Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What have I done now?????????????

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 07:30 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What have I done now?????????????

I ran back to the office with my daughter last night and got about 3/4 of the way home when it started to run rough and want to die. The car sounded like it had a small exhaust leak which I was going to fix today and now bam.

So my symptoms are white smoke from exhaust that smells a little like anti freeze when it is cool and like burnt plastic when it was hot last night and it won't idle turbo is making some funny noises and the exhaust leak seems worse. Seems to me like it might be a blown head gasket or a cracked head. Any input would be greatly appreciated. if it is the head gasket would it be wise to do h/c or just do a rebuild making a stroker forged for my sts setup. motor is all stock right now.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:36 AM
TECH Regular

im gonna guess head gasket, but youll only find out if you pull it off and see
Old 09-09-2008, 08:50 AM
On The Tree

Another way is to take the radiator cap off (when its cold) have someone start the car and check the resivor for air bubbles. You can also leave the cap on run the car for say 30 seconds and if the cooling system is pressurized then you most likely have a blown head gasket. Also, if you are using coolant that is another pretty good indication. If its a fairly bad leak you can check the oil fill location and if you see a white milkly residue covering stuff you have a blown head gasket as well (this usually only happens if it has been like that for a while).
Old 09-09-2008, 10:58 AM
Launching!

She's Done Head Gasket With Coolant In The Crankcase Aggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! Here We Go With A New Build. I Am Smiling And Crying At The Same Time.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:26 AM
TECH Regular

well take it apart first you may just need a gasket unless you drove it around like that
Old 09-10-2008, 08:25 AM
Launching!

drove it home 1/4 mile or less
Old 09-10-2008, 08:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by knappbunch
drove it home 1/4 mile or less
Had tht happen to a Ford "5.0" I owned. Replaced the gaskets and flushed the milkshake (oil/coolant mix) from the block. Used diesel fuel to flush it (no kidding) Refilled w/ oil, thought it would never start....and ran it hard for a long time before selling to a friend. He then ran it for 5 years and all was well when he sold it too......

Moral of the story....it's a bit labor intensive, but not a hard fix.

BTW, good time to change to head studs
Old 09-11-2008, 07:24 AM
Launching!

well this was my decision right or wrong i wanted to go normally aspirated but that would mean building a monster to get to where i wanted to be. Plus i would have to get new intake, exhaust, and converter which could have been feasible but way more money than i want to spend on the car. So I decided to keep the turbo and put a forged set up in my stock block. Keeping same crank with new heads, valve train and rebuilding the engine for boost. boost goals are 10 to 12 lbs now i am adding the intercooler and routing the oil return line to the pan or valvecover and wrapping the exhaust. should take care of most of the issues i was having with the sts set up I know there may be more but this is the route i have chosen and hopefully I have made a good choice. we will see. i already had piston slap on startup so i figured now was as good a time as any to do it all.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:40 AM
10 Second Club

Is the turbo water cooled? Maybe the turbo went bad and the impeller isn't turning causing a restriction and anti freeze smell. You can check for a bad head gasket by using a sniffer to check for hydocarbons in the coolant, I think they even have kits that check for hydrocarbons.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:31 AM
Banned

white smoke (from tailpipes) never lie.
HEADGASKET!
Old 09-12-2008, 03:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mike13
Is the turbo water cooled? Maybe the turbo went bad and the impeller isn't turning causing a restriction and anti freeze smell. You can check for a bad head gasket by using a sniffer to check for hydocarbons in the coolant, I think they even have kits that check for hydrocarbons.
STS turbos are not watercooled.

Quick Reply: What have I done now?????????????