Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Uhh... I killed my fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Uhh... I killed my fuel pump?

Yea.... i left work, went to get gas (was on E),found i left my wallet at work (first time for everything i guess ) started heading back to work got about 1 mile away sitting at a red light and my car just went nuts sputtering.. luckly i was next to the mall and pulled in and parked... walked back to work at 9PM (ugh) borrowed a buddy's car that i work with.. went to my house.. got the can of gasoline and filled up the car with a gallon or so.. still didnt start at this time my buddy was leaving so i called him as my cell was dieing saying come back it wont ******* run!... i figured out that the fuel pump wasnt priming when i turned the key.. great my pump is fucked ... had it towed @ 11PM last night... mechanic is looking at it monday. oh well only had the car for a month and a half just my luck for the pump to go
Old 08-21-2005, 12:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you run the tank dry, regardless if the car has 10 miles or 100,000 your chances of needing a new fuelpump are good.

I always fillup at 1/8 to 1/4 tank for this reason.

Ryan
Old 08-21-2005, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats the thing it wasnt bone dry there was still fuel in the tank when i put some in not having a car sucks
Old 08-21-2005, 05:46 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camaroz
Yea.... i left work, went to get gas (was on E),found i left my wallet at work (first time for everything i guess ) started heading back to work got about 1 mile away sitting at a red light and my car just went nuts sputtering.. luckly i was next to the mall and pulled in and parked... walked back to work at 9PM (ugh) borrowed a buddy's car that i work with.. went to my house.. got the can of gasoline and filled up the car with a gallon or so.. still didnt start at this time my buddy was leaving so i called him as my cell was dieing saying come back it wont ******* run!... i figured out that the fuel pump wasnt priming when i turned the key.. great my pump is fucked ... had it towed @ 11PM last night... mechanic is looking at it monday. oh well only had the car for a month and a half just my luck for the pump to go
Since your in there replace it with a walbro 255. You wont regret it.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did the same thing to 2 new walbros 255's(dual intank setup). I didn't even have a mile on them. Live and learn...
Old 08-21-2005, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
Since your in there replace it with a walbro 255. You wont regret it.
I wish im basically broke.. my father is lending me the $$ to replace it and i'll pay him back some day BTW does anyone know the price for a stock replacement pump so i can get a ballpark figure on how much its going to cost since i dont have to pay labor (father did a loan for the mechanic) free labor pwns thats about it
Old 08-21-2005, 09:40 PM
9 Second Club

I wish im basically broke.. my father is lending me the $$ to replace it and i'll pay him back some day BTW does anyone know the price for a stock replacement pump so i can get a ballpark figure on how much its going to cost since i dont have to pay labor (father did a loan for the mechanic) free labor pwns thats about it
The stock pump will end up costing more than the walbro. A walbro will cost you about $130 to your door.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
The stock pump will end up costing more than the walbro. A walbro will cost you about $130 to your door.
Alright that doesnt make sense.. will the Walbro just drop in like the stock pump? cause i might do that if the stocker is going to cost more than a better aftermarket pump how are the Walbros reliability wise? Also does anyone have a price on a stocker since its going to cost more?
Old 08-21-2005, 11:23 PM
FormerVendor

No, the Walbro is not a "direct" fit. You will have to modify the stock fuel bucket and loose some functionally of the fuel system. Do a search on here, there are a few threads on this topic. They will give you the pluses and minuses. The Racetronix kit is "plug and play" with the factory fuel bucket.

Matt

Alright that doesnt make sense.. will the Walbro just drop in like the stock pump? cause i might do that if the stocker is going to cost more than a better aftermarket pump how are the Walbros reliability wise? Also does anyone have a price on a stocker since its going to cost more?
Old 08-22-2005, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Talked to the mechanic and he says the fuse is blown but thats usually normal with fried pumps..
Old 08-22-2005, 06:36 PM
9 Second Club

The racetronix kit is nice. But way too expensive!
Old 08-22-2005, 08:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's probaly cheaper than a stock pump

I could buy 2 racetronix pumps and wiring hanresses, for what I got paid to buy a stock replacement pump assembly

Ryan
Old 08-22-2005, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have stock pump used for $25 shipped.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HellRaiser
I have stock pump used for $25 shipped.
What sort of condition? and when could you ship it.. i still dont know if its the pump..
Old 08-23-2005, 05:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

It has 66k miles on it. I have it out right now because I went with a dual walbro setup. Stock fuel pump won't work to well with 500+hp

If you ran out of gas then my guess its your pump.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HellRaiser
If you ran out of gas then my guess its your pump.
Yea... Everyone wants to wait on the mechanics word though Any chance you can ship it today? do you have Paypal?
Old 08-23-2005, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

What the hell my Mechanic is now saying using used fuel pumps isnt smart something like they dry out and dont work good anymore.. is this true? BTW it is the fuel pump and they want 600$ for a new pump ******* highway robbery!!
Old 08-23-2005, 12:13 PM
9 Second Club

What the hell my Mechanic is now saying using used fuel pumps isnt smart something like they dry out and dont work good anymore.. is this true? BTW it is the fuel pump and they want 600$ for a new pump ******* highway robbery!!
Look I told you what to get. Here is the pics. Its simple to mod it to get it to work. And its not even close to $600. I am doing my own dual setup like hellraiser. I have two stock fuel pumps sitting here. But I wouldnt seell them because there used. You dont want to go cheap on a part that needs to be reliable.
Attached Thumbnails Uhh... I killed my fuel pump?-hpim0342.jpg   Uhh... I killed my fuel pump?-hpim0341.jpg  
Old 08-23-2005, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dont tell me the pump mfg's dont have some sort of overheat/low fuel cutoff functionality in their pumps, running out of gas should not fry the pump, thats just silly
Old 08-23-2005, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Steel chicken I did it to 2 new walbro's. I had about a mile on them.

camaroz its up to you. I do take paypal. I wouldn't pay 600 for a stock setup.
theres alot of members where your from on the eastern board here. Maybe one of them can hook you up.

They want 600 for a stock pump and replacment, I payed a little more then that for a dual walbro,-8 stainless steel line,filter,rails, and fuel pressure reg with all the fittings.
Thats crazy RAPE. You should ask them if it comes with a tube of KY jelly.