Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Riddle me this: 2 98' LS1 Racetronix Fuel Pump failures

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Riddle me this: 2 98' LS1 Racetronix Fuel Pump failures

Ok, im starting to get aggravated...

My 98 LS1 sat in storage for 4 years. Once I took it out of storage and replaced the battery, the stock fuel pump would not prime. So I replaced the stock pump with a 1998 Racetronix fuel pump kit. It fired right up and ran fine. So I started to inspect the rest of the car and drivetrain. I ended up doing a engine overhaul.

Now, I got the car where it's ready to run. Go to start it, fuel pump isn't priming. So I pulled the tank and upon inspection noticed the tank was bad and rusted(1998's have metal tanks). I figured that it killed the stock fuel pump and my new Racetronix fuel pump. So I replaced the tank, bought a "new" Racetronix fuel pump and it started right up! This was end of last week and ran several days just fine...over 4th of July weekend and time with family I tried to start the car tonight and guess what...the pump will not prime. Checked all relays, grounds etc and everything checks out fine that I am aware of because it ran fine few days ago.

I have just spent hundreds of dollars and am no where...The big question is why will it run fine and everything work and over the weekend it doesn't want to run??
Old 07-06-2011, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turbo
Ok, im starting to get aggravated...

My 98 LS1 sat in storage for 4 years. Once I took it out of storage and replaced the battery, the stock fuel pump would not prime. So I replaced the stock pump with a 1998 Racetronix fuel pump kit. It fired right up and ran fine. So I started to inspect the rest of the car and drivetrain. I ended up doing a engine overhaul.

Now, I got the car where it's ready to run. Go to start it, fuel pump isn't priming. So I pulled the tank and upon inspection noticed the tank was bad and rusted(1998's have metal tanks). I figured that it killed the stock fuel pump and my new Racetronix fuel pump. So I replaced the tank, bought a "new" Racetronix fuel pump and it started right up! This was end of last week and ran several days just fine...over 4th of July weekend and time with family I tried to start the car tonight and guess what...the pump will not prime. Checked all relays, grounds etc and everything checks out fine that I am aware of because it ran fine few days ago.

I have just spent hundreds of dollars and am no where...The big question is why will it run fine and everything work and over the weekend it doesn't want to run??
Double check all of your wiring. It may be a wiring issue that is causing you to lose power or ground to the pump. It may have just been a coincidence that when you installed the 2nd Racetronix pump it started working again from moving the wiring around.

Check both the power and ground going to the pump and ensure that its the pump itself that has failed. You can even take a 12 volt battery and run jumper wires to the terminals on the pump to see if it kicks on. Just make sure the pump assembly is sealed to the tank when you do that to prevent any sparks from igniting fuel vapors.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats the only thing I can think of as well. I will go over it all again and see what happens.. Thanks for the help!
Old 07-07-2011, 10:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

good luck, i dont have much to add other than my 98 racetronix pump is running flawlessly for the last two years, about 15k miles. so its definetly out of the ordinary to have so many problems. did you do the hotwire kit? i recommend it, it runs its own power to the pump and only uses the existing power wires to run a relay.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I traced all my wiring and everything looks good, so I cannot think of any reason why my pumps run and then fail!! I am going to make sure the connector is making good contacts on the sending unit tonight or tomorrow morning as well to be sure.

Racetronix does not even list a phone # to contact them!
Old 07-07-2011, 09:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo
Well, I traced all my wiring and everything looks good, so I cannot think of any reason why my pumps run and then fail!! I am going to make sure the connector is making good contacts on the sending unit tonight or tomorrow morning as well to be sure.

Racetronix does not even list a phone # to contact them!
You need to contact them via e-mail. Did you install the plug n play adaptor which plugs into the harness? You will need a digital multi meter and factory service manual to test the voltage and reference signal from the PCM back to the pump. First, make sure the connector that plugs into the body mount above the driver side axle has a positive connection and is secured properly; otherwise it can cause problems.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
You need to contact them via e-mail. Did you install the plug n play adaptor which plugs into the harness? You will need a digital multi meter and factory service manual to test the voltage and reference signal from the PCM back to the pump. First, make sure the connector that plugs into the body mount above the driver side axle has a positive connection and is secured properly; otherwise it can cause problems.
I did install the plug n play adaptor. I unplugged and inspected all connections and reinstalled them. I pulled the sending unit and unplugged and reinstalled them as well(the connectors may need a little cleaning, but nothing was out of normal where it shouldnt run, especially after already running). After doing all this still nothing! I tested my relays in my friend's car and the relays turn his pump on so I know it is not the relays under the hood. As for the relay from Racetronix I do not know. I will not get a volt meter until Monday to check the wiring.

Thanks again guys, any more feedback would be beneficial and thankful!
Old 07-08-2011, 10:11 AM
10 Second Club

did you do the hotwire kit to the atlternator that is included with the racetronix setup???
Old 07-08-2011, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes I did, and the fuse for that is good as well.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:59 PM
10 Second Club

Remove the Racetronix pnp harness and see if that helps. When you get the multi meter start at the body mount connector located over the rear axle. If there is no signal, then there's a problem with the wiring between the PCM and connector. If there is a signal, then the problem is forward (or actually rear) of the connector. Check the terminals for signs of arcing and check the signal from the connector to the fuel tank. Also check the 12v wire as well.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Will do, I will report what I find. Thanks!
Old 07-11-2011, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Update,

I pulled the pump and inspected everything, disconnected the wiring and cleaned the prongs, etc. Still no pump! I should have the volt meter late this afternoon and see what I come up with next.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

I'm very interested in hearing what the issue is. I had an S-10 that done the same thing. I went through 3 factory pumps before I just got pissed and sold the truck. I told the buyer about the issue and gave him the receipt to get a new pump.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry, I forgot to update.

I inspected the factory and Racetronix wiring for the 10th time(no joke), pulled the pump for the 10th time and everything checked good. I believe it's something to do with the Racetronix plug-n-play wiring or relay, because all my relays and fuses are good and I was getting 12v up and to the Racetronix relay. After thoroughly inspecting the Racetronix wiring and inspecting that all was good, because I found nothing wrong with the wiring per the instructions, it started to run...

Also, I am not impressed with Racetronix customer service! Anytime you spend money like that you should get telephone/voice communication. They do not list a number to call them so you have to email them. Then they email you a link to join their forum. Then you are expected to read up on all the problems posted and some of them do not have solutions either. So I posted my problem and what I get back is "Racetronix relay failures are very rare. It is most likely you have a problem with the factory wiring." Well, factory wiring was good, it wasn't till after inspecting the Racetronix wiring for the 10th time with no signs of problems that it ran.

Sorry, wish I had a more definite answer to the problem, but I don't and am still confused by it.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Power the pump manually and see if it turns on. If it doesn't then you have a bad pump. Case closed, end of story, move on. . .
Old 07-17-2011, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Power the pump manually and see if it turns on. If it doesn't then you have a bad pump. Case closed, end of story, move on. . .
Wow, really? Obviously you did not read the thread or at least the last post. The pump works, it's something to do with the racetronix wiring or relay...that is what were trying to figure out.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Any update? My cars doing the same.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Talking A tad bit late???

Originally Posted by nascarnate326
any update? My cars doing the same.
07-17-2011, 06:41 pm
Old 04-23-2014, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
07-17-2011, 06:41 pm
doesn't matter, he's a ten year member.

@turbo little help?
Old 04-24-2014, 06:37 PM
10 Second Club

I had issues with my racetronix fuel pump a few months ago. wound up buying a new Racetronix pump and everything was fine for a while. Then, randomly started having fuel pump energizing problems again. Upon further inspection I found that the Racetronix hotwire relay socket had some burnt spots on a couple of prongs causing intermittent problems with the pump powering up. I bypassed the hotwire kit and everything has been fine since.

Don't know if that helps anyone, but its worth inspecting if you are having issues and have the hotwire kit installed.

Quick Reply: Riddle me this: 2 98' LS1 Racetronix Fuel Pump failures