Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Car won't start, no fuel press. I really need help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start, no fuel press. I really need help.

Long storry short,car would not start once I got to work the other night, no fuel pressure in the rails, cannot hear pump kick on. replaced fp relay,and fuse, they are getting power,towed car home today,put in garage, I took off the fuel pump harness, and put a multimeter on the big black and purple wire, I believe that's the power and ground for the pump. and there not getting any voltage, when I turn the key on or off. Even if the pump went out,wouldn't I be getting voltage to the wires? Isn't the purple and black wires the power and ground for the fuel pump? Im really at a loss and need any help. thanks.there are 4 smaller wires connected to the harness, they are getting around 5v. that's it. Would it be safe to run a jumper from the pos. battery to the purple wire and plug in, just to see if pump kicks on ?

I can't find anything about a safety cutoff switch to the fp if the car get's in a accident? If there was one, I would look and see if it kicked on.
Car is my 06' gto. thanks for any ideas.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:56 PM
Teching In

Check your oil sneding unit behing your intake manifold, on GTO's (and may be other LS cars) if pcm can't see a good sending unit it won't allow the car to start. GTO's have been known to have a bad oil psi s/u.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes the large blue/purple wires are correct.
Purple is power
Blue is ground

You should only see power for approx 3-5 seconds, so have someone cycle the key for you.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Would the oil sending unit make the pcm cut power to the fp?

and I did have my son cycle the key, and no power to the purple wire. can I run a jumper from the battery pos. or fuse to the purple just to see if the pump kicks on?would that be safe enough to just try it out? I really appreciate the help....Lonnie
Old 01-27-2010, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay, just ran a jumper wire to the purple and was getting 12.5v. and still nothing pump would not kick on. So I'll take the tank out tomorrow and I'll have to get a new pump. To bad I couldn't get a discount you didn't have a discount for us having the same first name Lonnie...lol thanks for the help guys, this was going to be my next mod, I just wished it would have made it until the spring.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i have a walbro gs340 for sale it has dyno time only, i will sell it to you for 70 shipped to you. Im in kansas so it wouldnt take long to get to you. pm me if your interested
Old 01-28-2010, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the offer, but I have to get the gto kit, with the spacers, or I heard it's a pain to get it to seal.

UPDATE: got the tank out today, pulled out the sending unit and pump, and here is the plug that goes into the fuel pump. Im hoping my new walbro kit will come with a new plug. this doesn't look too good...Lol

Okay guys here's an update, got tank out just now, here is the plug that goes into the fuel pump. Im ordering the walbro lingenfelter kit tomorrow I hope it comes with a new plug.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

any idea where to get another plug at? efi connections took down there plug/pigtails for now, so Im not sure, I just atleast need the end.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:44 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The GTO connection is an odd one. Not sure who sells them locally & I do not believe GM sells fuel sender parts. The new aftermarket pump does not come with that wire either.

I suggest you start looking on ebay for a used GTO buckket.

Last edited by Lonnies Performance; 01-29-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance
The GTO connection is an odd one. Not sure who sells them locally & I do not believe GM sell fuel sender parts. The new aftermarlet pump does not come with that wire either.

I suggest you start looking on ebay for a used GTO buckket.
Well that sucks. Thanks for the help, I'll start looking.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Teamscss.com
Check your oil sending unit behind your intake manifold, on GTO's (and may be other LS cars) if pcm can't see a good sending unit it won't allow the car to start. GTO's have been known to have a bad oil psi s/u.
Does the connector that plugs into the sending unit have a green rubber seal around it? I have a 2002 Trans Am that's doing the same thing, felt behind the manifold and sure enough something behind there's not connected. I tried putting that one connector in there but it doesn't fit, can't really rotate it or see if I'm putting it in correctly
Old 04-19-2010, 11:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, that's what it was. Turns out I had a different sending unit than my harness was, that's why I couldn't connect the harness. I'm gonna replace it tomorrow and see what happens.