Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Bosch 044 pre filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts
Default Bosch 044 pre filter

I'm going to be running dual 044s on E85. Does anyone pre filter these pumps? I know they have a screen, so I was thinking of just post filtering. Let me know if you do and what filter you use. Thanks
Old 06-04-2015, 07:16 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

No idea about the E85 aspect, but I just use a Holley 40 micron in front of mine.

As it's gravity fed, always go big in terms of flow/filtration ability, some guys put really shitty tiny filters intended for carb applications in front of efi pumps.
Never a good idea.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't like my pic? Haha
XRP 120 micron screws right into the 044

Last edited by LT1PWRD; 06-05-2015 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:26 AM
9 Second Club

Yep, I definitely would not use a filter that small in front of such a pump.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:48 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Yep, I definitely would not use a filter that small in front of such a pump.
Really? That could cause a restriction? Do the OE apps that use these use a pre filter?
Old 06-05-2015, 12:32 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by LT1PWRD
Really? That could cause a restriction? Do the OE apps that use these use a pre filter?
Most OEM's will have a large sock type arrangement in tank, or large gauze. Similar to what you would see on the bottom of an internal pump

Whether it will cause a restriction or not is harder to say, depends how large it is internally.

But EFI's setups continually flow huge amounts of fuel regardless of what the engine is using and on the inlet side there is no assistance helping the fuel through. EFI pumps do not suck very well, so you're reliant on gravity.

If the filter was on the high pressure side, it would have the benefit of fuel being forced through.

But I've seen people use the smaller Earls filters that are intended for a carb application, ( ie with only the fuel the engine uses passing the filter ) as pre-filters for efi pumps and they seem to get away with it. They're about half the size of yours

I would never do it though. IMO there are no downsides to using a big filter, and the Holley/Aeromotive are a decent size.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:06 PM
10 Second Club

Good info. I have a cavitation issue,and my 044 being about 4" above the sump in my tank is probably the reason. Were the 044's in all the European apps gravity fed?
Do the euro apps use a "sock" filter or do they just rely on the plastic inlet screen that is just inside the inlet of the 044?
Old 06-09-2015, 04:05 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by LT1PWRD
Good info. I have a cavitation issue,and my 044 being about 4" above the sump in my tank is probably the reason. Were the 044's in all the European apps gravity fed?
Do the euro apps use a "sock" filter or do they just rely on the plastic inlet screen that is just inside the inlet of the 044?
EFI pumps like that would, and should always have a good gravity feed. They should never be higher than the level of fuel in the tank.

And any OEM EFI tanks I've seen that use an external pump, all have an internal collector of some sort, and the feed pipe would have a gauze type filter over the end.

A little like the strainer on an oil pickup, but obviously much much finer.

google can provide some images...clearly this guys tank has severe problems lol

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c1...k-insides.html

Fuel is drained from the centre of the collector and you can see the gauze filter, and the other smaller pipe on the outside is the fuel return, fuel is returned to the same collector.

Quick Reply: Bosch 044 pre filter