Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Voltage Drop and WOT Lean Condition Related?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Voltage Drop and WOT Lean Condition Related?

EDIT: Problem Solved. See Post #22

I've been chasing a lean condition at WOT and have a few questions. I currently have no way of monitoring my fuel pressure, but I have noticed that both my in-dash voltmeter and autotap logged ignition voltage dive to 11.XX volts at WOT. However a digital Volt gauge plugged into the cig lighter doesn't budge from 13.XX Volts during the entire run.

I suspected belt slippage at the alt, so I installed a Katech tensioner, which didn't change the condition at all. Anyway my real question is, if the voltage at my alternator is dropping at high RPM, would that affect my fuel pressure enough to cause a WOT lean condition, or would the battery be able to supply enough voltage for that short (say 10 seconds) period of time?

The car has a stock intank pump, an inline Walbro 255, and SVO 42lb injectors. Most other mods are in my signature. Thanks guys.

Last edited by GC99TA; 05-09-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GC99TA
I've been chasing a lean condition at WOT and have a few questions. I currently have no way of monitoring my fuel pressure, but I have noticed that both my in-dash voltmeter and autotap logged ignition voltage dive to 11.XX volts at WOT. However a digital Volt gauge plugged into the cig lighter doesn't budge from 13.XX Volts during the entire run.

I suspected belt slippage at the alt, so I installed a Katech tensioner, which didn't change the condition at all. Anyway my real question is, if the voltage at my alternator is dropping at high RPM, would that affect my fuel pressure enough to cause a WOT lean condition, or would the battery be able to supply enough voltage for that short (say 10 seconds) period of time?

The car has a stock intank pump, an inline Walbro 255, and SVO 42lb injectors. Most other mods are in my signature. Thanks guys.

Yes, your pump isn't getting enough volts to keep up with the fuel demand.

Do you have a hot-wire kit?

How old is the alternator?
Old 05-01-2008, 12:15 PM
Launching!

I would say that the lean condition is coming from the inline 255 being feed /choked by the stock intank.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2THOUSANDZ
Yes, your pump isn't getting enough volts to keep up with the fuel demand.

Do you have a hot-wire kit?

How old is the alternator?
No hot-wire kit. The alternator was replaced about 6000 miles ago. Bought it from Advance.

Do you think the problem is with the alternator itself, or is there just too much of a voltage demand running both pumps? I should also say that I do have underdrive pullies, but I would think that would be more of an issue at low RPM and not at high. The car charges fine at all other RPMs and conditions except heavy load and high RPM.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by STALL UP
I would say that the lean condition is coming from the inline 255 being feed /choked by the stock intank.
I had someone mention that once before. I'm not saying that it's not the issue, because I'm open to any possibility. But, I've had the inline installed for several years and have put alot of nitrous (dry) to this thing and have never had a WOT lean condition before.

Now that I see two problems at once (voltage drop at WOT and lean condition at WOT), I was more likely to associate the two together. However, I still may remove the inline and try making a few passes on the stock pump alone.

Have you seen an inline pump cause a lean problem before? Thanks.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:44 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Figure out what is causing the voltage drop...that would be my primary concern. Once that comes back, your fuel pressure should too, and that'll take care of your lean condition. Voltage drop like you are having at WOT is not a good thing.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:20 PM
Teching In

No hot-wire kit. The alternator was replaced about 6000 miles ago. Bought it from Advance.

Do you think the problem is with the alternator itself, or is there just too much of a voltage demand running both pumps? I should also say that I do have underdrive pullies, but I would think that would be more of an issue at low RPM and not at high. The car charges fine at all other RPMs and conditions except heavy load and high RPM.
I think the problem is somewhere in the charging system, rather it be the alternator or battery. I don't think the underdrive pulley has anything to do with it.

How many things/accessories do you have on when the car is under heavy load? These all play a part in how much voltage the pump will be getting.

I've never dealt with a in-line pump, so i can't help you out there. I know the principle behind the pump. How does this wire up?

Also, I would not be spraying the car until this is figured out.....
Old 05-01-2008, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Figure out what is causing the voltage drop...that would be my primary concern. Once that comes back, your fuel pressure should too, and that'll take care of your lean condition. Voltage drop like you are having at WOT is not a good thing.
Yeah, I posted in the electronics forum asking specifically what could be causing the voltage drop issue. I want to get it solved whether it's causing the lean condition or not.....although I highly suspect it is after all this feedback. Since I'm not getting any feedback in there yet, any ideas in here about what could be causing this? Can a bad ground cause this? Too much load from having two pump? Bad regulator in the alt? Remember, it only does this at high RPM.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2THOUSANDZ
I think the problem is somewhere in the charging system, rather it be the alternator or battery. I don't think the underdrive pulley has anything to do with it.

How many things/accessories do you have on when the car is under heavy load? These all play a part in how much voltage the pump will be getting.

I've never dealt with a in-line pump, so i can't help you out there. I know the principle behind the pump. How does this wire up?

Also, I would not be spraying the car until this is figured out.....
I'll have to see if I can dig out the receipt for the alternator. I can't remember if it had a lifetime warrenty or not. I get this same condition with two different batteries (diehard gold and my lightweight Odyssey), so I'd think the alt over the battery.

There isn't much on at all.......headlights are off, stereo system and AC have been removed completely. The only things I can think of that are being powered (aside from the obvious like the PCM ect) is the additional fuel pump.

My inline pump is powered by a dedicated hot wire coming off of the battery. This dedicated hot goes through a relay, which is triggered by the stock pumps 12V source. Basically, when the stock pump gets power, the relay gets triggered and the inline gets power straight from the battery.

Oh, and yeah, there's no way in hell I'll be spraying this thing anytime soon I hate seeing it go that lean just on the motor. Scares the **** out of me, but oddly enough, I get very little if any KR. I would think my Wideband was giving false readings if it weren't for the stock O2s showing lean too.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Bad grounds.
Corroded bat ends.
Pump feed wiring fubar.
Pump grnd[s] bad.
Relays bad.
Batt cells going south.
1 of the two pumps took a crap?
GET a FP gauge, and see WTF the FP reads when this happens?
Old 05-02-2008, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
Bad grounds.
Corroded bat ends.
Pump feed wiring fubar.
Pump grnd[s] bad.
Relays bad.
Batt cells going south.
1 of the two pumps took a crap?
GET a FP gauge, and see WTF the FP reads when this happens?
Thanks. I'll start checking grounds, relays, and pump wiring. I've had this condition with two different batteries, so I've ruled that out, as well as the terminals.....they're real clean. I can hear my inline pump running, but I may need to take a closer listen for my stock intank pump.

Does anyone know where I can get a manual FP "test" gauge with a lead long enough to hook to the schrader valve and still be able to tape the gauge to my windshield? At this point I really don't want to buy a more permanent type FP gauge (although it probably wouldn't hurt).
Old 05-02-2008, 01:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I ordered one of these to make sure I do not have this issue.

http://www.speedinc.com/cont.cfm?cid=C0000096

I had heard of it before and liked the concept.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RAMPANT
I ordered one of these to make sure I do not have this issue.

http://www.speedinc.com/cont.cfm?cid=C0000096

I had heard of it before and liked the concept.
Thanks! That's pretty cool. I might have to invest in one of those myself......once I determine what's causing the root of my problem.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would look towards the alternator as a possible problem source...seems that if anyone has problems with them, they have been from the ones they got from Advance/Auto Zone with the lifetime warranties. They don't tend to be the best quality...if you are seeing the drop in voltage on your in dash volt-o-meter, I'd look no further than the alternator.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I would look towards the alternator as a possible problem source...seems that if anyone has problems with them, they have been from the ones they got from Advance/Auto Zone with the lifetime warranties. They don't tend to be the best quality...if you are seeing the drop in voltage on your in dash volt-o-meter, I'd look no further than the alternator.
Yeah, the alternator is getting replaced before I spend any money (or too much time) on any other solution. Unfortunately, I have to wait about a week or so before I can exchange my alternator though. The receipt (warrenty) is in the box, which is in my storage shed behind my in-laws' house in PA. They're mailing me the receipt tomorrow. Oh well, I have to work all weekend anyway.

I'll be sure to post up once this is all resolved. I've searched and found a few other people that have had this exact problem (at least one with a reman alternator). I PM'd two of them about the resolution; one guy hasn't had a chance to replace his alternator yet and the other guy said he thinks his was from belt slippage from not having his manual tentioner installed properly?
Old 05-03-2008, 06:02 AM
TECH Regular

Do you have an external fuel pressure regulator or are you relying on the in-tank POS?
Old 05-03-2008, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fran D
Do you have an external fuel pressure regulator or are you relying on the in-tank POS?
In-tank for now.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:51 AM
TECH Regular

Well, as already suggested in this thread, you may want to try a hot-wire kit and, perhaps, the voltage booster. Both are pretty simple fixes and they may help. However, I found that the in-tank FPR can be a real liability. I'm not making anywhere near your power (<112 MPH), but I was unable to solve a similar high RPM lean-out until I had a stable, deterministic fuel pressure. I went through a Racetronix pump and hot-wire kit (after my stock pump failed) and I also use the voltage booster (you do need to make sure you're getting 13+ V at the pump at WOT). Both helped, to a degree, but didn't solve it. Cutting in the external regulator seems to have taken care of that.

Just some food for thought.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fran D
Well, as already suggested in this thread, you may want to try a hot-wire kit and, perhaps, the voltage booster. Both are pretty simple fixes and they may help. However, I found that the in-tank FPR can be a real liability. I'm not making anywhere near your power (<112 MPH), but I was unable to solve a similar high RPM lean-out until I had a stable, deterministic fuel pressure. I went through a Racetronix pump and hot-wire kit (after my stock pump failed) and I also use the voltage booster (you do need to make sure you're getting 13+ V at the pump at WOT). Both helped, to a degree, but didn't solve it. Cutting in the external regulator seems to have taken care of that.

Just some food for thought.
Thanks. That's very good information. I'm normally as proactive as I can be (subject to my finaces) to upgrade things BEFORE they become a liability, however I haven't done a real good of a job on my fuel system. The inline Walbro was kind of a bandaid fix I used years ago before the Racetronics kit came availabe, and until now everything had peformed very well. I'm already compiling a list of fuel system upgrades, to include a Racetronics in-tank set up with the hotwire kit, and a return-style regulator close to, if not on the rails. What I hadn't considered was the voltage booster until RAMPANT and you brought it to my attention. I'll be adding that as well. Hopefully I'll be replacing my alternator later this week see if that at least cures the voltage drop issue, but i won't be fully satisfied (or spraying the car) until I'm sure I have solid fuel pressure 100% of the time.

Where did you plumb your regulator? Is it physically on the rails, or just mounted on the DS inner-fender? Still stock rails I assume? Thanks.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:11 PM
TECH Regular

...Where did you plumb your regulator? Is it physically on the rails, or just mounted on the DS inner-fender? Still stock rails I assume? Thanks.
Yep, stock rails, I don't need anything more at the moment. I used the external regulator to replace the stock fuel distribution tee in front of the left rear tire (it's where my return line goes back to the tank). Set it once to 59 psi and have now forgotten it.

Quick Reply: Voltage Drop and WOT Lean Condition Related?