Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

piecing together a turbo setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 09:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default piecing together a turbo setup

ok so im putting an lq4 into an s10 and am going to do a remote mount turbo but am very unfamiliar with turbo setups aside from the reading ive been doing on here for the last few days or so.

anyways heres what the lq4 has
bore and hone .010 over w/ -4cc mahle pistons
stock rods w/ arp bolts
stock cam
ls2 crank
all balanced
ported throttle body
w/ a built t56 behind it

when i do the turbo setup ill go with some ported 317 heads as well

Its going to be a daily driver and will most likely never see the track

im looking for something w/ very minimal lag and a horsepower range of 450 up to 550 max to the wheels

would 3" tubing be a good size for the hot and cold tubing. if not what size would be recomended?

what turbo/ wastegate/ BOV would go well w/ this setup and my goals?

any input is apreciated

Thanks, Gary
Old 06-10-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Remote mount turbos are for people that can't build their own setup. I have one on my GTO, and when I bought it I did not have the knowledge necessary to build my own. If I were to do it over again, I would never go that route. Since you plan to build your own instead of buying a kit, build a front mount. There is a sticky at the top of this page showing kits built with truck manifolds. This should give you a great place to start researching.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:45 PM
11 Second Club

im going remote mount only to keep some room under the hood and keep it looking factory under the hood. anything against remote mount aside from slightly slower spooling?
Old 06-10-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Veteran

You need extra piping, which can mean more leaks to track down. The serious variations in efficiency between the turbo being hot and cold can also lead to a few relatively minor tuning issues. The oil return pump is an extra part that can fail. The turbo is in a more exposed location, if theft is an issue. Wideband reading will be skewed by backpressure unless you mount it behind the turbo. If emissions are a problem in your locale, the cats could overheat and send chunks through the expensive turbo. The higher backpressure ratio means valvesprings won't handle as much boost as a front mount. Properly referencing the wastegate to the intake manifold means several extra feet of line that could get damaged. With all of that being said, my rear mount works fine. It just isn't nearly as good as I could make it if I changed to a front mount.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:36 PM
11 Second Club

alright, well rear or front mount id still need to piece together some parts. if i can find the space it sounds like a front mount would be ideal, so if i can squeeze it in thats where its going but if not its going out back. I have always wanted to make my own headers any suggestions on parts?
Old 06-10-2008, 10:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by extremetoy
alright, well rear or front mount id still need to piece together some parts. if i can find the space it sounds like a front mount would be ideal, so if i can squeeze it in thats where its going but if not its going out back. I have always wanted to make my own headers any suggestions on parts?
There was another thread about making your own headers a few days ago. It may show up on a search. However, cast iron manifolds are MUCH more durable for the extreme heat and hanging weight of a turbo. I would definitely NOT feel comfortable with a turbo header being my first DIY project, as a lot of pro kits have cracking issues. Unless you are damn proud of your metallurgical knowledge and welding skills, I would not recommend that route.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:10 PM
11 Second Club

fairly certain i would be able to build a set of headers but lets stay on track... parts that fit my setup and goals

Last edited by extremetoy; 06-10-2008 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:21 PM
TECH Veteran

The other thread I referred to listed some suppliers and the prices, but I have no first hand knowledge on the parts it discussed.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[quote=gametech;9532922]Remote mount turbos are for people that can't build their own setup. quote]
Really ?
Attached Thumbnails piecing together a turbo setup-almost-8.jpg   piecing together a turbo setup-bandit3.jpg   piecing together a turbo setup-bandit.jpg  
Old 06-10-2008, 11:51 PM
TECH Veteran

[QUOTE=Jammer;9533724]
Originally Posted by gametech
Remote mount turbos are for people that can't build their own setup. quote]
Really ?
Did you actually read what I wrote? I have a rearmount that I am NOT unhappy with. However, front mounts will win everytime. I see no argument here. Anyone with enough skill to do a self-turbo can build a front mount cheaper and easier. They will also get better results.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:03 AM
11 Second Club

[QUOTE=gametech;9533818]
Originally Posted by Jammer

Anyone with enough skill to do a self-turbo can build a front mount cheaper and easier.
definetly would be much easier for me to make it a rear mount w/ the limited space i have up front. and would be cheaper for the rear mount as well, few more feet of exhaust tubing is cheaper than making headers ( reverse truck manifolds wouldnt work in my case due to space)

any recomendations on what turbo would best suit my setup/ goals

Last edited by extremetoy; 06-11-2008 at 12:11 AM.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:21 PM
11 Second Club

anybody, id rather not call a shop and waste their time when im not going to be buying anything for a couple months and ill most likely be looking for used parts anyways

so any help here is appreciated
Old 06-11-2008, 11:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[quote=gametech;9533818]
Originally Posted by Jammer

Did you actually read what I wrote? I have a rearmount that I am NOT unhappy with. However, front mounts will win everytime. I see no argument here. Anyone with enough skill to do a self-turbo can build a front mount cheaper and easier. They will also get better results.
I guess we"ll have to agree to disagree as I have done each a few times. Front is more a pain due to the need for closer specs... less room for error.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:00 AM
TECH Veteran

[QUOTE=Jammer;9540148]
Originally Posted by gametech

I guess we"ll have to agree to disagree as I have done each a few times. Front is more a pain due to the need for closer specs... less room for error.
I base my comments on the OP's claim to have pretty decent fabrication skills. I agree that some hackjob backyard mechanic might not be able to pull off a good front mount build, because you are right, it could be more difficult. I suppose when I wrote "easier" I may have been a little off base. However, I still don't think we actually have any argument here.

Quick Reply: piecing together a turbo setup