Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel Pump Whine

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Fuel Pump Whine

On my 98 my fuel pump will start to whine after driving over an hour and a half. I rarely if ever take my car out of town or drive that long nonstop so its not something I hear to often. Today I was driving around/racing for about 2hrs and by the time I was headed home it was loud as hell, first time its done it since last summer. If i swerve the car side to side it goes away for a second. odd. I figure it has to do with heat or run time, is this normal? No present fueling problems.

Basically it'll sound like a Gen I vortec pump x2
Old 04-04-2005, 11:46 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokingWS6
On my 98 my fuel pump will start to whine after driving over an hour and a half. I rarely if ever take my car out of town or drive that long nonstop so its not something I hear to often. Today I was driving around/racing for about 2hrs and by the time I was headed home it was loud as hell, first time its done it since last summer. If i swerve the car side to side it goes away for a second. odd. I figure it has to do with heat or run time, is this normal? No present fueling problems.

Basically it'll sound like a Gen I vortec pump x2

It very well might be on it's last leg. I had an original go out on an 00 malibu and before it finally left me stranded @ work (thank god it would start and it didn't quit on me on I-95 or something) but it would whine pretty good too. Just make sure you are close to home, have AAA or a good towing service. Fortunately I was located right next to a chevy dealer and was able to push it there. Woulda cost me the same amount if I had had it towed the 54 miles home, spent the time and money to drop the tank myself and put in a new pump. Plus not totally knowing what was wrong with it.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Who knows Only 40k miles. Tons of on/off cycling at the track though, might be showing some wear.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hope it won't crap out if I take any trips this summer.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

working at a chevy dealership i've see a lot of pumps go out under 50k. mostly on the full size trucks and such, but a few cars too.

change your fuel filter, might not do it, but who knows, needs done anyways.

on the other hand i've seen loud pumps go for ever. usually they wont quit you going down the road, the just wont start up one morning.

sometimes a good thump on the gas tank with a rubber hammer will get it going if you are ever left stranded.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:26 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by busta9876
working at a chevy dealership i've see a lot of pumps go out under 50k. mostly on the full size trucks and such, but a few cars too.

change your fuel filter, might not do it, but who knows, needs done anyways.

on the other hand i've seen loud pumps go for ever. usually they wont quit you going down the road, the just wont start up one morning.

sometimes a good thump on the gas tank with a rubber hammer will get it going if you are ever left stranded.

Yep! Though this one had 98K on it. Tried tapping the tank with something hard, didn't work. Luckly, like I said, there is a chevy dealer, litterially right across the street from my office.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:03 PM
10 Second Club

Mine did that only when it was real hot outside, but it never died on me.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

It sounds like it's just getting hot (partly due to it starting to go out). Your fuel level is getting lower than the body of the pump itself, and when you swerve around (as you probably know, since you start swerving), it cools the pump off a little.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:00 PM
I ruin the end of films...

My inline pump used to do the same w/ the Procharger on it. The pump died a few weeks later. I had a big problem of the fuel being heated up after passing through the rails and coming back to the tank.

The Weldon 2035 on the car now whines all the time and is very annoying. It's worse than my ex-girlfriend.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Whine