Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

what size of injector for ethanol

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 01:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what size of injector for ethanol

hey guys,i'm doing my truck turbo kit and i need to know what size of injectors i can use for tune with ethanol.thanks
Old 04-12-2009, 07:36 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good rule of thumb is that E85 setups will need about 125% more flow capacity than gas. If you are pulling 96# injectors you will need 120# injectors to run E85. Same thing for the pump. If you are pushing a 255L pump, step up to 420L pump or dual 255Ls.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

im wondering the same thing. Building a stock bottomend lq4 with a s88 and was throwing around the idea of using e85. I have a a1000 pump, should be big enough just wondering about injector size also. But what about all the seals too??
Old 04-12-2009, 10:52 AM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

A1000 pumps (which are pieces of **** BTW) will max out around 675whp on ethanol. 65# injectors will max out around 700whp. Dual walbros will go to about 725-750whp. If your going to run e85 i suggest a weldon 2035 or 2025, otherwise 2 of the new fuelab DC brushless pumps. Depending on how much power you want to make, 160# injectors will go to 1100whp if you really push them. If it was me i would do the 160s, with the weldon pump
Old 04-12-2009, 11:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

forget all that then, ill stick to pump gas or 100 unleaded
Old 04-12-2009, 01:49 PM
Staging Lane

i'm looking for 800 rwhp.When i buy the 160# injectors,this are low impedance.What can i do?Change my computer or buy aq converter to high impedance.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:02 PM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

your going to need a converter box regardless. If you only want 800whp you might be able to get away with 96#, but i think i would do the 120#. They will do what you want easy enough
Old 04-13-2009, 01:04 AM
Staging Lane

the point is,i have an aluminum block and i don't know how much power can support this block.it a 347 forged.
how much power you think i can do with this block.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:28 AM
On The Tree

The best injectors out right now are the Injector Dynamics 1000cc high imp. they perform better than the rest both at extremely low duty cycle and extremely high pressure all while atomizing better.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:42 AM
Staging Lane

how many pounds are 1000cc. can this run on e85
Old 04-14-2009, 08:53 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by rx_treme
The best injectors out right now are the Injector Dynamics 1000cc high imp. they perform better than the rest both at extremely low duty cycle and extremely high pressure all while atomizing better.
The injector dynamics 1000cc injectors have a very good reputation and are custom modified Bosch EV14 injectors. The EV14 injectors have very good properties for a high impedance injector but keep in mind that the low impedance Bosch and Siemens injectors are faster to open because they are low impedance peak and hold injectors.

These peak and hold injectors are hammered open with a peak current and then held in their open position by a lower holding current, this is why many low impedance injectors have faster response times as compared to high impedance injectors. This is changing due to some very new injectors and piezo / ultra lightweight designs but most peak and hold injectors currently still have better low pulsewidth control due to the electrical control method.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

This thread has been extremely helpful! I have a question to add to this though. If I were to go with the 160lb injectors, weldon 2035, and the AEM Peak & Hold Injector Driver. What kind of rails, and fuel lines would I need?
Old 04-15-2009, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

well you can use #8 or #10 lines with fast or scorpion fuel rails,i think that work.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bmotorsports
The injector dynamics 1000cc injectors have a very good reputation and are custom modified Bosch EV14 injectors. The EV14 injectors have very good properties for a high impedance injector but keep in mind that the low impedance Bosch and Siemens injectors are faster to open because they are low impedance peak and hold injectors.

These peak and hold injectors are hammered open with a peak current and then held in their open position by a lower holding current, this is why many low impedance injectors have faster response times as compared to high impedance injectors. This is changing due to some very new injectors and piezo / ultra lightweight designs but most peak and hold injectors currently still have better low pulsewidth control due to the electrical control method.
This is basically out of date with the newer saturated designs that most injector manufacturers have been using. The injector dynamics ev14's have much better low pulsewidth control than just about all peak and hold injectors. They are linear down to 1.2ms and all the way up to 95% duty cycle allowing for more fueling from the same size injector, plus you don't need to deal with adding resistors or peak and hold boxes, just plug em in. Not to mention the atomization and matching benefits achieved with the ID injectors as well. The 1000's would be perfect for an 800hp e85 setup and will be able to supply more fuel as needed by using a higher base pressure (the ID1000's flow 1525cc at 100psi base).
Old 04-19-2009, 06:55 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 2a_ron
This is basically out of date with the newer saturated designs that most injector manufacturers have been using. The injector dynamics ev14's have much better low pulsewidth control than just about all peak and hold injectors. They are linear down to 1.2ms and all the way up to 95% duty cycle allowing for more fueling from the same size injector, plus you don't need to deal with adding resistors or peak and hold boxes, just plug em in. Not to mention the atomization and matching benefits achieved with the ID injectors as well. The 1000's would be perfect for an 800hp e85 setup and will be able to supply more fuel as needed by using a higher base pressure (the ID1000's flow 1525cc at 100psi base).
The Bosch EV14 injectors are very good injectors and they fall into my statement above regarding the newest generation of injectors:
This is changing due to some very new injectors and piezo / ultra lightweight designs but most peak and hold injectors currently still have better low pulsewidth control due to the electrical control method.
The Injectors Dynamics 1000cc injectors are modified EV14 pieces. Now I should correct myself and state that I do not specifically know that the Injectors Dynamics 1000cc injectors are faster or slower than the low impedance injectors I mentioned because I have not dynamically flowed both injectors back to back. As a general rule, my statement is still valid for most of the performance injectors available that are often prior generation. I should also point out that battery voltage and driver design can cause variance.

Our company stays away from "modified" or "custom injectors" and we stay with oem quality components because frankly there is a lot of junk out there. Given the poor performance of so many "modified" injectors there are few I would trust a solid $15k+ engine with. After reviewing the calculations and data from Injector Dynamics, I am impressed. Paul has created a lot of good documentation and helpful tools to help those who understand how to use those tools.

I should also point out that the figures you quoted are lower than the documentation I saw for those injectors which states:
linearity within 2% all the way down to 2ms, predictable response down to 1.5ms
Either way, both solutions should work well and we may carry these higher flow EV14 injectors in the future. At the very least we will certainly take the time to evaluate these Injectors Dynamics 1000cc EV14 injectors at an engineering level rather than an anecdotal level.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bmotorsports
The Bosch EV14 injectors are very good injectors and they fall into my statement above regarding the newest generation of injectors:

The Injectors Dynamics 1000cc injectors are modified EV14 pieces. Now I should correct myself and state that I do not specifically know that the Injectors Dynamics 1000cc injectors are faster or slower than the low impedance injectors I mentioned because I have not dynamically flowed both injectors back to back. As a general rule, my statement is still valid for most of the performance injectors available that are often prior generation. I should also point out that battery voltage and driver design can cause variance.

Our company stays away from "modified" or "custom injectors" and we stay with oem quality components because frankly there is a lot of junk out there. Given the poor performance of so many "modified" injectors there are few I would trust a solid $15k+ engine with. After reviewing the calculations and data from Injector Dynamics, I am impressed. Paul has created a lot of good documentation and helpful tools to help those who understand how to use those tools.

I should also point out that the figures you quoted are lower than the documentation I saw for those injectors which states:

Either way, both solutions should work well and we may carry these higher flow EV14 injectors in the future. At the very least we will certainly take the time to evaluate these Injectors Dynamics 1000cc EV14 injectors at an engineering level rather than an anecdotal level.

I definitely agree that there is a lot of junk out there, if its even possible to call it that (I have seen some completely worthless ****), and I think is another reason injector dynamics is needed and educate the general public between the difference. The matching ID does is top notch and I do apologize for the incorrect numbers, I was going from memory and I should have double checked that number prior to posting. I know some of the real world results have been pretty awesome like busa's and civics idling like stock. I think if you gave them a try, you would love them. Most tuners who have tried them insist on using them in all projects that they could... I couldn't believe how much easier they were to tune than any other injector combo I had tried on my car..

Quick Reply: what size of injector for ethanol