Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Intake manifold options

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Intake manifold options

I am at the point were I need to decide which intake to run on my car. Here is the build and the goals. 408 iron block, Eagle shaft and rods, ported L92 heads, 10:1 cr with Ross pistons, camshaft has yet to be selected (waiting on flow numbers on the heads/intake combo), temperary 200hp to 300hp shot of nitrous until the 76gts(upgrading to a 88) front mount turbo. 2002 Trans Am WS6.

Goal is to make as much all motor power as possible before the turbo is completed, then adding as much boost as needed to make at least 800rwhp. I know the 76gts will not do the job in a front mount condition, and it will either be sold before the turbo kit is completed and replace with a 88 or it will be temperarly used at lower boost levels, until I can talk the wife into letting me get a bigger one, so please, lets not let this thread sway to a discusion of how my 76 will not work.

My question is who makes/were to get a better manifold then the plastic ones. I am at present looking at going the GMPP carb flanged intake with an elbow on top. I know of the Edolbroke manifold, but it is a little taller which will make me have to cut more of the cowling out to make room for the elbow. I am looking on spending about $350 for the intake and another $250 for the elbow which makes this intake combo $600. I have seen the wilson LSX fabricated intake on their web sight, but it is $3400. I am looking for something better then the carb/elbow combo, but not near as much money as the Wilson manifold.

Please give your thoughts on the manifolds as well as which size throttle body (cable type).

Thanks guys for your input.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:08 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An LS6 intake will get the job done for you just fine. Look at what we made on this C5 with a basic build. Stock itake, maf, cats, etc. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=40 Bob
Old 03-13-2008, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am presently running a LS6 intake. I am not going to put it on this new engine. I do not like the long runners in the plastic style intakes. I am looking for something with a short runner, and more even air distribution.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:20 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

We used the Victor Jr intake and an elbow from intake elbows on my Camaro.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=12 Bob
Old 03-13-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus

We used the Victor Jr intake and an elbow from intake elbows on my Camaro.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=12 Bob
This is the setup I am looking into doing. Do you have a link to intake elbows? What throtle body size can they except? I am going to call Wilsons manifold tomorow and talk to them about their throttle bodies. I am leaning to the 95mm one they have, but I am not sure if it will work on the LSX bolt paterns. How much of the cowling, if any, did you have to cut?

The other setup I had in mind was a custom fabricated manifold with short runners like the one Wilson makes. I just don't know who else makes them besides Wilsons.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is one manifold setup better then the other? Also does the vic jr with the elbow stick up higher than an ls6 manifold?
Old 09-22-2008, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

heres a pic of how much was cut for the victor jr to fit on my t/a plus clearance in the ws6 hood
Attached Thumbnails Intake manifold options-intake.jpg   Intake manifold options-hood.jpg  
Old 09-22-2008, 06:08 PM
TECH Junkie

he is using l92 heads the victor jr won't fit right? Isn't the only rectangular port carb style from GMPP?
Old 09-22-2008, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98transguy
heres a pic of how much was cut for the victor jr to fit on my t/a plus clearance in the ws6 hood
thanks for the pics, im just gunna stick with the ls6 manifold cause I want to keep eveything under the stock hood of the vehicle...

Quick Reply: Intake manifold options