Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Well, don't bother running dual walbros with vette return rails

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 11:14 PM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

Default Well, don't bother running dual walbros with vette return rails

Unless you put the 2nd pump on a pressure sensitive switch. I setup my dual walbro 255s tonight in tank with my 97 vette rails with return. The fuel pressure wouldn't go below 58 even with the reference on at idle. If you run dual pumps intank with this setup beware that the regulator/rails will not be able to pass that much fuel and drop the pressure down accurately. You will have to have the 2nd pump on a pressure sensitive switch so there isn't so much flow out of boost. Time to just gut the whole project and step up to a fully aftermarket setup. I can post some pictures if people want to see how I did it. I used a short polypropelene y fitting and cut the bucket to **** to get it all to fit. It looked decent, until I started it up.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:02 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NicD, give me a call, maybe I can help, I have a couple ideas about this 586 790 4406
Mike
Old 12-21-2005, 09:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just run normal rails and a aftermarket regulator.
OR
swap to aftermarket rails.

97 vette rails suck. the fuel connections are always in the way.. the only reason to swap to factory "return rails" is ignorance... no offence, it just bugs me that i see lots of people doing conversions spend huge money to swap to these rails.. for no reason.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:58 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
97 vette rails suck. the fuel connections are always in the way.. the only reason to swap to factory "return rails" is ignorance... no offence, it just bugs me that i see lots of people doing conversions spend huge money to swap to these rails.. for no reason.
Actually, it is nice and cheap and with a boost a pump can run up to 750 rwhp reliably with a reference. I wanted to see if dual walbros would work instead of a boost a pump and they don't. I don't know where you come from or what you are used to working on but I wouldn't call $250 for rails, boost ref regulator, and hard lines huge money.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NicD
Actually, it is nice and cheap and with a boost a pump can run up to 750 rwhp reliably with a reference. I wanted to see if dual walbros would work instead of a boost a pump and they don't. I don't know where you come from or what you are used to working on but I wouldn't call $250 for rails, boost ref regulator, and hard lines huge money.
i come from the land of small block chevys.

$250 for rails and regulator is alot of money if you dont need new rails.... i was refering more to the conversion guys who get suckered into the S&P crap.

for us turbo guys, i would either keep the stocker, with a aftermarket regulator, or ditch it all and run aftermarket rails.

either way, i wouldnt want to run a boost-a-pump... external pumps suck.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:47 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
$250 for rails and regulator is alot of money if you dont need new rails.... i was refering more to the conversion guys who get suckered into the S&P crap.

for us turbo guys, i would either keep the stocker, with a aftermarket regulator, or ditch it all and run aftermarket rails.

either way, i wouldnt want to run a boost-a-pump... external pumps suck.
Either way, $250 is cheap for a factory return style setup and it works very well.

I don't know where you got the idea that a boost a pump is an external pump. External pumps are great, and about the only way to go on a nice aftermarket system that needs to support a lot of fuel. Dual external walbros will push you to 900 hp and are dead nuts reliable and quiet.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:16 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had way too many problems with the Dual Walbro setup that is why I quit using it and just do a complete systems now.

Nate
Old 12-22-2005, 04:11 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have vetter rails/regulator...was cheapest route. I have my second pump on a hobbs switch comes on at 4psi. My static fp is 55 psi. Works flawlessly for me and seems to be easily supporting 700+rwhp