Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Boost referenced Fuel Pressure Regulator

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 06:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Boost referenced Fuel Pressure Regulator

Hi,
What is this? What is pros and cons? Where can I get it? How much? Any how to ?
Thanks in advance!!!

-Mike
***BTW, I got Mototrons 60lbs injectors
Old 08-30-2007, 08:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MikeC5Vert
Hi,
What is this? What is pros and cons? Where can I get it? How much? Any how to ?
Thanks in advance!!!

-Mike
***BTW, I got Mototrons 60lbs injectors
Mike,
I run the Aeromotive Universal FPR that's boost referenced. Pro's ==== it will 1 psi of fuel per 1 psi of boost hence why it's boost referenced. You can buy them at Jegs, Summit, and just about anywhere else.

I can't think of any con's .......

Cheers,
Tim
Old 08-30-2007, 08:19 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks so much Tim!!!
Is it really hard to install to a stock system?
Thanks,
-Mike
Old 08-30-2007, 08:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MikeC5Vert
Thanks so much Tim!!!
Is it really hard to install to a stock system?
Thanks,
-Mike
Mike,
I'm not so sure about the specs on a stock LS1 system, however, there is no reason why you could not make it work. Typically with the FPR you'll have to hook the vacuum up to it and then hook up the fuel line. I'm sure you could make it work but not exaclty sure how. Sorry but my knowledge of LS1 fuel systems is very limited.

BTW, I recommended the Aeromotive Universal because I've found it to be an outstanding unit, although, I'm sure there are lots of others and maybe a fellow LS1 owner will jump in here and recommend something that will fit in with your stock fuel system better?

Regards,
Tim
Old 08-30-2007, 08:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will not work with a stock LS1 fuel system. You will at a very minimum need a return line & need to remove the stock regulator from the tank. You may also need aftermarket fuel rails, but possibly you could do it with the stock rails, I don't know.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:29 PM
TECH Junkie

If you're at the point of needing a boost ref regulator then I'd say you're beyond the stock fuel systems limits.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:55 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for chiming in..... I said right away that I wasn't sure but that the aeromotive is a good unit. I appreciate you helping out.

I figured it was like my fuel system and you must have aftermarket rails and/or fuel lines, however, wasn't 100% sure and didn't want to just proliferate bogus info.

Thanks!!!!!
Old 08-30-2007, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks y'all ... look like I either need the whole new fuel system or just need to change the tuning file.
I got the tune file from another member with got identical setup but his IFR table's consistant thru out the RPM so I plan to add FPR.

-Mike
Old 08-30-2007, 09:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the 97-98 c5 fuel rails which has a return on it. Also im running a breathless performance 1:1 regulator. I used my purge line as the return to the tank and removed the in tank regulator. Thats a very easy and cheap way to a 600rwhp setup with a good pump in tank.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
I used the 97-98 c5 fuel rails which has a return on it. Also im running a breathless performance 1:1 regulator. I used my purge line as the return to the tank and removed the in tank regulator. Thats a very easy and cheap way to a 600rwhp setup with a good pump in tank.
The in tank pump is easy to replace ... do you have any picture of how install the FPR with 98 LS1 fuel rails since I got 98 C5 as well?
Thanks in advance!!!
-Mike
Old 08-31-2007, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

also interested in more info about that purge line. Decent rails arent too expensive.

If im correct this is how it works?:
-pull tank and chuck regulator thats inside?
-hook VAFPR in-line with feed and give vac source
-run a new line from return on fuel rail to the tank

I wonder how a walbro 255 would do with proper inj, rails, ect
Old 08-31-2007, 09:07 AM
10 Second Club

This should help. I've done this also and it works just fine. Not sure how far it can be taken, but I don't think 700 rwhp would be any problem for this system.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

You don't have to replace the fuel rails if you don't want to. You could get a remote FPR, I assume theyhave these in boost referenced models. They would have a pressure input, a return output and a pressure regulated output going to the rail.

Re'
Old 08-31-2007, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

any link/info to these remote FPRs?
Also:
-does the stock regulator need to be plugged where it once was?
-is the return line basically just a stainless line running from the quick connect in front of the rear axle to the tank (not actually a full new line all the way up to the rails, correct?)
is this pic correct:
Attached Thumbnails Boost referenced Fuel Pressure Regulator-returnsys.jpg  

Last edited by JAvenger007; 08-31-2007 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=JAvenger007]any link/info to these remote FPRs?
Also:
-does the stock regulator need to be plugged where it once was?
-is the return line basically just a stainless line running from the quick connect in front of the rear axle to the tank (not actually a full new line all the way up to the rails, correct?)
is this pic correct:

Bump up because I want to know what to do about unplugging the stock regulator. I am in the same boat.

As for return lines guys, I am using a return line from a 3.8 V6 firebird. They have a normal return line that hooks up to the 97 vette rail and runs all the way back to the quick connect on the regular V8 systems. I thought GM would charge a lot for the fuel lines, but they were only $45.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:38 AM
10 Second Club

Just pop the stock regulator out of the tank, and leave it out. No need to plug anything.
The return line or lines start at the rail, go to the regulator then go from the rail mount regulator to the tank.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01

I'm using the 97-98 rails as well, I just ran a new return line rather than using the EVAP as a return. The new return line starts at the "T" in the hard line near the rear axle.

So is this breathless performance regulator available on their site? The one they have doesn't say its 1:1
Old 09-09-2007, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by No Juice
I'm using the 97-98 rails as well, I just ran a new return line rather than using the EVAP as a return. The new return line starts at the "T" in the hard line near the rear axle.

So is this breathless performance regulator available on their site? The one they have doesn't say its 1:1
So you made a new line running from the front and it connects into the "T" at the back?
Old 09-09-2007, 12:54 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JAvenger007
...-is the return line basically just a stainless line running from the quick connect in front of the rear axle to the tank (not actually a full new line all the way up to the rails, correct?)
yes, that is correct. I am using the stock EVAP hardline along the frame rail and then I just replaced the plastic line with stainless line from there to the tank. The picture below shows where the stainless line attaches to the hard line for the return side.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JAvenger007
So you made a new line running from the front and it connects into the "T" at the back?
Well not exactly. The "T" block near the rear axle has the return line as the third leg of the junction. So I disconnected the return line from the "T" and plugged the "T" where the return line was, then adapted the threads on the hard line to accept a fuel hose. I don't remember the fitting that I used, I'll have to get back to you on that one. So I then ran a new return line to the front following the route of the other lines up to the inner fender. At the fender I used two more fittings to go from the black fuel line hose to the stock vette braided quick disconnect lines. For the feed line I just used the stock vette braided feed quick disconnect line. It worked great and looks stock.
I also used a adjustable fuel pressure reg on stock 97-98 vette rails. I have yet to determine how it acts under boost. I don't believe its 1:1 referenced, but it is working, I'm making 570rwhp on Corn, which requires more fuel

Quick Reply: Boost referenced Fuel Pressure Regulator