Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Installed Walbro 255.. Car won't start now

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 10:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installed Walbro 255.. Car won't start now

I finished the install... put some fresh gas in from a can that I filled at the station.. car started fine. Then I shut it off. A couple minutes later I took the car out for a complete fill-up.. no problems, fuel pressure hovered a bit below 60 and everything seemed fine. Had the car off at the station and it fired up no problem for the ride home. I just went to head out and when I turn the key nothing happens. I hear what I think is the pump priming normally.. just like I heard before when things were working right after the install. Any ideas?

Last edited by ballhawkdawk; 01-04-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

does the starter click or anything? From what you are telling us the car is not turning over correct? if the pump is priming normally it might not be related.

check simple things like fuses, grounds, relays, etc
Old 01-04-2009, 11:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MTBSully
does the starter click or anything? From what you are telling us the car is not turning over correct? if the pump is priming normally it might not be related.

check simple things like fuses, grounds, relays, etc
The starter does click.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:12 AM
Launching!

So the car Isn't cranking over the starter Is just clicking
Old 01-05-2009, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

sounds to me like your battery might be dead. throw some jumper cables or a charger on it and see what happens. if not, then i don't know haha
Old 01-05-2009, 11:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MTBSully
sounds to me like your battery might be dead. throw some jumper cables or a charger on it and see what happens. if not, then i don't know haha
Thats what I was thinking,or the cable Is loose.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:05 AM
10 Second Club

check fuel pressure if its still low.. take the sending unit out and check the fuel line on the pump. when i did mine the line kept leaking and coming apart,causing low psi and wouldnt start. u'll have to get a high pressure insulated line.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jason02Z
check fuel pressure if its still low.. take the sending unit out and check the fuel line on the pump. when i did mine the line kept leaking and coming apart,causing low psi and wouldnt start. u'll have to get a high pressure insulated line.
Fuel pressure reads 0 until the car starts, right? My fuel pressure is at 0 now.

BTW, it's not the battery. Radio and all lights work fine.

I'm not home right now, but hopefully it's the fuel line. I just don't see why it would make it home fine and then decide to come off.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Launching!

if it is clicking and not cranking over it is either the battery ground or a dirty terminal on the battery. or the battery could have enough juice for lights and such but not enough to engage the starter.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ballhawkdawk
Fuel pressure reads 0 until the car starts, right? My fuel pressure is at 0 now.
Is this right on an LS1? My LT1 pump starts just as soon as I turn the ignition to "ON" and I usually wait until I am at full pressure before starting the vehicle.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by knappbunch
if it is clicking and not cranking over it is either the battery ground or a dirty terminal on the battery. or the battery could have enough juice for lights and such but not enough to engage the starter.
exactly. If the car is not turning over i really doubt it is a fuel pressure problem
Old 01-05-2009, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

I'll check the battery in a couple hours when I get home. I guess it would just be an odd coincidence that the battery took a dump right after installing the pump. Maybe the battery was on its way out and the extra juice required to run the pump was too much? It did seem to take an extra second or two to start up after I swapped the pump.

I read the write-ups and try to make sure I install everything properly when I do stuff myself, but I'm not terribly knowledgeable, especially when it comes to troubleshooting.

I'm gonna try to jump start the car and see if that works. Hopefully it's just the battery because the fuel pressure and car were perfect after I gave it a test run to the gas station.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Launching!

yeah most likely an electrical issue since the car isn't even turning over
Old 01-05-2009, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

Tried jumping the car.. no luck. Checked the connectors under the car and they were intact. You guys are pretty sure it's not an issue with the fuel? I guess I'll have to cut the access tomorrow and pull the pump assembly.. i'm not dropping the tank again if i don't have to.

The priming of the pump is a 2-3 second buzzing sound, right? I hear that fine every time.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:01 PM
10 Second Club

LOL mine JUST started doing the same exact thing....

car has been fine since the first now, with key on barely starts and only has 20 psi at a very rough idle.

I think jason02Z has it right.... that is the 2nd thing I am checking in the morning after I replace the fuel filter.

I'll let you know what I find

yes and the pump is what you are hearing
Old 01-06-2009, 09:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

If the engine won't spin over, the fuel pump has absolutely NOTHING to do with that problem.
The T/S should focus on the starting system.....
Once you turn the key on, the pump goes to prime, then shuts off. The pump will not turn back on again unless the PCM sees cranking rpm.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just to add to what was mentioned above... When the pump primes (that buzzing noise for 2-3 seconds), your fuel pressure should raise up to 58psi. Sometimes walbro pumps (especially from vendors like racetronix), have the check-***** removed so they do not hold that pressure after the pump primes. The pressure will slowly drop to zero as the fuel empties back into the tank.

If you think the fuel line in the tank came off, its pretty easy to check if you have another person around. Have your friend turn the key on while you sit back near the fuel tank. If you're outside the car and the line came off, you'll hear splashing in the tank.

And as it was mentioned above, if it isn't cranking then you've got non-fuel related problems as well.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SmokinV8,
The Racetronix pumps do not have their check valves removed. Not sure where you got this erroneous information. I've been selling/installing these for years & have never seen one without a check valve.

Models with a venturi setup bleed pressure through the venturi & will lose pressure. This has nothing to do with the check valve.

Non-venturi setups can lose prime, but that is usually due to the regulator or an improper install.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:34 PM
10 Second Club

I thought he had said it cranked but would not start....and had low fuel pressure

mine was due to my neglect of forgetting to change filter and when I put it back in I must have messed my float up and gas gauge was off my quarter tank fixed those 2 problems and I am fine now
Old 01-06-2009, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

if it wont crank its most likelY the battery if it ran befor put a charger on it for a few hours if it stil wont crank take the battery to a autozone and c if its any good may need new bat. if it is cranking and wont start then its most likely is something wrong with your install.

Quick Reply: Installed Walbro 255.. Car won't start now