Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Anyone have step by step instructions for a fuel line removal and replace??

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone have step by step instructions for a fuel line removal and replace??

Need to swap my out bc of a leak... Also, roughly how long would this take if this your first time?

Any help is appreciated.

Edit: Sorry guys, the title is supposed to read...

"Anyone have step by step instructions for a fuel rail removal and replace?? "

Last edited by Donohue96M6Z28; 09-12-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Launching!

which fuel lines are you speaking of? all of them? on the tank? fuel rails? the steel lines running to the rear of the car?
Old 09-12-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Damn I'm sorry man... I meant to put "fuel rail" in the title. My mistake.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, if it's your first time it''' probably take an hour. Depends how handy you are with the fuel line disconnects.

My advice to you is to not use the plastic line disconnect tool. I spent like 12 bucks on the blue anodized, and it works like a champ.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:30 AM
FormerVendor

Are you replacing with stockers, or billet? Will you be making custom fuel lines with AN fittings etc? That will add quite a bit of time and money to the process.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jmill96Z
Honestly, if it's your first time it''' probably take an hour. Depends how handy you are with the fuel line disconnects.

My advice to you is to not use the plastic line disconnect tool. I spent like 12 bucks on the blue anodized, and it works like a champ.
An hour isn't too bad. I'll check out the disconnect tools later today. Thanks for the advice

Originally Posted by Brakemotive
Are you replacing with stockers, or billet? Will you be making custom fuel lines with AN fittings etc? That will add quite a bit of time and money to the process.
I'll be replacing it with a stock fuel rail. Mine has a leak. I have a few adapters/fittings coming off of the end of the fuel rail for my gauges, but I'm thinking about taking them out all together, bc I think they are what may have caused my leak with all the added weight at the end of it.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:34 PM
FormerVendor

Swapping a stock set of rails is pretty straight forward. First make sure the fuel pressure is relieved by depressing the schrader valve on the end of the drivers side rail. Then disconnect the feed line using the disconnect tool (plastic ones work fin IMHO and you can get a complete set at napa for like $8). Then simply unbolt all the visible bolts holding the rails down. Once all have been removed just tug up on the entire assembly and reverse to install the new rails. Really not much to it.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Are there any o-rings etc that need to replaced? or is just swapping the fuel injectors over to the other fuel rail and replace?
Old 09-15-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Also, a stock fuel rail used on an ls1 intake will work on an ls6 intake, correct?

Thanks for the help
Old 09-15-2009, 10:35 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
Also, a stock fuel rail used on an ls1 intake will work on an ls6 intake, correct?

Thanks for the help
Yup. As far as o-rings, just make sure they aren't damaged in anyway and be vigilant of fuel leaks after the install.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:53 PM
Launching!

I have wondered this myself, I have an automatic trans, is looks like Id need to remove the trans dipstick, is this correct?
Old 09-16-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Brakemotive
Yup. As far as o-rings, just make sure they aren't damaged in anyway and be vigilant of fuel leaks after the install.
Thanks for the help man. That fuel line was a pain to get off, I had to get a few different fuel disconnect tools and then finally one worked. I have my injectors swapped over to the new fuel rail and I'm eager to get my car running again
Old 09-16-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Junkie

I got it back on about an hour ago...For some reason, the drivers side fuel injectors didn't seem to go in as far. I could still see a little bit of an oring when I was looking at from the top view. I messed with them for about 10-15min but I couldnt get them in anymore. So I left them as they were. Started the car...let it idle for a couple minutes then went for a drive. It was doing the same sputtering thing. I went over to my GFs place, and let it set for a couple minutes. Came back out, and drove it a couple miles, accelerated and I didn't notice obvious sputter, but it still felt a little different to me. Maybe its just in my head though. I checked for fuel leaks, didnt notice any. I'm going to take it for another drive tomorrow and see how it runs.

By the way... my gf lives on the street next door, and a few houses up. She didnt know I was putting the rail back on, yet a few minutes after I started it and asked if I got my car running. I miss having my loud/OBNOXIOUS car