Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Boost referenced at the rails and return questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 06:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Boost referenced at the rails and return questions

I'm have to get a boost referenced regulator and some fuel rails. I've been searching and can't really find out what I'm looking for.

When you use an external regulator, you have your input, your line to the rails and the return. My question is, if you use the stock supply line as the return,

1. how exactly is that done?
2. Is the evap line left untouched?
3. How do you supply the new say -8 line to the regulator?
4. What is modified when doing this?
Old 01-25-2009, 01:58 PM
11 Second Club

bump for the fuel system gurus
Old 01-25-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The return line has to be larger diameter than the supply line, so you add a new line.

You have to connect the FPR reference to the intake manifold, so you may need a T fitting.

Also, you will have to edit your IFR table, it will now be flat (not sloped).
Old 01-25-2009, 05:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by joecar
The return line has to be larger diameter than the supply line, so you add a new line.

You have to connect the FPR reference to the intake manifold, so you may need a T fitting.

Also, you will have to edit your IFR table, it will now be flat (not sloped).
That sounds backwards. I've read several people supplying with -8 and use the stock feed as the return. I'm trying to figure out how its actually accomplished and what is done with the evap line.

As for the IFR table, what value would be used when the information is put into the spread sheet there are values that are given.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
I'm have to get a boost referenced regulator and some fuel rails. I've been searching and can't really find out what I'm looking for.

When you use an external regulator, you have your input, your line to the rails and the return. My question is, if you use the stock supply line as the return,

1. how exactly is that done?
2. Is the evap line left untouched?
3. How do you supply the new say -8 line to the regulator?
4. What is modified when doing this?
I would keep the stock evap and not use it as a return.

In a quick - To use the stock feed as a return, you will need to run a new line (-8) and filter from the tank sending unit to aftermarket rails. A quick connect fitting will connect the -8 line to the sending unit. The return line will come off the fpr and will quick connect to your stock feed hard line. You will have to move the stock feed quick connect to the return side of the sending unit(stock fpr must be removed). Block T-block where the stock return line comes off of the feed line and ditch the stock return line. Don't forget to replace the stock filter since it will now flow in reverse.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:39 PM
11 Second Club

When you explain it, it makes sense. I appreciate that. What would be a sufficient amount of -8 from the tank to the rails? Also its crowded on the drivers side due to the crossover for the turbo. I wouldn't be against leaving the return and evap there, but the larger -8 line I'd rather run it on the passenger side. Has anyone done this?
Old 01-25-2009, 07:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I used 15 ft total. 5ft of -8 from sending unit to filter, 10ft of -8 from filter to rails. It was actually a little too long. Your best bet is to just measure it.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:52 PM
11 Second Club

Any reason not to run the feed up the passenger side? The line would have to run the same direction initially and the wrap around the tank. I don't have any exhaust, just a dumped downpipe.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Any reason not to run the feed up the passenger side? The line would have to run the same direction initially and the wrap around the tank. I don't have any exhaust, just a dumped downpipe.
I don't see that it would be a problem. Just may take some longer line. The shorter the line the better though but I don't think it would matter much if we're talking just a few more feet. The shorter the line, the less restriction/friction.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:22 PM
11 Second Club

To have a -8 supply line, you have to have a -8 quick connect right? I can only seem to find a -6. Anyone have a link to -8?

Also, maybe I'm a bit confused after looking at some peoples setups. How exactly do the lines run? I mean as far as from the tank to the motor and back to the tank. I cant tell if the feed goes to the rails first and then the regulator, back to the rails, and then return or whats going on.

Last edited by 98Camarod; 01-26-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

That sounds backwards. I've read several people supplying with -8 and use the stock feed as the return. I'm trying to figure out how its actually accomplished and what is done with the evap line.

As for the IFR table, what value would be used when the information is put into the spread sheet there are values that are given.
If the return line is smaller diameter it may restrict the return flow which slows down the FPR response to manifold reference... i.e. the FPR won't regulate precisely... (look closely at any vehicle that uses a return FPR, the return line is always bigger)... Can you get away with it...? Maybe... it may make tuning a little harder to nail.

The first cell (at vac=0) of the IFR is usually the right value for all cells across... but you should measure the rail pressure with the reference hose removed, the value measured goes into the spreadsheet, and the resulting value in the first cell is the one.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:21 PM
11 Second Club

I forgot that my alternator has been relocated up top. I'm pretty sure there isn't enough room to have anything on that port of the rails. How would I route all the lines and have it function correctly, with having the feed coming up from the passenger side?
Old 01-27-2009, 02:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

If you look at any car, you will see that the return line is the same size or typically smaller. Never bigger.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance
If you look at any car, you will see that the return line is the same size or typically smaller. Never bigger.
And ALL of the regulators I've seen the return was smaller.

Lonnie, is there any way you could give me some advice how I could run my fuel lines keeping in mind the relocated alternator? Theres only three ports available on the rails.

Also, I can't seem to find a price on your site for the 98 hotwire kit. I'd also like to get 20 ft of -8, associated regulator, and the necessary fittings. Do you think you could help me out?
Old 01-27-2009, 02:51 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lonnie or I could certainly help you setup a kit for your new feed and return lines. Give us a call.

Nate
Old 01-27-2009, 07:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nasty N8
Lonnie or I could certainly help you setup a kit for your new feed and return lines. Give us a call.

Nate
I'm not home during business hours.

What I want to do is run a -8 line up the passenger side for a feed line and use the stock supply line as the return. I will need a boost referenced regulator, required fittings to hook up to the tank and return. I have some speed inc rails on the way. I will not be able to use the front passenger port on the rails because there isn't enough room due to the relocated alternator. Is that a problem or what can be done?
Old 01-28-2009, 09:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not think there is a quick disconnect fitting to convert to -8. I am using -6 feed and using the stock feed as a return as well. They make an fitting that is pretty much a compression fitting to convert your line to -6 to connect to your regulator.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

To have a -8 supply line, you have to have a -8 quick connect right? I can only seem to find a -6. Anyone have a link to -8?
Aeromotive 15118

http://www.aeromotiveinc.com/products.php?prod=87
Old 02-05-2009, 05:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
Thanks!

Heres a question for everyone. What is the value/values that go into the IFR table when using the boost referenced regulator?

I have 42.5lb injectors and a 2 bar map and I'll be running 58psi.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

You will modify {EFILive B3701 (Injector pulse width voltage adjustment)} or {HPT Injector offset table} and {EFILive B4001 (IFR)} or {HPT Flow Rate vs. KPA} fueling tables. When using a referenced pressure regulator, you will put the same value all the way across/down in B4001. In B3701, use the value in the 0 row or column depending on which tuning software your using and copy it all the way down or across.

Quick Reply: Boost referenced at the rails and return questions