Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Racetronics Fuel Pump Leaking Down. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 10:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racetronics Fuel Pump Leaking Down. HELP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, so I put a Racetronics pump in my car the other night, and I'm having an issue with start-ups. After the car sits for more than about 20 minutes, it takes about 5-10 seconds with the starter going before the car will crank. It's like it's losing pressure at the fuel rail the longer it sits. Once it cranks, I can cut it off and it'll crank right back up.

I know there is a check valve built into the pump that could technically be bad causing the lines to loose pressure while it's not running. I would think, though, if I let it prime before I turn the key all the way over, it would pressurize the lines again enough to start. If I prime it three times or so it seems to start a little quicker.

Any idea what else might be causing it to do this? I might pull the sending unit back out of the tank tonight to see if the plastic hose going from the pump up to the top of the sending unit may have a hole in it or something. I know the hose is clamped tight on both ends.

I just don't want my starter to wear out with me having to crank on it so much to get the car started. A quick google search will show similar issues with Racetronics pumps in these cars, but Racetronics doesn't even provide a phone number to contact them on their site. I don't believe it is the regulator or anything else because the stock pump was doing just fine holding pressure at start-up.

Any ideas?
Old 09-12-2014, 05:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Got it fixed last night. The bendy straw plastic hose that is sent with the pump had a hole in it somewhere causing the lines to leak down. I replaced it with some submersible fuel injection rubber hose with two worm clamps and the issue is gone.

As many people as I see online having issues with that hose, I would recommend people just go ahead and swap it out before they install their racetronics pump to be on the safe side.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

these are the correct OEM nylon tubes.
http://www.racetronix.biz/items.asp?...atus=0&Tp=&Bc=
Old 09-12-2014, 08:53 AM
On The Tree

I am hoping that's my problem am well, I'm just too lazy to pull the pump assy out lol! I have been cycling the key and priming the pump. Glad you got it fixed. Where did you get the submersible hose?
Old 12-17-2014, 06:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry I never responded back to this. I got the hose at Napa.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any idea how the hose got a hole in it? Do you think it was shipped like that or it happened during the install? I checked mine over real good before installing it and had no issues with the new hose they supply in the fuel pump kit. This kind of issue is exactly why I chose the trap door method of installing the pump.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:11 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did my pump, my flex hose had plastic trimmings in it. Glad I looked it all over closely b4 install! Company's nowadays just don't give a **** about anything but $$$
Old 12-29-2014, 05:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
Any idea how the hose got a hole in it? Do you think it was shipped like that or it happened during the install? I checked mine over real good before installing it and had no issues with the new hose they supply in the fuel pump kit. This kind of issue is exactly why I chose the trap door method of installing the pump.
I'm not sure to be honest. It may have had a hole already in it, or it could have been from crimping it at the top. Who knows. I'm definitely glad I did the trap door though!

Quick Reply: Racetronics Fuel Pump Leaking Down. HELP