Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

fuel pump issue...again

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 06:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fuel pump issue...again

i bought my car almost 5 years ago with 70k miles, 2 months later fuel pump died. so i bought complete assembly from delphi that lasted me 2 years and pump died again along with the sending unit. i took it out, fixed the sending unit and dropped in a 255lph TRE fuel pump on feb last year and today pump died again...i am really annoyed..what should i try next? i heard racetronix is good? but am also buying a sending unit this will probably cost near 1k anyone knows a brand that can last longer? car is 98 and the damn metal assembly is horrible!
Old 08-28-2014, 03:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn do the TREperformance pumps go out that easily? I just installed one in my 99 bird last week with H/C/I.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:19 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
i bought my car almost 5 years ago with 70k miles, 2 months later fuel pump died. so i bought complete assembly from delphi that lasted me 2 years and pump died again along with the sending unit. i took it out, fixed the sending unit and dropped in a 255lph TRE fuel pump on feb last year and today pump died again...i am really annoyed..what should i try next? i heard racetronix is good? but am also buying a sending unit this will probably cost near 1k anyone knows a brand that can last longer? car is 98 and the damn metal assembly is horrible!
You have something else going on. No way they should die that fast. My 99 Camaro went to almost 130k before the original pump died. My 99 T/A was still working fine at 80k with the original pump. I will admit that my 2000 T/A's died at 50k, just before I bought it, but I'll bet the previous owner never changed the fuel filter for those 50k miles either...
Old 08-29-2014, 08:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Gotit4cheap16
Damn do the TREperformance pumps go out that easily? I just installed one in my 99 bird last week with H/C/I.
well it functioned well but apparently it isnt any better. it lasted exactly 1 year and 6 months. luckily i had an angle grinder and i made the trap door. make sure you never have gas below 1/4 tank. those things overheat and wear fast.

Originally Posted by big_g
You have something else going on. No way they should die that fast. My 99 Camaro went to almost 130k before the original pump died. My 99 T/A was still working fine at 80k with the original pump. I will admit that my 2000 T/A's died at 50k, just before I bought it, but I'll bet the previous owner never changed the fuel filter for those 50k miles either...
like? everything looked absolutely fine. car has the mods in sig and now hitting 160K mark.

i had this happen with my old 3.8 and my friend's old LT1 numerous times. am probably going with an oem delphi replacement.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:06 PM
Launching!

well it functioned well but apparently it isnt any better. it lasted exactly 1 year and 6 months. luckily i had an angle grinder and i made the trap door. make sure you never have gas below 1/4 tank. those things overheat and wear fast.

like? everything looked absolutely fine. car has the mods in sig and now hitting 160K mark.

i had this happen with my old 3.8 and my friend's old LT1 numerous times. am probably going with an oem delphi replacement.
I don't know man. When's the last time you changed your fuel filter? Maybe you just have bad gas there.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

how many times have you run the tank low?? being as its a 98 with no fuel bucket that holds fuel in it to keep the pump wet, you may be killing them by running low on gas alot...

just a theory
Old 08-30-2014, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

I don't know man. When's the last time you changed your fuel filter? Maybe you just have bad gas there.
believe me am so paranoid ive literally changed them twice just to prevent a failure lol and speaking of gas..i live in Dubai and they sell one of the highest quality fuel worldwide so that's highly unlikely.

Originally Posted by Majestic9C1
how many times have you run the tank low?? being as its a 98 with no fuel bucket that holds fuel in it to keep the pump wet, you may be killing them by running low on gas alot...

just a theory
actually this isnt a theory this is the reason probably. 98's assembly is CRAP. not only it has no bucket but that floater is so delicate it could break to the touch..I've always tried to stay above 1/4 tank but I think I've had it go bellow 1/4 many times. i just paid for a delphi oem unit lets just hope this one survives.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

how feasible would it be to swap to a newer plastic tank with new sending unit??
Old 08-31-2014, 07:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Majestic9C1
how feasible would it be to swap to a newer plastic tank with new sending unit??
different gas tank, fuel lines and a different assembly. i dont think its even worth it. on the other hand, a good bucket design for the same assembly would be interesting. its very doable but am not really into going through the headache..
Old 08-31-2014, 03:30 PM
Launching!

different gas tank, fuel lines and a different assembly. i dont think its even worth it. on the other hand, a good bucket design for the same assembly would be interesting. its very doable but am not really into going through the headache..
Yep. Seems much easier to just not run the tank dry with the new unit installed.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:06 AM
TECH Addict

Yep. Seems much easier to just not run the tank dry with the new unit installed.
yep. looks like am going with racetronix this time. we'll see.

Quick Reply: fuel pump issue...again