Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

CAN i swap my LS1 fuel presure regulator over to my LS6 FUEL RAILS ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAN i swap my LS1 fuel presure regulator over to my LS6 FUEL RAILS ?

I recently bought a LS6 INTAKE with rails and injectors but it didn't come with the regulator on it, guy took it off and used it ...can I swap the one off my LS1 fuel rail and use that ?
Old 05-24-2013, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nobody knows ????
Old 05-24-2013, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is no regulator on the ls1 rail, its a damper.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jrpimp00
There is no regulator on the ls1 rail, its a damper.
Exactly right! OP it's in the fuel tank along with the bucket and all that
Old 05-24-2013, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Exactly right! OP it's in the fuel tank along with the bucket and all that
oh ok..didn't know that .. then can I transfer the ls1 fuel rails to the ls6 intake ?
Old 05-24-2013, 02:47 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dickie-311
oh ok..didn't know that .. then can I transfer the ls1 fuel rails to the ls6 intake ?
When I swapped over to my LS6 intake I re-used my old fuel rails and injectors without any issues.

Once I went Turbo I bought aftermarket fuel rails eliminated the in tank fuel pressure regulator and installed an external fuel pressure regulator that's boost referenced.

You'll have no issue re-using the parts. Hell I still have that old intake and fuel rail in my parts bin in the attic of my garage....LOL...
Old 05-30-2013, 12:43 PM
Teching In

Hey. Sorry for jumping on but have similar question. I also thought the LS-1 rail contained a regulator. I see references to the LS-1 regulator "on the rail" on occassion. I'm installing an aftermarket tank into 64 Malibu. Can i assume the new tank/pump has a regulator (as you said) or is that only for a stock tank. Also, the pump has a return nozzle. The LS-1 rail does not have a fuel return. Can i simply plug the return nozzle at the tank? Thanks a lot.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:05 PM
9 Second Club

What I think is causing the confusion is the round cylinder that is attached to the crossover tube. This is called the accumulator. What I believe it does is to dampen the backwash of the injectors opening and closing between the left and right bank of the fuel rail. When an injector is quickly opened and then closed you can get an internal wave of pressure to feedback to another injector which can potentially cause a pressure spike. At least that's the theory. My guess is that it helps with passing emissions since if you spike a little more pressure to an opening injector you'll add a slight bit of more fuel and therefore run a tiny bit rich. Probably only really helps during cruising at a constant speed. Here's a picture:
Old 05-30-2013, 02:19 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by mbobek88
Hey. Sorry for jumping on but have similar question. I also thought the LS-1 rail contained a regulator. I see references to the LS-1 regulator "on the rail" on occassion. I'm installing an aftermarket tank into 64 Malibu. Can i assume the new tank/pump has a regulator (as you said) or is that only for a stock tank. Also, the pump has a return nozzle. The LS-1 rail does not have a fuel return. Can i simply plug the return nozzle at the tank? Thanks a lot.
Most aftermarket tanks make use of a supply and a separate return. You need to make sure you're using a tank and pump that is intended to be used for a late model GM returnless fuel system. Or you can do what all us racers do and simply go old school and add an external regulator and set it to 58PSI. If you're going to use the stock fuel rail you'll need place the regulator before the fuel rail and plumb a return line.

I hope this makes sense.
Here's a link that might help you to understand what you need to do:
http://vetteworksonline.net/ls1_conversion_fuel.htm

Quick Reply: CAN i swap my LS1 fuel presure regulator over to my LS6 FUEL RAILS ?