Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Interested in D1sc but......have a cam...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interested in D1sc but......have a cam...

Hey fellas, I am interested in putting a Procharger on my 99 Trans Am. Its a stock motor with a MS3 cam. I did consider going back to an LS6 cam for driveability but I was curious about leaving the MS3 in it. I am sure this is not the ideal cam since its so big and has so much overlap but would it be a huge mistake to leave it in as long as its tuned well? Currently its making 392 rwhp NA and 545 on spray....I just want that 545hp all the time. This feasible? I want to keep the motor stock and safe, only has 38k on it.

You thoughts?

BTW I am not a noob to FI, I have a 400rwhp turbo hayabusa, but want to stay supercharged on this one for simplicity and reliability. Its mainly a weekend cruiser but would like to hit the strip from time to time.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bolt a D1SC to it and you can do 550rwhp on the stock LS1 shortblock, leave the cam IMO centri blowers like a little overlap
Old 07-24-2008, 07:52 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try it out, not hard to swap cams though. Ive been curious on how a ms3/ms4 would work with a centri. Ive seen some odd cams make the same or better power, hows that for logic lol.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jake@EPP
Try it out, not hard to swap cams though. Ive been curious on how a ms3/ms4 would work with a centri. Ive seen some odd cams make the same or better power, hows that for logic lol.
Its funny you responded...I just sent Bob a PM for pricing on the complete kit with FMIC, fuel system etc.

MTI here in houston will do the install and tuning, I am just curious how this cam would work in a FI application. Its a little weak in the bottom end under 3500 but it LOVES the hose. I like how it sounds and the driveability is pretty decent with it so I would like to keep it if possible, but if its gonna bleed off too much boost or not make power, I will have them change it. Just gonna cost an arm and left nut to change it...LOL

I would like to RELIABLY make 550hp on a stock motor. I don't beat it hard all the time but when I want to, I want it to have some nuts. Traps 114mph right now....
Old 07-24-2008, 10:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by T/A KID
Bolt a D1SC to it and you can do 550rwhp on the stock LS1 shortblock, leave the cam IMO centri blowers like a little overlap
I agree. Go for it!
Old 07-25-2008, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Do it there are people that are making good #'s even with a cam like that.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:52 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Its funny you responded...I just sent Bob a PM for pricing on the complete kit with FMIC, fuel system etc.

MTI here in houston will do the install and tuning, I am just curious how this cam would work in a FI application. Its a little weak in the bottom end under 3500 but it LOVES the hose. I like how it sounds and the driveability is pretty decent with it so I would like to keep it if possible, but if its gonna bleed off too much boost or not make power, I will have them change it. Just gonna cost an arm and left nut to change it...LOL

I would like to RELIABLY make 550hp on a stock motor. I don't beat it hard all the time but when I want to, I want it to have some nuts. Traps 114mph right now....

Thanks, I just replied to your pm. Bob
Old 07-25-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Thanks, I just replied to your pm. Bob
Thanks for the long chat this afternoon Bob.... I am definetly going to get the d1 and 9" from you.

I am gonna try it out with the MS3 cam....since it seems I can't find anyone on this board that has done it(or at least posted about it), I guess I will be the crash test dummy.

It makes a consistant 390rwhp right now so I am hoping for 530rwhp at around 8lbs with the D1. Somehow it seems I always get let down though in my dyno hopes and dreams....

I mainly want my 38k stock motor to live a long life.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:36 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Thanks for the long chat this afternoon Bob.... I am definetly going to get the d1 and 9" from you.

I am gonna try it out with the MS3 cam....since it seems I can't find anyone on this board that has done it(or at least posted about it), I guess I will be the crash test dummy.

It makes a consistant 390rwhp right now so I am hoping for 530rwhp at around 8lbs with the D1. Somehow it seems I always get let down though in my dyno hopes and dreams....

I mainly want my 38k stock motor to live a long life.
Thanks for the call, I appreciate it! Bob
Old 07-26-2008, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The MS3 cam is ideal for spray. Being on a boosted car, it will pull like a frieght train up top when the cam is making its power, and the boost is getting to its peak. I say leave it in. But I also say if you're going to boost the stock bottom end, be ready for a rebuild as you will be playing with fire.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I also say leave it in. I remember seeing a thread were someone used I believe it wan an MS4 with a maggie and it made some sick numbers.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I know it will be a turd in the lower-midrange with the blower(just like it is now without it) but from 4-6500 it should rip... Bob mentioned with the exhaust flow that I have and the big cam, we are gonna have to pulley it way up to get 8lbs of boost, by doing that, the blower will be spinning faster, sooner, hopefully that will give us a little something in the midrange. I gotta get a 9" in this thing first though.

I am hoping for an honest 530hp.... Hell it makes 550hp on spray now and has been for the last few years(although I don't spray it that often, 2-3 bottles a year max) and the hit of that spray is pretty violent so the bottom end should be good with the smoother hit of the blower. Just got to keep it from detonating. I am torn between the twin 4.5" coolers or the front mount IC. I know the front mount would reduce temps more but I hate to cut my car all up to put it in....
Old 07-26-2008, 03:40 PM
FormerVendor

Yeah I know it will be a turd in the lower-midrange with the blower(just like it is now without it) but from 4-6500 it should rip... Bob mentioned with the exhaust flow that I have and the big cam, we are gonna have to pulley it way up to get 8lbs of boost, by doing that, the blower will be spinning faster, sooner, hopefully that will give us a little something in the midrange. I gotta get a 9" in this thing first though.

I am hoping for an honest 530hp.... Hell it makes 550hp on spray now and has been for the last few years(although I don't spray it that often, 2-3 bottles a year max) and the hit of that spray is pretty violent so the bottom end should be good with the smoother hit of the blower. Just got to keep it from detonating. I am torn between the twin 4.5" coolers or the front mount IC. I know the front mount would reduce temps more but I hate to cut my car all up to put it in....
No cutting, just bolting in Our new brackets are 100% bolt in, you loose the bumper beam though.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jake@EPP
No cutting, just bolting in Our new brackets are 100% bolt in, you loose the bumper beam though.
Are you talking about the foam or the actual steel structure? Does the front bumper cover flop around/flex etc without it?

I think the twins would fit/look better but I can only believe a big *** front mount cooler would pull more heat out of the charge then the two small ones, not to mention less bends etc.. Still researching this...
Old 07-26-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your compression gonna be ok with 8-9lbs boost?
Old 07-26-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Subscribed!
Old 07-26-2008, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Orr89rocz
Your compression gonna be ok with 8-9lbs boost?
I HOPE... its a stock compression motor so....Bob@EPP says 8lbs is no problem on a stock motor with the right tune etc. My buddy is putting 10lbs into his stock 02 Z06 and I believe those are a little higher compression then the LS1 so....his makes 600rwhp.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

cool cuz i'm sitting on 11 to 1 and i'm thinking i may upgrade to larger cc heads to bump it down near 9.8-10 to 1 and run just a tad bit of boost

cant wait to see how your motor does
Old 07-27-2008, 12:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

With my D1SC that was installed and tuned by EPP years ago ran just fine in Europe for 3 years. This was a stock engine making about 8psi. As long as the tune is good anything is possible. This was with a 98 and 90k miles.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:11 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Are you talking about the foam or the actual steel structure? Does the front bumper cover flop around/flex etc without it?

I think the twins would fit/look better but I can only believe a big *** front mount cooler would pull more heat out of the charge then the two small ones, not to mention less bends etc.. Still researching this...
The actual steel structure comes out. We haven't had a problem with the front bumper cover flexing. Bob

Quick Reply: Interested in D1sc but......have a cam...