Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Tuning tomorrow...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning tomorrow...

Been waiting for tomorrow for about 3 weeks now, and its almost here!!!

Car goes on the dyno for a tune.. I checked, doubled checked, and had some others take a look at the car to make sure i didn't miss anything. It's got the seal of approval, and its sitting on a trailer ready to leave tomorrow AM.

Set up is a procharger d1 @ 8#
EPP FMIC
EPP FI cam
ported 317 heads (patriot gold dual springs)
upgraded pushrods
LT headers
ORY
Borla w/ an electric cutout
Nasty stage 2 street fuel system (racetronix single pump)
Tex. oz700 clutch (x grip)

oh yeah, and the kicker... I'm on the stock bottom end (already saving for a new short block)

So please wish me luck, i'll let you know how it did tomorrow afternoon...

Thanks...
--Mike
Old 05-15-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

goodluck
Old 05-15-2008, 06:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

goodluck , and post some vid on the dyno
Old 05-15-2008, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by firehawk123
goodluck , and post some vid on the dyno
Ya know, running around trying to think of any other possible thing i might need, or should bring, i forgot about the camera... Thanks for the reminder!!!

Also would like to thank Bob and Jake from EPP, they were a HUGE help all through out the process... Thanks again guys!!!

Can't wait to see what it puts down!!!

Thanks...
--Mike
Old 05-16-2008, 04:52 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dcvingv6
Ya know, running around trying to think of any other possible thing i might need, or should bring, i forgot about the camera... Thanks for the reminder!!!

Also would like to thank Bob and Jake from EPP, they were a HUGE help all through out the process... Thanks again guys!!!

Can't wait to see what it puts down!!!

Thanks...
--Mike
Thanks Mike, let us know what it does. Bob
Old 05-16-2008, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

Well, we just got back, we had one problem, there was a 1 way valve in the manifold vacuum port, so it would pull vacuum, but not pass boost (gauge showed 0 boost) so the bypass valve was staying open.

Once we fixed that slight issue, and it was getting full boost, it was just rediculous, my stock bottom end is on its last legs!!!

On an ultra conservative tune (11.5 afr) it put down 596 / 507 @ 6500rpm on a dynojet!!!! I forgot to ask how much timing it was running.

Tuned by Mike @ New Era Performance in Rochester, it idles like a cadillac, and there is no cam surge or anything driveability is great!!!

But my bottom end is on its last legs, and i will be babying this thing around untill i can locate an LQ9 block.

Once again BIG THANKS goes out to Bob and crew @ EPP for all the help, and also Mike and Shawn from New Era on the tune.

Over all I'm pretty happy, and damn surprised it put down as much as it did, i was figuring 54x-55x going in

Thanks...
--Mike
Old 05-16-2008, 10:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Well, we just got back, we had one problem, there was a 1 way valve in the manifold vacuum port, so it would pull vacuum, but not pass boost (gauge showed 0 boost) so the bypass valve was staying open.

Once we fixed that slight issue, and it was getting full boost, it was just rediculous, my stock bottom end is on its last legs!!!

On an ultra conservative tune (11.5 afr) it put down 596 / 507 @ 6500rpm on a dynojet!!!! I forgot to ask how much timing it was running.

Tuned by Mike @ New Era Performance in Rochester, it idles like a cadillac, and there is no cam surge or anything driveability is great!!!

But my bottom end is on its last legs, and i will be babying this thing around untill i can locate an LQ9 block.

Once again BIG THANKS goes out to Bob and crew @ EPP for all the help, and also Mike and Shawn from New Era on the tune.

Over all I'm pretty happy, and damn surprised it put down as much as it did, i was figuring 54x-55x going in

Thanks...
--Mike
Those are great #'s for 8PSI 11.5 to 1 AFR isn't conservative for FI though. It's actually "right on".
Old 05-17-2008, 05:35 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Thanks...
--Mike
Awesome, Mike! I had a customer back into my Cobolt SS yesterday, which was bumming me out. You just made my day! Bob
Old 05-17-2008, 06:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sweet numbers expecially for 8#'s should be a blast to drive,just wait till u get a forged motor in there and turn the boost up to about 15#'s!!!!!

Bob,with all that procharger stuff in your shop u get a turbocharged cobalt ss ?Whats with that?LOL,sucks about the car though
Old 05-17-2008, 07:42 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Very good numbers man! I bet its a blast to drive!

Not the brand new copper SS Bob! Aww man That thing was real nice looking!

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 05-17-2008, 07:59 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Unhappy

Originally Posted by 98transguy
sweet numbers expecially for 8#'s should be a blast to drive,just wait till u get a forged motor in there and turn the boost up to about 15#'s!!!!!

Bob,with all that procharger stuff in your shop u get a turbocharged cobalt ss ?Whats with that?LOL,sucks about the car though
No, it's a supercharged SS.

It got nailed right in the drivers door by the rear corner of a CTS-V's bumper.

Originally Posted by Superman09
Not the brand new copper SS Bob! Aww man That thing was real nice looking!
I know, I had only had it for one week to the day. **** happens though, nobody got hurt, the car will get fixed. Bob
Old 05-17-2008, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Bob is it a 2007 model, on chevrolet site it says turbocharged for 2008
Old 05-17-2008, 09:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Awesome, Mike! I had a customer back into my Cobolt SS yesterday, which was bumming me out. You just made my day! Bob
Thanks bob, you guys have been great to deal with through out the build. I knew it would run strong, but even Mike was surprised at the numbers!!!

Man that sucks about your SS, not many excuses for backing into a parked car...

sweet numbers expecially for 8#'s should be a blast to drive,just wait till u get a forged motor in there and turn the boost up to bout 15#'s!!!!!
Thanks!!!! I got into it a little bit in 2nd gear, its just disgusting on the street , it's going to take me a little bit to figure this thing out!!! i cant even imagine like a 3rd / 4th gear pull!!

I don't even know if i need 15#!!! Tuner said there was quite a bit left in it as it was.

Ahhh hell, who am i trying to kid!!! bring on 15!!!!!

Thanks...
--Mike
Old 05-17-2008, 01:10 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 98transguy
Bob is it a 2007 model, on chevrolet site it says turbocharged for 2008
No, it is actually an '06. The sticker new was $25,600, but I got it for $11,000
There is no way I would buy one new, I was looking for a very clean used one with no door dings... when I found this one over in Ohio. I got 36 mpg on the way back to Indiana with it. Bob
Old 05-17-2008, 02:19 PM
12 Second Club

Congrats on the numbers, I bet it's a blast to drive. I got tuned by Mike too. Real cool guy and knows his ****, excellent tuner.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 95 Z28
Congrats on the numbers, I bet it's a blast to drive. I got tuned by Mike too. Real cool guy and knows his ****, excellent tuner.
Its just awesome on the street, idle is right about 8-900 rpms, hell, it even drove fine at 45mph in 5th gear!! Once you get over about 3000 3500, hold the f*ck on!! its great...

Mike is definitely an awesome guy, and is a great tuner. He wanted to do 1 more run with my cutout open, but i wouldn't let him!!! That was all i could handle for one day on the stock bottom end.

I would definitely recommend Mike to anyone in and around the central / western NY area.

I just hope the bottom holds together thru the big car show in the area (Syracuse Nationals middle of July) I would love for it to last till Winter, but we shall see

Thanks...
--Mike
Old 05-17-2008, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Congrats on the numbers .
Old 05-17-2008, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Thanks everyone, it was fun planning this build, doing a lot of late night research on here, and then actually getting everything installed, and running...

First time i had ever built a car like this, so it was a lot of fun!!!

Thanks...
--Mike

Quick Reply: Tuning tomorrow...