Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Truetrac, Locker, or Full Spool

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 10:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Truetrac, Locker, or Full Spool

not really finding what i am looking for.
whats the difference between the 3? i have a 98 Z28 that a weekend warrior and i drive it on the street. which one would be best for street and the strip?
Old 11-01-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Regular

Locker. I DD my locker in an M6 with 3.90's in my 9'' and I do not have any problems whatsoever. An A4 would be even easier to run a locker but once you learn what to do with it in an M6 you can DD it with no problems at all!
Old 11-01-2008, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

im selling a new locker for $320 shipped
Old 11-01-2008, 11:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

i should of said i have an auto. but thanks WS6R6
Old 11-01-2008, 11:54 AM
10 Second Club

It really depends on your setup, goals, and what your willing to to live with on the street. I have an m6 making just over 400rwhp and I orginally had a tru trac, 31 spline axles, and 3.89s. I recently swapped over to a spool, 35 spline axles, and 3.89s because I destroyed my tru trac the first time I took it to the track with the cam. I drive my car on the street alot, in all kinds of weather, and I love the spool. The only time I notice it is when I'm in a parking lot at low speeds. Remeber this is just my opinion and there are people on here running alot of power thru tru tracs and lockers but I chose a spool for the strength and the fact that there are less parts in a spooled setup that can fail. Lockers and tru tracks have many parts and are more complex so failure is increased.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

power goals probaly wont be much. i have headers and a y pipe waiting to be installed. maybe (and thats a big maybe) a shot of nitrous down the road
Old 11-01-2008, 12:01 PM
10 Second Club

A little additional info, you will see us m6 guys running more extreme setups that a4 guys (I.E. spooled and lockers on the street). This is because m6 cars normally need added strengh in the rearend because the violent shocking nature of launching an m6 at the track. A4 cars can preload the suspension better and can get away with a weaker rearend. Since you have an A4 I would recomend either a tru trac or a locker.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

the Truetrac units that come with the rear-ends that EPP sells, are they the new units made by Eaton?
i think i read on here that Eaton bought out the company that made them before
Old 11-01-2008, 02:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 608kZ28
the Truetrac units that come with the rear-ends that EPP sells, are they the new units made by Eaton?
i think i read on here that Eaton bought out the company that made them before
I think so but I'm not positive. I'd call or PM Bob at EPP he is very helpful and a great guy to deal with.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:57 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DTB_LS1
I think so but I'm not positive. I'd call or PM Bob at EPP he is very helpful and a great guy to deal with.
Thanks, I appreciate it!

It says in small print on the logo that it is an Eaton brand. Eaton bought Detroit out several years ago. Whatever stock Detroit had would of been consumed up immediately, as the Truetrac is a strong seller. EPP has sold over one million dollars worth of Moser rears in just the cost of these rears alone. Most of these rears are supplied with Truetrac's, between everyone else and us, that is a boatload. Bob

DETROIT TRUETRAC TORQUE PROPORTIONING DIFFERENTIAL
The Detroit Truetrac is the first gear type limited slip differential in the industry. Its’ patented design of parallel axis planetary helical gears provide a quiet, automatic splitting of torque. Power transfer goes literally unnoticed by the driver – even in front wheel drive axles.

The Detroit Truetrac performs like an open differential under normal driving conditions and automatically transfers torque to the wheel with better traction when ground conditions warrant. The limited slip responds instantly to torque feedback, anytime, at any speed.

Available for 12 Bolt Chevy cars, Ford 8.8 rear ends, and Ford 9” applications, the Detroit Truetrac’s proven design, low cost and effective performance make it the choice of off-road, street, and strip enthusiasts everywhere.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:05 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

not really finding what i am looking for.
whats the difference between the 3? i have a 98 Z28 that a weekend warrior and i drive it on the street. which one would be best for street and the strip?

DETROIT TRUETRAC TORQUE PROPORTIONING DIFFERENTIAL
The Detroit Truetrac is the first gear type limited slip differential in the industry. Its’ patented design of parallel axis planetary helical gears provide a quiet, automatic splitting of torque. Power transfer goes literally unnoticed by the driver – even in front wheel drive axles.

The Detroit Truetrac performs like an open differential under normal driving conditions and automatically transfers torque to the wheel with better traction when ground conditions warrant. The limited slip responds instantly to torque feedback, anytime, at any speed.

Available for 12 Bolt Chevy cars, Ford 8.8 rear ends, and Ford 9” applications, the Detroit Truetrac’s proven design, low cost and effective performance make it the choice of off-road, street, and strip enthusiasts everywhere.

DETROIT LOCKERS
Moser Engineering carries a full line of Detroit Lockers to fit most popular rear ends used on the street, off-road, or on the racetrack. Detroit Lockers are fully automatic locking traction differentials, manufactured by Tractech, a well-known manufacturer of heavy-duty traction differentials for OEM and replacement applications. A Detroit Locker maximizes the available traction by delivering 100% of the torque and power to both drive wheels. It is engineered to keep both wheels in a constant drive mode, yet has the ability to unlock to permit the wheel to turn at different speeds if necessary

MOSER STEEL SPOOLS
Need to upgrade to a true performance spool? We carry a complete line of full spools for most race applications. By changing your carrier to a Moser performance spool, not only will you save weight, but you will also enhance the performance of your car. In addition to performing better, the life of your rear end will increase by reducing deflection in your case and eliminating the possibility of side gear failure. All Moser spools are heat-treated and precision machined. Moser spools are available for most popular rear ends including 10 & 12 bolts, 8.8” and 9” Ford, 8 ” Chrysler, and Dana 60. Moser spools are available in most popular spline counts and our steel spools carry a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser. Ship same day (if ordered before 2p.m. est).

I recommend the Truetrac for our cars that are under 600 rwhp. Past that or if think think you're headed in that direction, then I recommend either a locker or a spool. Choosing between a locker and a spool can be tough. The locker tends to make the back of the car twitchy, as it locks and unlocks. It can scare the hell out of you the first time it happens. Many people hate them and many people get use to them and don't mind it. If it is just a weekend driver, then I don't see a reason not to go with a spool. I personally prefer a spool over a locker. A spool keeps both axles locked together all the time. This isn't good if you do a lot of intercity driving, but if your driving is mostly rural or interstate, the only time you'll remember you have a spool is when you make a 90 degree turn in an intersection, or you attempt to parallel park! lol Bob
Old 11-01-2008, 09:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thumbs up

I have a true-trac in a 9"moser from Bob at Epp, and behind a 6-spd. bracket car with ~360 rwhp (times in sig.) Im still getting used to the change from 3.42s to 4.11s that 1-2 shift comes up in a hurry now, but with a 4000rpm side step on bfg drs it hooks like hell, and produced a 1.78 60' with more in the bank and without any complaints-if Bob says it will live, I'd believe him, he hasnt lied to me yet.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks bob. a rear with true trac might be for me then
Old 11-02-2008, 01:25 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

thanks bob. a rear with true trac might be for me then
You're welcome. Thanks. Bob
Old 11-03-2008, 12:01 PM
11 Second Club

I have a locker in my 9" and wish I would have went with a spool. My car darts around when shifting and if your on the throttle at all when turning it's locked anyway.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went with a locker. I doubt anything I add to this car will break it.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

i've got a locker and it works great. but would've gone spool if i had to do it again
Old 11-04-2008, 01:05 PM

i hate the locker i had in my car worst mod i ever did in my opinion and i am usually a person that can handle alot of things, big cams, solid suspensions, etc, the locker instantly made me say WTF did i do....pulled it out quickly and went tru track
Old 11-04-2008, 01:12 PM
12 Second Club

Not to hi-jack, but to everyone who is saying they prefer a spool over a locker - Can you elaborate on the reasoning? I am trying to decide the same. I have an A4 and am going with a 9 inch rear on a daily driver. Do you daily drive your cars? I am leaning towards spool for a couple of reasons.

1. No loading/unloading of the locker.
2. Simple design. Less to break.

I doubt I will break a locker with any power levels I may go with, but I also don't want the back end kicking out on me around turns. Is a spool bad for anything drivetrain wise other than some premature tire wear?

Does it have any negative handling effects other than maybe not turning as sharp/tire chirping at slow speeds?
Old 11-04-2008, 01:20 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles/1013010-12-bolt-tru-trac-update.html

Check this **** out, just an FYI, this has happend twice, and the car gets raced. So if you ever hope to really drive the car, this MAY happen to you.

Quick Reply: Truetrac, Locker, or Full Spool