Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

More f-body APS TT problems...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 07:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More f-body APS TT problems...

I'm not looking for an APS resolution to this because lord knows I won't get it!

...but I checked my twins today and noticed an unhealthy amount of shaft play with both turbos. This isn't the type of shaft play that goes forwards/backwards, but the type that goes side-to-side, allowing the compressor blades, and quite possibly turbine blades to actually touch the housing. JUST A HEADS UP!!!

And before Peter jumps in this thread and says I installed it wrong... well I didn't install the hot side, EPP did, and I think they know what they're doing; it's why I drove there.

Also, that stupid hose that connects to the over-flow tank cracked, let coolant leak, resulting in my car over heating! A pressure test showed no other leaks. That was an easy fix and I gave myself a pat on the back.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I read and maybe posted a long time ago that a fair amount of shaft play side to side is normal on the mits turbos and might seem worse than it would be when they are actually running with oil going thru them. Hope this is all it is for your sake and all our sakes.
As said the mits 20g turbos are generally very very reliable. I have had many mits turbos in my dsms and many have gone well past 100,000 miles. I would not be hitting the panic button on this just yet.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:35 PM
9 Second Club

mine are the same way
do you have any oil coming out of the seals?
Old 08-31-2008, 09:38 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a fair amount of axial movement with the MHI units. Like others stated, its one hell of a turbo thats been around for a long time.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I can understand your frustration with the other thread but have you talked to Peter yet?

If you want a resolution for a problem, that you don't even know if it's actually a problem or not, making a thread slamming the manufacturer before you actually talk to them is not the way to do it.

Have some ***** and call Peter and talk to him about it before you post slamming him.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:15 AM
TECH Resident

I've personally seen one fail (happened to be an APS Fbody kit) on the drivers side. Yes there is some play, but this one was side to side and in and out.

A/F test confirm differences from bank to bank. APS did offer a quick solution and their service was top notch.

As Louis said, these turbos/their technology has been around for a LONG time.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

There's more play than when I first pulled them out of the box. Yes, I had oil seeping past the seals. The kit's mostly off and I'm N/A for the time being.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:10 AM
TECH Veteran

I posted on the gto forum as pretty sure they have identical turbos to see how many on there have had probelms with their turbos. Also don't the c5 kit use same turbos as well???

I also found rebuild kits dirt cheap on ebay for the 20gs. No idea if they are easy or hard to install. They look extremely simple though. And not really that many parts.

Maybe a poll is in order here to see how many have had problems.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:15 AM
Staging Lane

End float on the turbocharger rotating group is 0.003” to 0.005”.

as stated by the enginering dept of APS. I have had a problem with the endplay too....

so add me to the list
Old 09-02-2008, 08:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had that same problem with the overflow hose. Took me a while to figure it out cause I was losing coolant and running hot. Once I figured that out, fixed the hose all is well.

I did notice some oil seepage on the drivers side turbo last time I was under there. The clamp that holds the turbo halves together was just about covered in it. But never any drips under the car and oil level stays cosntant as I monitor it and have not had to add any.

So far I can still just get in and go, but will continue to watch these things. Got almost 12k on the kit since the install.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:12 AM
TECH Veteran

So far not hearing much on from the gto section. So once again from those that know is it hard to put in one of these rebuild kits? Also is there something that needs to be set when they are put together to get the proper clearance and if so can they simply be taken apart and put back together with proper clearance if no damage has been done to the wheels? Just seems turbos are pretty simple things and shouldn't be having any problems with them. And non ball bearing are rebuildable obviously think ball bearing might not be??

And not saying we should be rebuilding our new aps turbos.If they really are assembled wrong they should go back and be fixed at their expense.I wish had installed my kit when got it last year but was determined to do a new engine with it. And that has been one delay after another.

So ls1greg were you still getting boost but you took them off as precaution? Where you hearing them hitting the sides of the housing ?

Here is 20g ebay rebuild kit.Looks like not that many parts.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Turbo-Rebuild...80819093a19285
Old 09-02-2008, 09:39 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rebuilding a 13B/14B/16G/20G is VERY easy. Its a Mitsu turbo, ALL of the DSM, Early EVOs, etc all had them.

If you Dont want to rebuild it, send it to Forced Performance. Robert and gang there are the ONLY place to go for DSM turbos and rebuilds, and thats essentially what this setup is.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:35 AM
11 Second Club

my shaft play was "ok".so far, so good. i was getting some oil drippage as well but most of it looks like its coming from the plugs that APS supplied. i tried chaging the rubber o-ring but it doesnt look like it held.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Louis
Rebuilding a 13B/14B/16G/20G is VERY easy. Its a Mitsu turbo, ALL of the DSM, Early EVOs, etc all had them.

If you Dont want to rebuild it, send it to Forced Performance. Robert and gang there are the ONLY place to go for DSM turbos and rebuilds, and thats essentially what this setup is.
Agreed, back in my DSM days I ran their FP Green Hybrid turbo and loved it. They are gods when it comes to Mitsu turbos.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:58 PM
TECH Veteran

I am still in my dsm days!
I have a forced performance FP3065 on my 97 talon .Might take that one off and put in on my 91 race talon project and run FP3052 on my 97 instead. The FP3065 is pretty crazy for a street turbo even on my 2.4 swap.

So anyway can a guy just take apart a 20g at home with snap ring pliers and put it back together it looks very easy? and notice you can also buy center cartridges for pretty reasonable.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:57 PM
FormerVendor

The DSM guys generally over boost the hell out of these turbos and put shaft speed way out of spec and they still live for a quite a while. Ive only seen a handfull fail due to shaft play, it sounds like it might be from poor balancing.

Greg, I hope you can get this figured out, i cannot imagine how bad it is to install a kit and only keep it out of boost. First the oil issue, and now the end play.

Quick Reply: More f-body APS TT problems...