Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

what size injectors with mods

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question what size injectors with mods

I have an 02 camaro with ls6 heads some port work, 221/221 .558 cam, headers, ls1 edit, ported throttle body, kn filter kit, no cats, flowmaster exhaust, dr. evil trans w/ 3200 vigilante converter, what injector do i need i think stock ones are 28lbs?
Old 11-06-2005, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by aux_fast_cam
I have an 02 camaro with ls6 heads some port work, 221/221 .558 cam, headers, ls1 edit, ported throttle body, kn filter kit, no cats, flowmaster exhaust, dr. evil trans w/ 3200 vigilante converter, what injector do i need i think stock ones are 28lbs?

I bet you could run on stock ones. If not 30 would be more then enough.

Didn't the tuner know from ls1 edit know if you needed bigger injectors?
Old 11-06-2005, 12:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

stockers are fine to 450rwhp if pressure at rail is adequate. (58 psi)
Old 11-06-2005, 01:14 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jermzz
I bet you could run on stock ones. If not 30 would be more then enough.

Didn't the tuner know from ls1 edit know if you needed bigger injectors?

I've got it installed on my pc, just didn't know how much stock injectors were good for.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

On F-bodies the FPR (fuel pressure regulator) is in the back by the tank.

A common misconception is that during dyno tuning, poeple see that injectors are close to max cycle. So they automaticaly assume they need bigger injectors.
Something often overlooked is to check fuel pressure at rail with a guage during WOT dyno runs. If they did so, they would notice that injectors seem maxed out but that is because the pressure is not at it's optimum 58 psi.

The cure for that is a FPR at the rail to adjust pressure to 58 psi @ WOT, therefore allowing the injectors more fuel to reach their true capacity.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

well put. but with my cam and bolt on's we ran into the same problem and instead of putting a FPR up front, I was told by the shop doing all of the work that it needed bigger injectors. but now I do have a FPR up front and never have to worry
Old 11-06-2005, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

This implies the need to upgrade your fuel pump at even moderate hp levels, correct?

Is the in-tank regulator disabled/eliminated in this arrangement?

Isn't the LS1 F-body fuel system returnless? If so, how do you integrate a regulator at the fuel rail; convert to a return type fuel system and regulate that side? Would you use the evap line for return, or original fuel for return and run a new pressure line?

I'm finessing out my fuel system readying for the install of a lunati 383, fwiw.

tia,
Tony
Old 11-07-2005, 08:13 AM
FormerVendor

If running a FRM FPR then yes, the stock in-tank regulator is eliminated. The F-Body fuel system is "return less" as the return to the tank happens back in the T fitting. There are a few options for the FRM FPR. One would be to run a return line back to the T fitting. Another would be to use the vapor line as the return and do a little plumbing back at the T to tie it all together.

Matt

Originally Posted by Tony99SS
This implies the need to upgrade your fuel pump at even moderate hp levels, correct?

Is the in-tank regulator disabled/eliminated in this arrangement?

Isn't the LS1 F-body fuel system returnless? If so, how do you integrate a regulator at the fuel rail; convert to a return type fuel system and regulate that side? Would you use the evap line for return, or original fuel for return and run a new pressure line?

I'm finessing out my fuel system readying for the install of a lunati 383, fwiw.

tia,
Tony