Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Sell existing LS1 for new boost shortblock, or build existing one?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sell existing LS1 for new boost shortblock, or build existing one?

I was just wondering if I would be better off selling the LS1 out of my firebird and using the money for a new boost shortblock (preferably 346/347 alum), or to just forge my LS1? I could prolly get over a grand for the engine since it is perfect condition and doesn't have too many miles(70k). This engine is going to be expected to live with about 600 rwhp give or take for a while with a proper set up. So let me here you opinion and maybe some sponsor links to some tough shortblocks.

Thanks in advance
Justin
Old 08-19-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

depends , can u wait while your car has no motor in it while u are rebuilding your existing?or do u need to have the motor right away?there are usually sponsors running deals on shortblocks most of the time.if u check out the sponsor deals and sales section u will probbaly find atleast 1 or 2 that are running deals right now.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

This project isn't going to take place until this fall when the car gets put up for the off season. I was looking at the texas speed lq9 370's. They are like 2800 bucks. The rotating assembly and labor of rebuilding my ls1 would probably put me close to that amount. Also, if I could get a grand or more for my running ls1, then I would only be paying like 1800 for the 370. Just a thought I guess but keep the opinions coming.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My vote is to sell the stock shortblock before you hurt it with boost. I was in the same boat not long ago and I decided to use my stock shortblock while I saved up for a forged one. That didn't last long and now I'm out the 1000$ I could have gotten before I blew it up.

Here is what happened to mine. https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/961125-stock-shortblock-11psi-novice-tuner-results-inside.html

I know you are asking about building yours or selling it but IMO it isn't worth it to build the engine yourself. After you price out all the parts it comes very close to the cost of a sponsor built shortblock. I would rather spend a few hundred dollars more and know that it was done right not only by professionals but by professionals that have LSx experiance.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

Black01M6SS, Thanks for the advice. I definitely have no aspirations of running boost to my stock block for fear of what happened to you. I won't have a problem waiting for my new short block as we will have several feet of snow in northern Michigan and will be getting my speed fix with my snowmobile I Guess the next thing I have to decide is where and what engine to get even though I am already leaning towards a 370.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

The tsp 370 will be good for you Im about 1700 in my rebuild of a ls1 but I went allout Arp every bolt in the bottom forge piston and rods hellfire rings ect.. Im lookin to get 700+ out of it for my S10 project or 95-97 camaro drift car. But you can do it for less than Im doing it. But im going to beat the hell out of this motor.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:34 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Check this link out to our engine rebuild.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...php?service=83 Bob
Old 08-20-2008, 07:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm in the same boat as you...sell the engine I have or have pistons and rods put in....

I was sold on a 370 iron block, but the more I thought about it, I dont really want an iron block in the car. Right now I'm either going to do a forged 347 or 6.0L LS2 because I want to stay with the stock stroke.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the link Bob. I thought that if i rebuilt my ls1 I would have to have it resleeved. But...I think that I am still sold on the 370 Iron shortblock. Not a bad price, lots of strength, and I don't mind about the extra weight on the front of the car. This is gonna be a straight line performer, not so much on the twisties.

Quick Reply: Sell existing LS1 for new boost shortblock, or build existing one?