Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

5.7 Fuel Pieces Work On 5.3??

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 04:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.7 Fuel Pieces Work On 5.3??

Hello all
Gathering info and options on a conversion. Going to go for a 5.3 engine with a 6 speed. The 5.3 as you know has the big (tall) truck intake on it. Some say I might like it, some say no. It actually might be a clearance problem in my application (S10).

I know a LS1 intake and throttle body will bolt on, however........which fuel rails and injectors do we use? If I do a LS1 intake, do we keep the 5.3 fuel rails and injectors........will they fit the LS1 intake? Other concern is as new as the engine will be, it will have the drive by wire. I do not want this. Is it as simple as swapping it out for the throttle cabled type set up and disable that portion in the ECM?

Also have a question for the seasoned folks out there. Will the 5.3 like the LS1 intake and throttle body and how much of a retune will be required.......if any? Thanks in advanced and look forward to some replies. Everyone has been very helpful around on the board here since I've joined. Thanks!!!
Old 12-10-2005, 01:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure on the TB, but I think you can just put a mechanical Tb on it and be good. As far as the 2 different manifolds, they use 2 different injectors. The LS1 manifolds use the standard Bosch injectors that are easy to get in most any size. The truck manifold uses a GM Multi Tech 2 type injector which is shorter and uses a different plug. You can only get up to about a 42 lbs/hr injector that's a direct replacement for them, but you can install standard Bosch injectors buy spacing up the fuel rails and changing the injectors plugs.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:49 PM
Teching In

Hmmmmm, would it just be easier to grab an LS1 intake, throttle body, fuel rails and injectors? I dunno what lbs/hr rating the 5.3 injectors are though. From what it sounds like, guess I could do an LS1 intake with LS1 fuel rails then get the appropriate injectors for those rails/intake. We shall see. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:04 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What are you doing for an accessory drive? I am not sure if the truck drive will clear the LS1 intake. I think that the idler near the alternator will compete for space with the TB, I thought that I had read that in a post somewhere on this site. In the same post someone said that you could make it fit by relocating the idler with a bracket and then cutting off part of the factory bracket. You may want to really look closely at how the truck intake will fit, the truck intake cleared my stock flat hood on my El Camino. After I removed the dress cover on the top of the intake the alternator was actually slightly higher than the intake. The only other thing I had to move was the charcoal canister purge valve, I remote mounted it and then the intake cleared just fine.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:58 AM
Teching In

Eh, just gathering info for the future. Plan is to just install the engine in stock form except for headers, good exhaust system and air intake set up. With that I can debug it and see if it is worth swapping intakes and such. Out of the box with a good exhaust, air intake system and a good tune, these little engines should be more than enough for a little S10. Figure they are 300hp in stock form, exhaust and air intake probably yields another 10-15hp. Enough to cause trouble for the back tires
Appreciate the info and experiences on this subject. Making this whole idea/plan much easier to understands. We're going to try the truck accessory pieces and see how tight everything is first. If too tight, we'll go to the Vette alternator/power steering bracketry. A/C will be relocated with the Street and Performance goodies.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Stock truck injector are 25.4 lbs/hr. I'm running the 42 lbs'er in my truck with the turbo and there good for about 550 FWHP or so depending on where you NA or boosted.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

www.geocities.com/jays_s10/ls1swap.html that is my site and I have some info reguarding the LS1 swap in my truck. This will give you an idea of what you are looking at.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by kossuth
www.geocities.com/jays_s10/ls1swap.html that is my site and I have some info reguarding the LS1 swap in my truck. This will give you an idea of what you are looking at.
what mounts did you use and what did you use for the crossmember for the t56?clutch?