Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

evap removal question

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default evap removal question

Ok I did a search and couldn't find any definant answers.

Is this the way to remove it?
Its a 98 btw.
Remove the canister and the line that runs to the front of the car to the intake. Cap the intake off. Cap one of the lines coming from the tank and put a rubber line on the other with a filter for venting.

This is a race only car. I'm not worried about gas smell or emmisions. I only need to know if this is the correct way to get rid of it.
Also which codes will I need to delete in the computer?
Old 09-11-2010, 03:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TTT im looking to do the same on my unit
Old 09-17-2010, 07:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

p0442. p0443. p0446. p0449. p0455. p0496. p1665. p2025. p2026. p2027. i think that is all of them. its mainly a environmentle thing not even straight up emissions. glorified way for a gas tank breather to prevent vapor lock.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:30 AM
TECH Regular

Can you just run a straight hose from the rail under the hood to the intake and delete the codes?????
Old 09-20-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Junkie

My installer who installed my cam, capped the EVAP line in the engine bay and on the intake, and just had the EVAP system tuned out. I'm pretty sure there's a whole lot more I could do, but it just cleaned up my engine bay a bit
Old 09-24-2010, 10:17 AM
TECH Regular

So is it okay to delete the codes and run the hose from the fender rail to the intake without the plastic canister and presure valve?
Old 09-25-2010, 10:56 AM
Staging Lane

If you do not vent the tank and run a vacuum line to the evap line going to the tank you will create a vacuum on the tank and cause it to collapse in on its self since their is no fresh air allowed to enter the tank.

The evap system has a vent solenoid as well as a purge solenoid so when its operating it allows fresh air in the tank and draws the fuel vapors into the engine.

Boosted applications need to install a one way check valve or they can pressurize the fuel tank.

If you were going to eliminate the evap completely you will have to add the vent to the tank and install a restriction in the vacuum line from the manifold to the evap line to limit the amount of a vacuum leak you are creating and also limit the amount of fuel vapors you are pulling from the tank.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:35 PM
Launching!

You can remove everything. the tank will vent through the big hose coming off of the top of the tank(black fitting i think). you may have some vapor smell but its a racecar and you said your not worried about that. The tank will not collapse without the evap system operating. Under most conditions the system is not even putting a vacc on the tank. The system is normally vented without command from the ecm (purge valve closed and vent valve open without power or ground). The canister just cuts down the vapors.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:17 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i run my intake capped off and just a little filter on the end of the vent hose in the engine bay. i havnt deleted the codes yet tho
The following users liked this post:
Pbarby (02-05-2023)
Old 09-25-2010, 07:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ls1curt
i run my intake capped off and just a little filter on the end of the vent hose in the engine bay. i havnt deleted the codes yet tho
I assume you have codes set then. The good thing is when there is a system fault it wont keep trying to operate the system so it just vents all the time out of the vent valve after the vapors pass through the canister. You really dont even need a filter. just block it off or remove all the evap stuff under the hood (lines and purge valve).
Old 09-25-2010, 07:47 PM
8 Second Club

i put the filter on the end of the hose where it comes up by the fuel line to keep the line from getting clogged up or anything
Old 09-25-2010, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1quickirocz
You can remove everything. the tank will vent through the big hose coming off of the top of the tank(black fitting i think). you may have some vapor smell but its a racecar and you said your not worried about that. The tank will not collapse without the evap system operating. Under most conditions the system is not even putting a vacc on the tank. The system is normally vented without command from the ecm (purge valve closed and vent valve open without power or ground). The canister just cuts down the vapors.
Didnt see it was for a race car in the OP post but the stock system is always sealed and only operates the vent when its purging the tank thats why the Pain in the *** P0442 code come into play when their is a leak in the system.

The easiest way to do it for a race car is to plug off everything and modify the fill cap to vent this way the vapors are not trapped under the car.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Reaper SS
Didnt see it was for a race car in the OP post but the stock system is always sealed and only operates the vent when its purging the tank thats why the Pain in the *** P0442 code come into play when their is a leak in the system.

The easiest way to do it for a race car is to plug off everything and modify the fill cap to vent this way the vapors are not trapped under the car.
I didnt explain real well what i meant but yea you are right. I was just saying that when the car is off and/or the PCM is not commanding the vent solenoid valve the default vent valve position is open and venting. It vents through the canister before it releases to the atmosphere. Thats why you dont smell gas around your car when you walk around it ( unless your canister is saturated). i guess my point is if you disable the system with the tune then the tank will vent all the time out of the larger hose off the top of the tank that goes into the canister then vent out through the vent valve.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1quickirocz
I didnt explain real well what i meant but yea you are right. I was just saying that when the car is off and/or the PCM is not commanding the vent solenoid valve the default vent valve position is open and venting. It vents through the canister before it releases to the atmosphere. Thats why you dont smell gas around your car when you walk around it ( unless your canister is saturated). i guess my point is if you disable the system with the tune then the tank will vent all the time out of the larger hose off the top of the tank that goes into the canister then vent out through the vent valve.
You are correct.

I assume when they say are removing the system completely that they are taking everything off the car (less weight also) and usually the first thing people do is reach for the rubber block offs and plug everything up usually causing more problems than helping.

Completely seal a tank and it will make its own vent very soon usually scare the hell out of them too .
Old 09-27-2010, 11:29 AM
TECH Regular

So if I cap off the intake, remove the lines in the engine bay and vent the line under the car, have my tuner delete the codes, I should be good to go???
Old 09-27-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ls1curt
i put the filter on the end of the hose where it comes up by the fuel line to keep the line from getting clogged up or anything
Can you post or send me a picture of your set up so I can see what type of filter you are using?

artls1@comcast.net
Old 09-28-2010, 11:54 AM
8 Second Club

someday ill prob vent it right at the tank but this is how it is now

Quick Reply: evap removal question