Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

fluid dynamics experts please chime in

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default fluid dynamics experts please chime in

There is nothing but confusion on this topic so please clear it up for everyone.

Bends aside, will one length of line of about 40 centimeters at 5/16" diameter, out of about 400 centimeters of line at 3/8" diameter still ONLY LIMIT maximum flow to the fuel rail to as much as can flow through the 5/16" section?

I'm using small line as an example but basically does the restriction along the line limit the total flow or does more of the fatter diameter line alleviate some of the restriction of flow that the small line created?

This stems from fuel pump outlets of 5/16" but people using -8AN and -10AN lines after this tiny point.

Last edited by foxsl; 11-26-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I see how the strain on the pump is lessened with larger line but wouldn't a change too drastic in diameter from one size along the line cause a pressure drop as you have that much more line volume to fill?
Old 11-26-2014, 09:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The flow capacity of a line is not based on 1 limiting restriction, but the sum total of all restrictions in the system. A given line size will produce a certain pressure drop per length of line.

That is why an intank pump will flow 255lph of fuel thorough an opening less than 1/4" in dia, but your car would not have enough flow at the engine if you used a 1/4" fuel line. 1 inch of restrictive length at the pump outlet is proportional to the 150 inches of line to the front of the car.

It is all based on frictional losses. The higher velocity created by a smaller line will have more pressure drop than a larger line.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you, now we are getting somewhere.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance
The flow capacity of a line is not based on 1 limiting restriction, but the sum total of all restrictions in the system. A given line size will produce a certain pressure drop per length of line.

That is why an intank pump will flow 255lph of fuel thorough an opening less than 1/4" in dia, but your car would not have enough flow at the engine if you used a 1/4" fuel line. 1 inch of restrictive length at the pump outlet is proportional to the 150 inches of line to the front of the car.

It is all based on frictional losses. The higher velocity created by a smaller line will have more pressure drop than a larger line.
So if you are working on a foxbody with a 5/16" feed and 1/4" return coming out of the fuel tank hat.....and from the tank hat feed line to the fuel rail you have -8AN line and from the rail to the return on the hat you have -6AN line, are you going to have major issues or will you still see over 80% of the advantage of using the larger line over a greater distance because there is only one point of restriction per line?

Last edited by foxsl; 11-26-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by foxsl
So if you are working on a foxbody with a 5/16" feed and 1/4" return coming out of the fuel tank hat.....and from the tank hat feed line to the fuel rail you have -8AN line and from the rail to the return on the hat you have -6AN line, are you going to have major issues or will you still see over 80% of the advantage of using the larger line over a greater distance because there is only one point of restriction per line?
I would not worry about a short 5/16" section at the tank.
My biggest worry is the 1/4" return. I have seen many cars have high idle pressures due to a restrictive return. You should upgrade this if possible with -6 back to the tank.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance
I would not worry about a short 5/16" section at the tank.
My biggest worry is the 1/4" return. I have seen many cars have high idle pressures due to a restrictive return. You should upgrade this if possible with -6 back to the tank.
Yes definitely before I see any boost I will modify both my tank hat lines to -6AN inside and out. That way the tiny line will be out of the equation if any troubleshooting is needed. Thanks again
Old 11-29-2014, 09:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check my photobucket, I modified the stock sender assembly to accept 3/8 steel line, now its a -6....
Old 11-29-2014, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zipster
Check my photobucket, I modified the stock sender assembly to accept 3/8 steel line, now its a -6....
definitely the same thing I will be doing thanks for the link

Quick Reply: fluid dynamics experts please chime in