Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Rough idle and then dies

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 10:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough idle and then dies

99 TA all stock motor and fuel pump I think. Car has 150K on it. This thursday it just kinda died on me and would barely start and rough idle but not enough to where I could get it to move. After 2 days I go out to try and start it and it idles very rough for a short time and then idles fine. Start again and it does the same thing. Try to move it and it dies. I would think if it's the fuel pump it wouldn't start at all. Where are the fuel filters on this thing and does anyone have any ideas what else it might be?
Old 01-24-2010, 09:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the fuel pump. I would get some throttle body cleaner and have a someone spray it in the intake while you try starting it and see if the car runs ok. If it does then I'd say the pump is fried. If it is the pump I would recommend cutting a hole to replace it rather than droping the fuel tank.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:11 AM
11 Second Club

Default update

So after many tries to get it to run yesterday, tested the fuel pressure and have 60 pounds at the fuel rail...so no fuel pump.
Started several times and all of a sudden runs fine.
I have heard of a particle of rust getting on an o2 sensor and nmaking it go haywire and run like absolute crap.
Is it possible that this freak happening could be it? Seems to run fine now.
Half afraid to drive it anywhere and get stuck.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:36 AM
Banned

I would just run it around the block and see if the symptoms come back. I would have guessed a vacuum leak. Any abnormal sounds from under the hood
Old 01-24-2010, 11:20 AM
11 Second Club

So, I just ran it for about 10 miles and everything seems normal. I am puzzled. put some Heet in it thinking it may have been water or ice in the fuel.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:30 AM
Launching!

Kinda dumb question, but before you drove it around, did you put new gas in it? The old gas may have caused it.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:42 AM
11 Second Club

No, same gas. I did fill up and put some Heet in it and filled it up after 5-6 miles of testing.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:00 PM
12 Second Club

could have been water frozen in the fuel or possibly the egr valve has something stuck in it or was stuck open. Did it have 60 psi fuel pressure when it was running shitty?
The car really doesn't use the o2 sensors until it has ran for a bit and goes into closed loop.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by spaz1
could have been water frozen in the fuel or possibly the egr valve has something stuck in it or was stuck open. Did it have 60 psi fuel pressure when it was running shitty?
The car really doesn't use the o2 sensors until it has ran for a bit and goes into closed loop.
Not sure about the psi when running shitty.
I am starting to lean towards water frozen.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:47 PM
11 Second Club

Default Grrrrrr

ok, so car start hicuping on the way home again. I pushed the clutch and revved it and it took the fuel. Fuel pump is still working but cat doesn't want to take the power sometimes and start to run very lean at times, but still runs. Any help?
Old 01-31-2010, 01:49 AM
11 Second Club

So, car acted up again on the way to work friday. I replaced the fuel pump and filter. We will see how it goes. Just for everyones info, the Granatelli pump that Jegs sells for this vehicle is not the correct one. It states that it is a good rebuild kit up to the 2002, but this in incorrect! We will see if the will take it back or not.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How can we help?

The GRN722-2 pump sold by Granatelli comes direct from Walbro replacment pumps. it is designed to fit your car. What seems to be the install probelm? Happy to help. The pump is what you need right? The filter sock also it what the Dr. ordered. Don't sweat the big plastic dog house around the pump. open it up, install the pump and close the enclosure. You can hose clamp it or zip tie it.

If your pump was the problem the Granatelli GRN722-2 will fix it. I agree it sounds like a pump & plugged exhaust

In any case we are always available for Tech help

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com...ay.php?gid=153

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com...ay.php?gid=147

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com...ay.php?gid=335

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com...ay.php?gid=114 - Just $125 on sale now