Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Rear Mount turbo Update

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 12:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Mount turbo Update

awhile ago some one was working on a rear mounted turbo for the F-body. I did a search but found nothing, how did that end up working out.

Old 09-14-2003, 01:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Rear Mount turbo Update

Well, you need the turbo as close as possible to the exhaust to use the exiting gases at peak efficiency.
Old 09-14-2003, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think the idea was a flop....
Old 09-14-2003, 03:29 PM
00z
On The Tree

http://www.ufba.org/forum/index.php?...3476;start=140

looks like he's still working on it.
that camaro in fl gaind a whole second with out being tuned. not sure of normal gains but that sounds good to me.
Old 09-14-2003, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

This LT1 picked up 80 rwhp on 5lbs of boost....

here

There's a video of it too on that site...sounds pretty good!
Old 09-14-2003, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

Location: its as intense as the time i forgot how to sit down

whats the site
Old 09-19-2003, 08:18 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there are so many things that concern me with this setup...first wouldnt the cat sap even more heat from the exhaust system as well as cutting velocity? Also what about rain? Wouldnt most of it just get sucked up into that system considering it be splattered right on the filter from the drivers rear tire? Wouldnt smaller exhast tubing going to the housing give you more velocity and possibly help the turbo spool faster? I mean it would be great if it works but there is obviously more potential with turbos...im sure if a stock ls1 guy only gained 80hp with a turbo theyd be dissapointed since most get over 100 and gobs and gobs of tq. JMO

lata
Bill
Old 09-19-2003, 11:33 AM
TECH Resident

my opinion is, that what this kit looses from exhaust velocity it gains from a much better flowing exhaust you could even use a set of LTs. and you could always use 2 1/2" pipe thats jethot coated. another thing I wonder is if it`s intercooled and i`d like to see more picture of the rest of the piping instead of the mounting location.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:38 PM
Staging Lane

That throws most of the logic of having the turbo out the window. Most of the exhaust pressure/heat, will be lost..

Very poor on spool up time/boost/functionality..

Not worth the fuss..
Old 09-19-2003, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe that the length of the piping back to the intake on this setup seemed to cool the intake charge, if I remember correctly.

I agree that spool time will be affected, but by what...1000rpm.

Not a bad solution for someone that wants a moderate setup.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:32 PM
Staging Lane

You forget, gases expand when they're hot.
The exhaust will lose ALOT of heat by the time it gets to the turbo..
Heat also contributes to spinning the turbo..

To me, it would seem that setup would be like revving the engine up with no load.. unless you have a smaller turbo.. but thats no fun..
Old 09-19-2003, 02:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

did you ever get that mach setup in your truck or is it still sitting around? I think if the exhaust housing is small enough and you could get the gases to enter it quickly enough youd be ok but geez youve got 2 cats and about 7 feet if tubing to the turbo...i know if i put my hand over the exhaust pipes it aint comin out that quick meaning i think it would have a hard times spooling up.

lata
Bill
Old 09-21-2003, 02:04 PM
9 Second Club

its a interesting concept I say let testing trial and error decide if its gonna work not theory......
Old 09-27-2003, 07:00 AM
Staging Lane

I live about 30 minutes from the shop where this is being developed so I went and checked it out. I had a turbotech singkle kit on my TA for awhile, and know a fair bit about turbocharging so I didn't expect much. I looked at the kit, and then went for a ride in the car.

Obviously lag is worse than a conventional turbo system, but not by much. By using a smaller exhaust housing they kind of avoid the slow spool issue. Adibiatic effeciany is way up because the exhaust is so much cooler way back there.

All in all, I was pretty impressed. The best thing about the kit is ease of install, and the gains for the $$$ and time. I couldn't really get a final kit price out of the guy, but if it's pretty cheap (less than 3k) I think it could be a great mod for a guy looking to have a neat street car. I don't think its going to shatter records or anything, but I think we should see some nice gains. Only time will tell.
Old 05-25-2004, 03:49 AM
Staging Lane

I plan on doing a rear mount turbo kit at the end of August or so. Mark Shaner gave me a brochure (spelling?) on the kit and from what he has said, and from what I have heard, the kit is economically sound, and very easy to install. Apparently on a stock car at 5 psi, the owner made around 410-420 at the wheels. I was also told that the temperatures were in the area of around 500 degrees cooler. I am very interested, and I will let you all know if I find out anything new. The attraction to me is I power to reliability ratio. I have heads/cam (had bottle) and am very impressed about making pretty sufficient power, relatively safely (I site the qmp car for instance, and a few others in Dallas that have this kit running mid 500 rwhp). Let me know what you all think, and if you have any input. Thanks!
Old 05-25-2004, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

TNTZ, you are talking about my car. Mark told me on Sat. you are interested in a kit.
My car made 412/451 @5psi; only mods are LS6 springs and Shaner S2. Car drives stock, gets better gas mileage, and still has the power.
Get my number from Mark, and we can get together so you can take a closer look.
I will make a good deal on the kit.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:00 PM
TECH Resident

...... I thoguht i would bring this back up for those unbelievers of hte rear mount turbo systems. I was amazed at the results they wer able to come up with
Old 06-29-2007, 10:22 PM
Teching In

I was amazed also. I like working on the car and having all of the tubing out of the way makes life alot easier. I took a ride in a z28 and i was very impressed. Hardly any lag at all. So i have the kit and ordered the fmic from TRT and gonna have some fun. I'm wondering if having the exhaust coated with jethot 2000 black makes any difference other than wrapping...I'm considering having the housing coated also. If anyone has done this and can see a gain let me know. I don't want to throw money away....
Old 06-29-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

I can attest that the system doesn't work at all. i get 0 psi at 6k rpms and my car is actually slower than before .

FYI, I love my car and I no very little lag except in 1st gear (M6). The car hauls like a **** and Billy at TRT did a great job on the tuning, accessorites, etc.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:48 AM
TECH Addict

hey naysayers...wanna race? I was nipping on the heels of a heads/cam vette the other day on a 70 to 120 I-95 roll!

P.S. I weigh a little more than the Vette.

Quick Reply: Rear Mount turbo Update