set up to speak of and it is just mechanical and that I can do with total 100% confidence so that is the only reason that I don't have as much trouble as some, but I have had other issues and right now my turbo car isn't running due to me bending most of the valves, but it won't be long as I se an end to our turnaround here at work that I have been doing for 18 months and then I will have both cars in full swing etc... The STS kit can be a drivable setup, but if you haven't been able to fix the problems yourself or find a shop in the area to help you out with it etc... Well then I just think for that person maybe a simple and basic setup will be better for them not a bad thing to want to and be able to drive your car every day etc... GL the decision is yours unless you want us to spend your money for you lol!
Old 02-27-2008, 05:00 PM
9 Second Club

I dont think i would ever do an sts kit... But the idea of *** mounted turbo's has its pro's. But if i ever did a rear mount turbo it would be 100% drag only car.

Some sts cars make decent power, but try to figure out all the little pieces you need. Injectors/plugs/tunning/fuel pump/couplers/tbolts/ gauges/ there is alot more, but anyways figure out everything you need to get the car running, and then add 1500 for misc stuff, and you will still probably need more. I tried to plan everything out on my car, how much each mod is, and have a budget. I am making a custom truck manifold kit, and i stopped counting when i went over 6k.

Plus to nitrous setup is when your not spraying driveability is stock. But if you stay out of boost a turbo isn't bad. You will have more problems with a turbo, but we wouldn't be modifying cars if we were worried about problems.

Good luck, Chris
Old 02-27-2008, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

well....

i will stew on this for a couple days and post again when the guy at the shop gets back wth me....

i told him i want 2300 for what i have so that should definatly get me the parts i need to COMPLETE and drive the car

then just get a more simple tune with the n2o vs the constant issues with a turbo......

is hard as it is to say this,,,,,,i might have gotten in over my head

thanks for the time on your replies guys.....

and by all means if you have anything to add just post it up, i will still check this thread daily
Old 02-27-2008, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only thing worse than a butt-turbo is Nitrous.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:10 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by engineermike
The only thing worse than a butt-turbo is Nitrous.
Butt turbo>nitrous>Electric turbo!

Chris
Old 02-27-2008, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

let me be the 1st butt turbo to BUTT in!

my set up has done me well, others may not have had the same success. i made 472/501 with FMIC on stock motor and 7.5psi. i added a cam to an already slipping stock clutch and made 503/512 on 6psi!!!!! i sence then have added a better clutch and better/upgraded tranny. i have also added ported and coated stock manifolds and had the exhaust wrapped from manifolds back. my car has picked up TREMENDOUS amounts of power IMO. i like the driveability. i would stick it out with the turbo, but that's just my opinion

GL!!!!
Old 02-27-2008, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

make sure that $2300 is in parts at cost to them, and get rid off it.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

get a procharger, in that power range a D1SC kit would give you trouble free operation and drive like stock with a nice MAF tune in it
Old 02-27-2008, 09:58 PM
TECH Regular

Seeing as you're losing interest in all the issues that come with the Turbo setup I'd say take the $2300 (if he accepts that price) and get yourself a nice Directport single stage Nitrous setup from Nitrous Outlet.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:15 AM
TECH Resident

did a lot of research last night....trying to get a answer to what kind of shot to run on the direct port set up and stock lq4 pistons....
they have been reconditioned at the machine shp i dont know if that makes a diff but advice on that would be appreciated for sure!!!
Old 02-28-2008, 05:09 PM
TECH Regular

The only advice I can give you is to try contacting one of the Nitrous sponsors and see what they say and/or checkout the Nitrous section. Oh yeah checkout this link below...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts-sale/860441-f-s-direct-port-nos-kit.html