Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Dropping a Camaro fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 03:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dropping a Camaro fuel tank

Is there any write ups on it? Is it pretty easy to do? Just looking for a little help. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

What Camaro? A 67 drops easy.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:47 PM
Launching!

Sorry, its on a 2001 for installing a bolt in cage.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

gotta pull the rear end and phb dissconnect the fuel lines and the electric connections
on the driver side rear fender well there is plate that pops out giving you access to the filler neck disconnect it. after that unbolt the 2 metal straps under the tank it should drop freely but i would reccoment getting it as close to empty as possible before doing so.

i just dropped the tank on mine but my rear end and exhaust was already out for the swap. but now that i think about it do you have to drop it just to get access to an area to bolt in the cage?? if so you may not have to completely pull out the tank but you would still have to do a majority of it
Old 05-13-2007, 08:08 AM
11 Second Club

All you need to do is unbolt the PHR, shocks and let the rear hang by the LCA's. Don't let it hang too much or you'll ruin the brake lines. That will give you enough room to pull the exhaust off in one piece. Drop the heat sheild and drop the tank. IMHO, I thought it was rather easy and I did 98% of it myself in my garage on jackstands.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:22 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, we never remove the rear-end, no need to. Bob
Old 05-13-2007, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

FWIW, I didn't have to touch the rear at all. Jack the car up and let the rear hang down as much as possible. Then I just removed the upper PHR and the exhaust at the rear. Then take off 2 heat shields, and you're good to go. That was with a 12 bolt on an '01 car. Drop the pass. side down first, and it will come out. Also since the filler neck has a rubber hose, you can flex it any way you need to.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NHRATA01
FWIW, I didn't have to touch the rear at all. Jack the car up and let the rear hang down as much as possible. Then I just removed the upper PHR and the exhaust at the rear. Then take off 2 heat shields, and you're good to go. That was with a 12 bolt on an '01 car. Drop the pass. side down first, and it will come out. Also since the filler neck has a rubber hose, you can flex it any way you need to.
The only reason I let mine hang was to get the exhaust off. I wanted the exhaust off completely and it had nothing to do with dropping the tank, it did make it easier though.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:02 PM
Teching In

I would suggest buying a Haynes manual if you have any doubts on how to do it. I just dropped my to replace the fuel pump and the manual was pretty detailed. Cant go wrong for 15 bucks.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

just did mine pretty easy i removed the panrod and had another buddy help,i installed it back by my self.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:35 AM
TECH Resident

Like said above, PH assembly - exhaust and heat shields; there are two pieces. Don't neglect to pull the inner fender out enough to unbolt the filler neck brace. It is one bolt and removed easily. Then unbolt the straps; again they come out easy. No need at all to drop the axle beyond the natural extension when the chassis is supported on stands.

Getting the exhaust apart was tough and the ordeal took me hours. It was the dirtiest job I've ever done on any vehicle. I had dirt and rust in my hair, eyes, ears and mouth so wear glasses and a hat but I only dropped the tank down to change wiring and therefore had my arms up over and around the top of the tank.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01Z28M6

Getting the exhaust apart was tough and the ordeal took me hours. It was the dirtiest job I've ever done on any vehicle. I had dirt and rust in my hair, eyes, ears and mouth so wear glasses and a hat but I only dropped the tank down to change wiring and therefore had my arms up over and around the top of the tank.
On my 2002, the exhaust was easy. Getting the hose off the filler neck took about as long. I loosened the clamp, grabbed both exhaust tips and pulled and wiggled. Came right off. I'm not excited by the thought of putting oit back in by mysellf. I'm 62 and working under cars is getting old.

Al

Quick Reply: Dropping a Camaro fuel tank