Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

S480 mounting location

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 08:37 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default S480 mounting location

Hey guys,

I'm not a turbo guy, yet, but wanted to get started on mounting locations for my turbo setup. Is anyone currently running a S480? Where did you mount it?

Also, I am planning on running a forged 347 i have now with some dish pistons. Do you guys recommend 6.0 manifolds, or running one-off headers? I have a friend who is an excellent fabricator and will be building the turbo kit for me. Can anyone who has pics of a S480 setup post up pics of it installed?

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2008, 08:47 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
Hey guys,

I'm not a turbo guy, yet, but wanted to get started on mounting locations for my turbo setup. Is anyone currently running a S480? Where did you mount it?

Also, I am planning on running a forged 347 i have now with some dish pistons. Do you guys recommend 6.0 manifolds, or running one-off headers? I have a friend who is an excellent fabricator and will be building the turbo kit for me. Can anyone who has pics of a S480 setup post up pics of it installed?

Thanks!

Look at the OFI kit......it will fit even larger turbos. You'll be safe with that mounting location.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:14 AM
9 Second Club

Thanks Dr,

I wanted to go somewhere a little different than the standard push the radiator forward and stick it there. Do you have any other ideas?
Old 08-01-2008, 09:24 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
Thanks Dr,

I wanted to go somewhere a little different than the standard push the radiator forward and stick it there. Do you have any other ideas?
Only other place would be the battery tray. Firechicken on this board has one of our S91's in that position...... His car is making over 800rwhp on pump gas so its seems to work quite well. Also Kyle (Nasty-TA) had his S88 mounted same place as well and made 1132rwhp. I believe it may allow for the radiator to stay in its original position.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had mine mounted behind the 9" rear.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:45 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Zombie
I had mine mounted behind the 9" rear.
Much better than being mounted in your rear
Old 08-04-2008, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about hanging it in front of the radiator? with a burkart style bumper support and having the turbo inlet right at the lisence plate hole? anyone have it in that location and did you run into any oiling problems?
Old 08-04-2008, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am just going to go out on the limb and say, that is probably not the best place for a daily driven car.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sevanseriesta
I am just going to go out on the limb and say, that is probably not the best place for a daily driven car.

LOL duh this most def will NOT be a street driven car
Old 08-04-2008, 03:13 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by sevanseriesta

Good point, for the average street/strip car i wouldn't run it there. However, my car sees extremly limited street use(say less than 40 miles a month?!).
Old 08-04-2008, 03:43 PM
TECH Regular

There was a guy a while back in north or south carolina that mounted his in the front like that.I cant remember who he was,might be able to come up with it with a little searching.As I remember a lot of people gave him a hard time because he made some pretty good claims on the horspower.He said it really worked great though.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SUPERBOOST
There was a guy a while back in north or south carolina that mounted his in the front like that.I cant remember who he was,might be able to come up with it with a little searching.As I remember a lot of people gave him a hard time because he made some pretty good claims on the horspower.He said it really worked great though.
Might have been the guy with the B&G one off kit. That kit worked REAAAALLLLY well. something like 615rwhp on 5 or 6 psi.

Marty
Old 08-04-2008, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have the FI "ST80" which essentially is an S480, T4 flanged 80mm...anyways, mine is in the spot you don't want, but it works great and i like the way it looks. If you can run the 6L manifolds i would highly suggest it as you will save a TON of money in 1 3/4" stainless for header material. the only reason why i didn't run them with my setup is because we couldn't make the 4" DP fit with the truck manifolds with my particular K-member so we made our own headers with my kit...anyways, pic ***** away...

Old 08-04-2008, 07:07 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by SS4Matt
i have the FI "ST80" which essentially is an S480, T4 flanged 80mm...anyways, mine is in the spot you don't want, but it works great and i like the way it looks. If you can run the 6L manifolds i would highly suggest it as you will save a TON of money in 1 3/4" stainless for header material. the only reason why i didn't run them with my setup is because we couldn't make the 4" DP fit with the truck manifolds with my particular K-member so we made our own headers with my kit...anyways, pic ***** away...

Very nicely done.....also a S480 is a T6 unit and uses a different 80mm comp wheel. Either way when do you plan to hit the dyno?
Old 08-04-2008, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
Very nicely done.....also a S480 is a T6 unit and uses a different 80mm comp wheel. Either way when do you plan to hit the dyno?
ahh yeah, i get that messed up, the what 380 is the T4 right?...anyways. not sure on the dyno. my car is at my buddys house getting the BS3 and everything wired up. like i've said in previous posts a friend of mine has this same turbo in his 347r blocked hatchback stang and it's not even on kill making 20+'ish psi it's making around 700 to the tire on a mustang dyno that is at our local shop... it's a very stingy dyno as well. but either way, with lazy 60ft times, my buddy dans stang is still going low 9's and not making full passes so i'm sure i'm looking to be in the same range as him, especially because my turbo kit is a bit more superior then what is on his
Old 08-04-2008, 09:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by SS4Matt
ahh yeah, i get that messed up, the what 380 is the T4 right?...anyways. not sure on the dyno. my car is at my buddys house getting the BS3 and everything wired up. like i've said in previous posts a friend of mine has this same turbo in his 347r blocked hatchback stang and it's not even on kill making 20+'ish psi it's making around 700 to the tire on a mustang dyno that is at our local shop... it's a very stingy dyno as well. but either way, with lazy 60ft times, my buddy dans stang is still going low 9's and not making full passes so i'm sure i'm looking to be in the same range as him, especially because my turbo kit is a bit more superior then what is on his
Yeah I think I've seen that car on corral.net right?? That St80 is screaming on that car. I saw he want like 144+mph without really cranking into it... When he does it should pull 150+ on his full weight car.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
Yeah I think I've seen that car on corral.net right?? That St80 is screaming on that car. I saw he want like 144+mph without really cranking into it... When he does it should pull 150+ on his full weight car.
yea you probably did see it there, his name is Dan, DPMcgee or something of the likes is usually his forum name. Red hatch back. went 9.50s @144 leaving like a sally. the car has a TON more in it

Quick Reply: S480 mounting location